Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

MacMinarelli Company is not dead......

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

MacMinarelli Company is not dead......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default MacMinarelli Company is not dead......

Contrary to prior postings, the company is alive, well and now referred to as Aviomac. The Management team bought the company from the original family owners and continues production.

Great Planes/Tower is no longer the distributor in the USA (Aviomac's choosing) and at this time a replacement has not been named. Currently Tower (Hobby Services) will honor the warranty/parts on engines they sold (70cc twins are still in stock).

I personally own all three Mac twin sizes and find they are beautifully engineered and manufactured engines. These engines have been bashed as being underpowered and overweight. Upon questioning the bashers, I found 99% had never owned, run or seen a Mac. Those who have hands on experience, love them, even the few who had teething problems .

MacMinarelli is the engine to beat in the Kart and mini Hydroplane racing circuits throughout Europe and South America. I guess they know how to build engines that perform and endure.

So Mac owners, you don't own an orphan. Their new home is www.aviomac.com.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29592_4082.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	18835  
Old 10-09-2002, 05:44 PM
Dick T.

....and how about this monster being released in the November along with the above.

They also have smaller gas singles and a glow version of the 70cc twin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29606_4082.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	18836  
Old 10-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Giant Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get this link to work, says not found on server.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:21 AM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see they are continuing production. I have seen a couple of these run and have always been impressed, I was wondering if they would ever put out single cylinder engines in the 40cc range. The 42 on their website looks very interesting.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:41 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

How 'bout some performance/weight figures?
What'll they turn a Menz-S 26x10?
What do they weigh with mufflers?
How many hours you have on yours?
Is it durable and trouble free?
Does it start easily? As easy as a Fuji?
Require a spring starter?
Electronic ignition or magneto?

Not really interested in a racing kart.
If I was, I'd lean towards a Yamaha.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:56 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

I would like to see one running, no one I know has one around here. i heard they are hard to start? Is that so?

Doug
Old 10-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Dick T.

My hands on experience is with the 85cc and bench running of the 70cc.

First starts on both came after 6-10 flips choked (gas dripping from the bottom carb) to a brief run. Opened choke, started and idled on 3-4 flips. Both start on 3-4 flips once warmed.

The 85 has more time and starts easier every session. I think this is a combination of learning the starting proceedure and the compression increasing as the rings seat.

The Aviomac engines are magneto equipped with separate coil/plug harness. The also include a battery powered "Jump start" box that unplugs after the engine starts. This provides and electronic spark to ease the amount of grunt needed to create a magneto spark.

First 85cc runs on a friends had recommended 24 X 10 (Zinger Pro), got 6400 rpm right away. After two gallons switched to Bolly Carbon 26 X 10, got 6800rpm where it remains right now. Another fellow has the 85 on a 27 lb Lanier Staudacher. Climbs easily out of half throttle hover with Mejzlik (sp?) carbon prop (I don't know the pitch but it is 26" dia. His now has over 10 gallons thorugh it.

85 cc with Bisson mufflers weighs roughly 7.5 pounds (less than spec on Towers web page).

Engines are proving to be durable and very smooth running. Yes they are heavier than other engines in their class, similar to Zenoah's in weight and specs. Many fellows won't want either of these brands due to weight alone, however for my flying styles (Imac type pattern, sport and scale) they are a great value .
Old 12-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Aviomac-Mac

The Aviomac company are still kicking. Take a look at the swedish website at: http://aviomac.just.nu - a Swedish retailer of Aviomac engines.

Aviomac is now available from 35cc Glow, 42cc glow or Gas, 70cc twin Glow or Gas, 85cc Twin Gas, 125cc Twin Gas, 1600cc Quad Gas, 250cc Gas and 240cc Six cylinder Gas. Affordable prices, brute power, easy handling, Only 4% oil - economic and durable. Three year warranty. Magnetoe or 4.8 V Digital Electronic Ignition System.

Regards and Happy New Year from Sweden
Old 01-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Hotplanes

Default AvioMac 85cc Mufflers *** Wanted.***

I'm looking for a pair of mufflers for my 85cc twin. Also any info as far as mods, props of choice, accesories for this engine someone may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hotplanes.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:19 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Default Minarelli Engines

I believe that these engines might just be the best deal around for giant scale twins. I have a 70cc twin, that I bought it for $500, including a set of Bisson mufflers, shipped to my door. It's been bench run only, and LNIB. I recently saw one here at RCU sell for $450, including mufflers and it was NIB. I'm basing this on what I've seen and heard, as I have not flown mine yet. A friend of mine loves his.
I think that the performance guys who are looking for the best possible power to weight ratio's may be scaring people away from these engines. Beyond that, I have not heard any other complaints about them. As a scale builder, I don't need that kind of performance. Most of my models are of Golden Age aircraft, and don't mind the extra nose weight anyway.
I'm looking forward to getting my current project finished so I can fly my Mac!
Dick, thanks for the link to their new home.

Cheers, Nigel
Old 01-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Dick T.

Nigel,

Enjoy your Mac. They are the best hidden value in the market right now. I recently bought the 70 advertised here for $450.00 including mufflers, all NIB, and I will continue to look for more.

These engines are jewels and I agree the hot dogs are scaring others away from these (Zenoah's too).

I talked to an importer/dealer at the AMA Pasadena, Ca. show who is considering contacting AvioMac about importing the line as these engines are hot items in his home country. I suggested he promote the engine as sport and scale powerplants rather than competiting with the 3D Wahoos. He agreed and is going to persue it.

Tower says they dropped the line as it did not sell well...no wonder as they never promoted it. Web sources say AvioMac dropped them when the company changed owners for that very reason, non promotion.

Hope it gets picked up again, meanwhile the overseas dealers will gladly sell/service the engine.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:09 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Originally posted by Giant Scale
I can't get this link to work, says not found on server.
Just tried it; as with a lot of sites lately it doesn't work with older versions of Netscape. It works fine with IE.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:23 PM
grandstand
My Feedback: (290)

Default RE: Minarelli Engines

I need someone with a Mac 70 to help me with a measurement on the back of the engine..HELP [email protected]
Old 02-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Dick T.

grandstand, sent you an email.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Dick T.

AvioMac Web site is http://www.aviomac.com. Works only with Internet Explorer.

US Supplier is http://www.hobbyclub.com in Irvine, California. Talked with owner, Alberto, at the AMA Show. Now stocking the 42cc gasser with electronic ignition. Will add to inventory if sales determine it. However, he will special order any AvioMac you may want.

These engines are sweet guys and reasonably priced. 3D'ers and hot dogs need not apply as you will find something to bash so save the stick fingers.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:43 PM
grandstand
My Feedback: (290)

Dick Tristao Got me going.....We E-Mailed back and forth...I must tell everyone ...I CANT THANK HIM ENOUGH...A REAL GOOD GUY..And knowes the Mac engine well.....THANKS Grandstand
Old 02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: MacMinarelli Company is not dead......

I still have my Mac 70 with CH Ignition. It's one smooth and powerful engine. Even though I have no immediate plans to use it, I'm hanging on to it. One reason I like Macs is that the crankshaft support extends all the way forward to the prop hub, with a bearing up front. I believe this is part of the reason why it runs so smooth. The CH electronic ignition took more than 1lbs off the engine, so even though it's still a bit heavier than some of the new-fangled super light twins, it's not exactly a pig either. I don't doubt it'll do justice in the right 30-33% scale aerobat. It'll probably go in the Lanier 35% Giles 202 if I ever get around to finishing it.

Too bad Tower/Hobbico can't seem to figure out how to sell gas engines. They are floundering now with the Fuji line just as they were clueless with the Mac. I'm glad to hear somebody is picking up the Mac line. These engine are built like, uh..., Mac trucks. Unlike the superlights, these are unlikely to disintegrate into oblivion on the second prop strike. Unfortunately, the 3D wiz kids have everybody convinced that lightweight is a virtue to be upheld above all else.

There are still some of us who know better.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Cardiac Flier

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO RE-INSTALL MAGNETO ON AVIOMAC 85.TOOK IT OFF TO DISSASEMBLE ENGINE TO CHECK CRANK. I THOUGHT IT WAS ON A KEYED SHAFT, BUT ONLY THE MAGNET HAS A KEYWAY [email protected]
Old 05-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Dick T.

Sent you the manual via email. Anyone else needing the manuals (updated versions) can download the PDF's from the Aviomac web site. Their site only works wiht Internet Explorer.

www.aviomac.com
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 PM
stufandjux

I'm glad to see somebody else has the MacMinarelli. I just perchased the 70 for my tow plane. NIB. One of the wires from the back of the engine was disconected and I can't see where is was connected. Anyway No spark at all. Took the plugs out and turned it over with an electric started to make sure. I finally gave up and ordered a CH ignition system for it I hope all goes better from now on.