Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

NEW 30% BME EDGE II

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 AM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW 30% BME EDGE II

I think I mentioned going 1 1/2 on the elevators. I am using 1 1/4 and while the carbon fiber rod doesn't hit the elevator, the control horn does...leaving little indents in the hor. stab sheeting A longer servo arm would allow for a slightly better geometry on the control horn side giving a bit more throw without the control horn coming into contact with the underside of the horz stab. This is only a problem of course when the elevators move downward. Up elevator is fine obviously. I may yet switch to 1 1/2 arms for the elevators as a result. Can't have enough throw!

Cheers,

John
Old 11-15-2005, 08:38 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bet that you're using the Dubro HD control horns. The part that extends out to the clevis is longer than the Nelson ones and therefore reach being over the hing line. But they also hit the stab underneath. The Nelson's are shorter and don't hit the stab. But the Nelson's don't line up over the hinge line. Trade off's.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:54 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys, I put 4 more flights on my edge yesterday in the cold weather, the more I fly it the more I think this is definately one of the best 50cc planes out there.. No wingrock in harriers and elevators, hovers sooooooooooooooo easy! Yet flies very very light. The DA50 gives it rocketship vertical performance. The fast walls, oooooh, gotta see them!! Ill try to get some video next wed. when we go out again. love it!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:02 AM
JoeAirPort

I'll try to maiden this weekend. It's supposed to by high of 43 Sunday so that's my best chance. As long as it's not windy it'll be a go. I did my final radio setup last night. I found out that the wing bolts go in much easier if you put a hole in the covering first...
I haven't applied my graphics yet. I have some cool stuff from DA, and some True Turn stickers. I have the stock graphics as well. That's a winter project.

Hey John do you know what your final weight came in at?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:11 PM
JohnVH

Hey Joe, I have not weighed mine yet, Ill do that next time out. But I can tell you this, I dont care what the plane weighs, it could weigh 50lbs and fly this good and Id buy another one. This edge is awesome.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:36 AM
David_Moen

The plastic arms on Dubro control hors are easily modified to get the hole perfectly lined up over the hinge line. Shorten them and drill as required!
Old 11-20-2005, 06:35 PM
JoeAirPort

Well I finally got a maiden. It went really well. The CG was at 5.5" or just a hair more and it was dead nuts perfect for my flying (mostly 3D and some IMAC).. It flew almost perfectly level when inverted hands off. It almost seemed like I needed maybe a click if that of down. It flew and landed fine so it can handle an aft CG apparently. The thing has ZERO coupling in knife edge at this CG. If I went to high alpha I might have to pull up elevator but I wasn't getting that crazy on my first 4 flights. It rolls really fast on low rates, the elevator feel was perfect for my tastes. It really pulled hard with zero snappage. Snap rolls were fast enough for me. Take off was very short, maybe 20 feet max. 4 point rolls were very easy compared to my other Edge (DPM 27%). Landings were very cool. The thing just kind of floats in completely locked in on the roll axis. You get a lot of chances to land on the same approach. Just keep correcting and it doesn't run out of lift. Amazing plane IMO. All 4 landings were feather soft and it wasn't too hard to do. I needed a few clicks of down and some throttle to keep it pointed down at lower approach speeds (aft CG I imagine). The new DA was too rich but was reliable so I just left it. Ran it right out of the box as is. It started first flip after the first start of the day. No graphics yet but I just wanted to get it flying. I'll finish that this winter. I have some pic's from the field. I also have a ton of build pic's that I will post later when I have more time. Sorry the pic's are so huge, I'll have to re-size them later.

Joe

Old 11-20-2005, 06:40 PM
JoeAirPort

pic's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33981.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	357685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46722.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	357686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94938.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	357687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31029.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	357688  
Old 11-20-2005, 06:44 PM
JoeAirPort

pic's

That manual choke idea is a good one. I think I got it from Syd.

That rubber grommet one is mine. It worked great. I just cut a slit in the grommet and medium CA glued it into the slot that I dremmeled into the cowling. The wire does not fall out in flight and is not to hard to get in and out when I need to.

Name:	Xv62897.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	357691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58027.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	357692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63155.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	357693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98551.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	357694  
Old 11-20-2005, 07:49 PM
JoeAirPort

pic's

Name:	Nl28331.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	357702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83634.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	357703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72285.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	357704  
Old 11-20-2005, 09:03 PM
drbebob

Joe-- Congrats on your maiden flights. It sounds like you are already bonding with her. The floating on landing could be rear CG or could be too much downthrust. Where are your elevators with reference to the stabs in straight and level trim? If you are tail heavy you will probably have a trace of down elevator; if it's a thrust problem you will probably be carrying up elevator. If it is not pulling or pushing in knife edge it is probably CG related.

Bob
Old 11-20-2005, 10:57 PM
JoeAirPort

Hey Bob, I think it's just that the CG's a little aft. I did a thrust test by chopping the throttle and it stayed level, no balloon. I think the CG is right at the end of the most aft point I'd want it. Any more aft and it would climb inverted. I looked at the elevators and can't see any up or down. They are pretty much right at neutral. I did have to give it up trim on the maiden but that's because I just eyed the elevators in my basement.

It will take many more flights to do the full trim on it. Can't wait.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:47 PM
JohnVH

Right on man, I knew you would love it!! Its a winner!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 AM
JoeAirPort

Yep John, you were right the thing flies like a dream. Can't wait to 3D it, I was tempted to give it a good work out but I didn't want to push it. The engine is brand new and running very rich. I need confidence that it will keep running when I'm 5 feet off the ground. Thanks for the referral.

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Right on man, I knew you would love it!! Its a winner!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM
drbebob

Joe-- That's good thinking on the motor break in and 3D. I would not go low level until you have 3 gallons through the motor and lean out after swithching to all synthetic. I have had 3 flameouts during the break in period; all at low throttle doing 3D but luckily, or rather by design I was 2 mistakes high. This airplane deadsticks beautifully but will glide forever so be prepared to FLY it onto the runway and add a bit of down elevator to keep it stuck to the same runway even putting the tail up a bit to put on the brakes.
When you switch to synthetic oil I would not jump immediately to Amzoil 100:1 but would go with a more conservative mix. I am using Honda HP2 which is a 32:1 mix and the motor runs beautifully on it. The point being that you want a bit of what the motorheads call "cushion" especially when it comes to the period when you are leaning the motor in and may go a bit too far in the lean direction. This advice was given to me by someone who has been racing motorcyles and building and customizing racing motors for over 30 years and also flys models. You don't need the extra power you will get with a 100:1 mix and you will have some insurance protecting and prolonging the life of that $600 investment.

Bob
Old 11-21-2005, 11:50 AM
JohnVH

Hi Joe, I have never had a deadstick on my gas, or DA engines.. but would still wait until broken in until touching the tail, thats my rule anyway.. I would not fear going straight to 100:1 amzoil after a few gallons of ashless. Ive had two new 150's, a 100, and a 50 and did this way to all with no fear. Just fly and have fun! Two more days until I do!
Old 11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
drbebob

John--- If I had run as many gas motors as you have, I probably would think about making the jump to 100:1 right off the bat too. Some of us need to gain experience adjusting gas motors before that kind of confidence surfaces; it would be nice not to scuff a few cylinder liners along the way.

Bob
Old 11-21-2005, 01:39 PM
JohnVH

Bob, Im not an expert, or try to sound like one.. but, you wont have any issues going to 100:1, there is still oil there, its synthetic, and its how thousands of people are doing it. either way, probably no wrong way other than mixing the oil wrong..
Old 11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
drbebob

John-- I have a lot of confidence in the information I received from my motorcyle engine guru and I will share that with you. He said that point at TDC where the piston reverses direction in the firing cycle is susceptible to wear over time when using very low oil concentrations. You will not notice anything for quite a long time but then will start losing rpm as compression bleeds off at that point. In the racing world that is not a huge problem since they go for max rpm and plan to rebuild the motor every few races. He just said that since we aren't racing and are getting enough power on 32:1 why not go for long motor life and consistent runs. He has used every brand of racing oil available and has literally rebuilt thousands on motors for his team and for others and says that Honda HP2 is the best; period. He also says it can be run at 50:1 with very near the same results. He also says that Amzoil is great stuff--- if you are racing. Personally, I don't have a lot of money to spend on these high dollar motors so I will stick with the conservative approach and try to get as may flights out of my motors as possible. My Edge II weighs 15.25 lb and the DA50 will knife edge loop it effortlessly so I don't need the extra power.

Bob
Old 11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
JohnVH

Hi Bob,
Thats great, and nothing wrong with that. To each there own, and I go with what the manufacturer says to do. Never had a problem, and wont. I cant afford another motor right now either, but I trust the people that make the engines..

Have fun, the edge is a awesome plane!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:59 PM
JoeAirPort

Has anyone had any luck getting some extra covering for this Edge? Like the dark blue color? Is it just a standard Ultracote color? I'd like to customize mine a tad over the winter.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

FWIW Amsoil itself says that for competition / high performance, you can mix it down to 1:50 to 1:80, so that's what I did.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:07 PM
drbebob

I trust them too but also realize that they are in the business of selling and repairing motors so there is some conflict of interest issues there whereas my friend with all the micrometers and experience has no similar conflicts.

Bob
Old 11-21-2005, 11:13 PM
drbebob

Joe--- When I received my Edge it was missing a dark blue stripe from the top of the left wing. I called Max and asked if he could send me the stripe or some material for replacement as I didn't feel like spending $15 on a roll of Ultracote for one stripe. He said he would send enough for the stripe but never did. My feeling is that I would like to strip the whole thing and start over with a sanding block; but then I would be looking at about $60 and a lot of time.

Bob
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 AM
JoeAirPort

I don't mind getting a roll if it matches. I want to get rid of the rainbows and just put solid dark blue. I think it would look very good, like it was meant to be that way. I wonder if any Ultra Coat color is a direct match? That's my concern.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.