Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

I hate thieves!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 12:27 PM
naamanf
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate thieves!

Three months ago I placed my aircraft/motorcycle trailer in storage because I was going to be deployed to Iraq for a year (I am an Army helicopter pilot). I had a Wild Hare Extra, Aeroworks Edge, Giles 202, Su-Do-khoi, lots of tools and parts, and one Harley-Davison Road King Classics in the trailer. Well I am home now here in Colorado Springs on my R&R leave. Yesterday evening while driving to dinner I just happened to look in the other lane and I just caught a glimpse of my Extra in the back of a pick-up driving the opposite direction. I knew it was mine because I originally had an all white one and did my own color scheme. So I end up following this guy back to his trailer park (how fitting) while on the phone with 911. It took a bit of explaining on how I knew that this looser had my airplane. After about thirty minutes and three more calls to 911 two police officers finally showed up. They also couldn't quite figure out how I knew that it was my plane. They wanted proof that it was missing from my trailer. I told them that they might also want to start looking for the other planes and a Harley. After a bit of convincing I got one of the officers to stay at the trailer to make sure the plane didn't walk off while I went to the storage lot with the other one. Sure enough when we got to the trailer all the locks were gone and it was empty.

To make a long story a bit shorter they arrested the guy at the trailer. He was already on parole with an ankle bracelet and a two page rap sheet. He said that he got the plane from a friend who had other ones and was going to sell the motor and electronics and trash the plane. He also said that plane had been with his friend for the last three months. Didn't know any thing about a Harley though. As far as I know now they haven’t found anything else. And I have the feeling everything else is long gone. I just can't believe the coincidence that I am back on R&R driving in a somewhat large city and I see my plane (which was stolen three months ago) in the back of a pick-up. And he was only a mile from home. Freaky.

Out of all this I really suggest if you have to store anything that you make sure it’s at a very reputable storage facility. I asked the manager before I stored it if they have any problems and she told me that it’s all safe and they haven’t had any problems in a long time. The police told me a bit of a different story. It’s also funny that it was stolen right when I left it there, the manager remembers me, she knew I was concerned about it being broken into (must be something valuable in there), she knew that I was going away for a year, and she even knew where I found my cut lock with three months of rust on it. Err. Now I just need to see how quickly Safeco and State Farm can take care of claims.

If any one cares I will keep you updated. Oh yeah I recovered the Extra. It is badly hanger rashed, broken in a couple of places, but may fly again. On a plus it looks like I will have room for the 40% Yak I plan on building when I get back.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:43 PM
bhanley

Default RE: I hate thieves!

Really sorry about your loss. Hope the insurance companies come through.
Best of lucl
Old 06-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Stik-n-Rdr

Sorry to hear about that naamanf. You're over there risking your tail-end for our country and vermin like that are helping themselves to your hard-earned goods. Too bad we can't send those Trailer Trash scum into theater as scouts and IED testers.

Pretty funny how you saw your plane three months after it was stolen. You know, another thing that bites is that it sounds like you really had to work the police to get the case resolved. That's a shame.

Good luck with your claim, and thanks for the sacrifices you're making for us!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:17 PM
naamanf

IED scout. I like that. I had to work the 911 operators more than the police. Once the police realized what was really going on they did a pretty good job. I do not think its all over yet. But I do have a feeling the rest of the stuff is long gone. It also sucks when put a lot of time building a plane and they just trash it for the parts. That should be a crime itself.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Sailor
My Feedback: (1)

Do you have any legal recouse with the storage company? I would be talking to my lawyer about their lack of security.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
AP

sorry to hear this one!!!! to bad people dont get it. I HOPE YOU GET IT ALL BACK

FREEDOM ISNT FREE U.S.A
Old 06-11-2005, 08:46 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Thank-you for giving so much for the freedoms that I and all Americans enjoy.

I'm glad that you were able to find that scum. I hope that he and his friend are locked up for a LLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time due to a long rap. I hope all goes well on your 40% yak.
Again, Thank-you for serving America to help the Iraqi people and to help give them the freedoms that I enjoy because of your service.
Godspeed.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:14 PM
naamanf

So far it looks like the rest of the stuff is gone. They (police) think that the Harley will show up at some point. I just hope that my insurance takes care of me. As far as serving, thank you for the support, but remeber you all due your part to make this a great nation and I am happy to due mine to make sure we are all safe. Except the above mentioned scum. If only everybody would get on board and try in their own way to contribute to society, instead of take way from it.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:57 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Sux to hear about your loss. It does however never cease to amaze me that the only thing protecting 20 grand worth of toys was $20 worth of locks.

I work in the security industry and unfortunately I see this stuff every day. If we don't make it hard for the D*CKS to steal our stuff they will keep doing it. I had a guy lose a $500,000 Ferrari when he put it in one of those self lockup places (trying to hide it from the wife)... the rollup door - it was secured with a $6 Ace hardware padlock. The car was never recovered and his insurance only covered 100K of the loss. There were tire marks 40' long where they dragged it out of the garage and probably put in on the flatbed.

These thieves don't care that we spend hard earned cash, or that we are fighting to protect our country, or that we worked years to pay for something like a Harley, etc. Hell they don't even care if you are a cop!! A police helmet was stolen off a officer's motorcycle the other day!! Talk about some kahunas!

The thieves are increasingly bold and they are FAST. My truck was broken into a few months ago - in broad daylight during business hours only feet from windows and people. The thief used a screwdriver to punch through the door so he could actuate the unlock mechanism. Probably took him 5 seconds to get in. Once he got in he found a horrible disappointment however. I have an interior alarm (200 DB - well past the threshold of pain) + battery cutoff and computer disable system. No thief in the world will get my truck. Even if he makes it past the 10 seconds it would take to avoid going deaf from the sounder, if he didn't enter the alarm code the computer will never turn on rendering the vehicle completey useless. They could tow it, but the engine would never run again unless they tore the whole ECU and harness out!!

So an houre later the jackass came back and stole the guys' truck next to mine instead!!

You got to make it hard for these jerks to get away with it.
My bikes are chained down, alarmed, and the ECUs removed when in storage. If a thief tries anything around my stuff there will be hell to pay!

I've put more than a few people in the slammer trying to catch some easy prey.

I really hope you can recover your loss.
DP
Old 06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
JuniorPilot

That sucks...When I get older I want to become a motorcycle builder. If someone stals one of my bikes there is gonna be HELL to pay [sm=punching.gif]
Old 06-11-2005, 11:54 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you for your military service naamanf.
At least you still have a positive attitude, don't know if I could
ORIGINAL: naamanf

On a plus it looks like I will have room for the 40% Yak I plan on building when I get back.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:05 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

I would have been hard pressed to wait for the police to handel the matter. Well done! Be Safe when you return to to sand box!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:27 AM
RustyTumbles

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have also served over in the middle east, however all my gear was safe at home with my wife.

Good to hear you nailed one of those scum baggs!!!! Hope ya insurance comes though and you get some nice new planes...
Old 06-12-2005, 03:55 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: desertpig

My bikes are chained down, alarmed, and the ECUs removed when in storage. If a thief tries anything around my stuff there will be hell to pay!
My property is protected by Winchester, Charter Arms, Colt, and Remington Most anybody around here knows it, so they don't try, LOL.
and when in storage, my bike is stored minus the fuel lines and fuel petcock...not that they'd steal it anyway, lol. My car is stored with no computer or plug wires when it's stored, so good luck gettin 'er started
a guy stole my rc MT out of my passenger seat of my car while i was in my LHS for 10 minutes. how crappy was THAT.
and i'm glad you naild the douches that took your plane....i hope you got 15 minutes alone in a room with him
Old 06-12-2005, 06:34 AM
JBrannon

Thank you for serving in the Military. I hope the insurance companies pay for your loss.

He was already on parole with an ankle bracelet and a two page rap sheet.
This guy should be in prison watching his back side but even being a convicted criminal, he is out preying on honest people.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:03 AM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

I am glad you cought one of them I think I would try to take the cost of replacement and repair out of his *****! It should be an automatic 20 years for anyone caught commiting a crime agianst someone who is 10,000 miles away fighting to protect our freedom and the freedom of the scum stealing from them! Thank you for your service! Good luck over there and watch your back!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:24 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Naamanf
I live in Colorado Springs as well, at Claremont Ranch off of Constitution and Marksheffel. I fly at Judge orr. You?
Also, if you have any pics, you can pm or email them to me or post them up at some of the (few) local hobby shops. I know that Dan at Pikes Peak hobbies would be happy to do anything he can to help you out. I, too will keep a lookout for crackheads trying to sell planes around here!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:32 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

My property is protected by Winchester, Charter Arms, Colt, and Remington Most anybody around here knows it, so they don't try, LOL.
and when in storage, my bike is stored minus the fuel lines and fuel petcock...not that they'd steal it anyway, lol. My car is stored with no computer or plug wires when it's stored, so good luck gettin 'er started
a guy stole my rc MT out of my passenger seat of my car while i was in my LHS for 10 minutes. how crappy was THAT.
and i'm glad you naild the douches that took your plane....i hope you got 15 minutes alone in a room with him

One of my best friends, Mac, guards my life and stuff while I am at home .. as in MAC 10. I don't worry about too much when I am home and take precautions when I am not.
When I travel Mr. Walther PPK keeps me company.

Funny you mention the Monster Truck - those must be real items for petty thieves these days - I have been at two LHS's here in AZ lately, just seconds away from guys stealing them off the shelf or counters of the store right under the nose of the owner(s)... crazy stuff. Wish I could have been in a position to stop the MF. One of the guys put the MT on the counter, pretended like he was going to get his wallet - then said he forgot his wallet in his car so he went out in the parking lot, backed his car up close to the door, came in and stole the truck literally right under the owner's nose. I was about 20 feet away and was not able to get him. I would have loved to get a handfull of that little jerk.

DP
Old 06-16-2005, 12:01 PM
naamanf

Quick update for those that might care. For the motorcycle State Farm did a great job and I had the check yesterday. No hassles no problem. Now for the planes it was a bit more difficult. Adjusters just can't believe how much money we put into our "toys". I had to do a lot of explaining about what goes into the planes. They were shocked to hear that it takes 8 servos at $100 a piece. But in the end they agreed to give me what I claimed. Definitly make sure you save all your recipts. I only had about half of them. I am sure if I had them all (especially those nickle and dime ones form the hobby shop) I could have asked for a bit more. Now I can start planning a 40% build when I get back, keeping every last receipt. To bad we can't get crash insurance.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Liberator

Naamanf,

I'm very glad to hear that you were covered by the Insurance Company. At least one of the jerks got caught.

It reminds of a story years ago. I worked for a video store company and one of our customers came in and asked about a list of movies titles and the cost to replace them. While he and his family were out of town, kids broke into the house and either stole or broke EVERYTHING inside of the house. All the carpets were slashed as were the bed's, pillows, sofa, chairs etc. They broke all of the walls out and took about 48 hours to ruin the entire home.

At least that was the theory.

It turns out it was some neighbors that the guy had a run in with, so they caught the 3 guys that did it.

But wait it gets better.

The guy who was the victim, is also the same guy at the State Prison that decides who bunks with whom.

Because he was a member of the law enforcement community, no plea bargain was offered and they ended up serving some time, not sure how much.

But as they walked through processing, there is the guy whose house they trashed waiting with their sleeping arrangments.

Revenge is a dish, best served cold.

Good luck putting stuff back together!

Tom
Old 06-16-2005, 11:52 PM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

Arrrgh, the thought of theving RC goods makes me angry... and scared. I have probobly 10k worth of aircraft stored in my trailer behind my house and it scares me that they might be stolen.

Fortunately state farm homeowners coveres the trailer at home, and all I fly is arf's, so I have no lasting attachment to my planes, just the $$ they represent...

Now if I was flying carden or kits, there would be hell to pay if one got stolen!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:04 AM
naamanf

State Farm. Good choice. They have always treated me very good.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:58 AM
chines
My Feedback: (2)

Great to hear that they helped you out. I am at FT Hood and it is crazy all the stuff people steal from the troops.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

You could do it OLD WEST STYLE<,,,,[sm=surprised.gif]
Old 06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Sux to hear about your loss. It does however never cease to amaze me that the only thing protecting 20 grand worth of toys was $20 worth of locks.

I work in the security industry and unfortunately I see this stuff every day. If we don't make it hard for the D*CKS to steal our stuff they will keep doing it. I had a guy lose a $500,000 Ferrari when he put it in one of those self lockup places (trying to hide it from the wife)... the rollup door - it was secured with a $6 Ace hardware padlock. The car was never recovered and his insurance only covered 100K of the loss. There were tire marks 40' long where they dragged it out of the garage and probably put in on the flatbed.

These thieves don't care that we spend hard earned cash, or that we are fighting to protect our country, or that we worked years to pay for something like a Harley, etc. Hell they don't even care if you are a cop!! A police helmet was stolen off a officer's motorcycle the other day!! Talk about some kahunas!

The thieves are increasingly bold and they are FAST. My truck was broken into a few months ago - in broad daylight during business hours only feet from windows and people. The thief used a screwdriver to punch through the door so he could actuate the unlock mechanism. Probably took him 5 seconds to get in. Once he got in he found a horrible disappointment however. I have an interior alarm (200 DB - well past the threshold of pain) + battery cutoff and computer disable system. No thief in the world will get my truck. Even if he makes it past the 10 seconds it would take to avoid going deaf from the sounder, if he didn't enter the alarm code the computer will never turn on rendering the vehicle completey useless. They could tow it, but the engine would never run again unless they tore the whole ECU and harness out!!

So an houre later the jackass came back and stole the guys' truck next to mine instead!!

I've put more than a few people in the slammer trying to catch some easy prey.

I really hope you can recover your loss.
DP
If you indeed have a 200 db sound generator loan it to the fellow to take back to Irac. It would make a dandy death ray. I don't know what you are using as a reference but if 100 db were 1 watt of sound power 200 db would be 1,000,000,000 watts It would fry averything close to it. I doubt that you could get that power out of a battery, though.