Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

NEW 30% BME EDGE II

Old 12-08-2005, 04:08 PM
drbebob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW 30% BME EDGE II

It is definitely Ultracote/Oracover. It has been applied quickly and with too much heat. That's kinda understandable when "time is MONEY". While Ultracote is classified as a high temperature film it has a medium temperature adhesive. What happens when you try to iron out wrinkles with too much heat is that the adhesive releases at the same the film shrinks; ;the wrinkle stays and the seam moves. Ultracote used to be the best covering when it was distributed by Carl Goldberg. It was made in the Oracover factory to Goldberg specs and was wonderful to work with. Then it changed to the exact same product as Oracover. Give me good old Monocote any day.
Do not use black Oracover on sun exposed surfaces; it will do the adhesive releasive trick and bubble.

Bob
Old 12-09-2005, 04:58 AM
aeromax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi sass. yes the version III of Edge and the version II Yak are almost ready to ship, just waiting for the new CF tail wheel brackets. The new version comes with all the CF goodies (include new production of the CF tail wheel bracket) that's included in the current version. Plus built-in canister tunnel, heavy duty aluminum control horn (Rocket City type), wing bags, stab bags, fuse bags, Dubro 20 oz. fuel tank, Dubro ball links. This will cover everything that you need to complete the plane except spinner. The Yak even has a enlarged wing area of 1457 sq.in.
We will also offer set price of SWB doule-lock servo arms for your choise of JR, Futaba and Hitec. Set price will include 2x 1.5" half arm, 2x 1.25" half arm and 1x 3" full arm.

Aeromax
Old 12-09-2005, 11:39 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a lot of extra goodies, sounds good. How much?

ORIGINAL: aeromax

Hi sass. yes the version III of Edge and the version II Yak are almost ready to ship, just waiting for the new CF tail wheel brackets. The new version comes with all the CF goodies (include new production of the CF tail wheel bracket) that's included in the current version. Plus built-in canister tunnel, heavy duty aluminum control horn (Rocket City type), wing bags, stab bags, fuse bags, Dubro 20 oz. fuel tank, Dubro ball links. This will cover everything that you need to complete the plane except spinner. The Yak even has a enlarged wing area of 1457 sq.in.
We will also offer set price of SWB doule-lock servo arms for your choise of JR, Futaba and Hitec. Set price will include 2x 1.5" half arm, 2x 1.25" half arm and 1x 3" full arm.

Aeromax
Old 12-10-2005, 05:44 PM
sass25479
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That a great package, I'll have to start saving for the Yak.
Will you be selling the wing, stabilizer, & fuselage bags for the Edge separately? I'm assuming that the wing size hasn't changed between versions two and three?

I intended to use 1.25" servo arms for the elvevator and the ailerons. Does this mean that I should be using 1.25" arms on the ailerons and 1.5" arms on the elevators?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Woa hold up???

This is the Edge II right? http://www.bmeaircraft.com/html/edgeII/edgeII.html

So whats different about the III ?

Is it redesigned, or does it just include more Carbon Fibre and a new scheme? Also what is the price difference?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:22 PM
sass25479

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Faster,
A couple of post up, Max, from BME talked about version three of the edge and what the differences are with the kit. I just bought version two and have bee gathering the parts to build it. I think that it would be much better to get the hardware with the kit. I'm a bit jealous about the bags, but maybe it I can get a set instead of buying from someone else.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:18 PM
JoeAirPort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sure BME is not including all that extra stuff for free. The price will go up. I bet Max is getting a volume discount on it (hardware, wing bags, etc) and will pass on some savings to the customers. I'm still waiting for his answer on the new prices.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:03 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to be honest on this one , it kinda pisses me off that everytime I buy a "New" BME edge it turns out it is not "NEW" up to date plane but an out of date plane .

Oh well at least my Carden's dont ever change I think they (BME) can just keep there planes from now on [:'(].

Chad
Old 12-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Slyder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 12-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BME Aircraft is simply improving their planes as they go along. The "Edge III" Simply has the pipe tunnel added (structurally) and they are changing the hardware package offering.

Yes the price is going up to compensate for the additonal hardware... my best recollection is that the price will go to $599.99... $70 more than the current version.

This is to offset the addtional hardware... The Yak also went up $70... but the preorder price allows you to get it at the current pricing...

With the Edge I to Edge 2 there WAS a good bit of difference... foam wings went to built up, adjustments in design, etc.

Then as people began to ask for things like pipe tunnels, CF items, etc... BME Aircraft responded by modifying the designs/packaging to suit.

I think that's a good thing and they shouldn't be "dissed" for doing so... You bought prio version because you wanted one. Are you mad when the car industry comes out with next year's model that has changes? Upset because the computer & TV you bought last year have been replaced with faster, larger models?

If the manufacturers stuck to status quo to keep you from feeling like "the world has passed you by", we'd still be flying free flight old timers and rubber band models. That make for an unusual Tucson Shootout...

There ARE CF upgrade kits available for prior versions of BME Aircraft.

And yes Carden's HAVE changed. You just don't see it... They are kits and are custom built by everyone. Some are built with canister tunnels, others not, some are lightened crazilly, others are built stock... some have drop in servo boxes, others use the "glue the rail in and screw it down method" Others mount the servos on their side and create hatches. Some use Robarts, some use hingepoints...

You are not comparing apples to apples... are you going to the field and when you see a Carden that has the cowl mounted clamshell with a cowl ring and your doesn't.... do you say "I'm never getting another plane built by my builder again".

No you ask your builder to incorporate these features in your "next Carden".

This is exactly what BME Aircraft has done... they didn't do it arbitrarily... but due to user input and response.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:46 AM
aeromax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sass, Joe, Looks like Maudib had anwsered most of the questions for me. Thanks Maudib.

Sass, 1.25" servo arm should be OK for the elevator. We provide a little longer arms just for our customers to have options for the larger throw. I'd like to use 1.5" myself.
Edge v.II and v.III is exactly the same on the out line, so the bags can fit vII as well. And we should be able to provide those bags for v.II also some of the additional hardware such as control horns.

Aeromax
Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 PM
sass25479

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with Maudib. I think that it's great that you listen to your customers and then give them what they want. I would hate to see a company stop improving their product. It would have been nice not to have to buy the hardware that you are now providing. Believe me when I say that I spent a lot more for those same items.

I wish that I can say that it was a surprise to hear a complaint about improvement, but in my line of work, I encounter that attitude every day. Keep up the good work.

Max, when would the bags be available, I had the Airwild bags on my Christmas list. Will they be available in time to change my order with Mrs. Clause? Also, how long will the pre-order price be good on the Yak?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 PM
JoeAirPort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All the stuff Max is inclduing in the new version is good stuff, I'd use it. The SWB and the rocket city/Nelson stuff is my favorite. The Dubro 20 oz tank is perfect for a 50 cc gasser. The thing is that the shipping kills me when I have to order all this stuff from 4 different sources so I think it's a good deal for that price.

How much for the servo arm package Max?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:08 PM
aeromax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sass, I don't think the bags will be available in time for Christmas. Even though, the bags will only cost you around USD60(or lower)to buy separately, they will cover every piece of your Edge. They include wing bags, stab bags, fuselage and fin/rudder bags. Keep in mind though, they are not made of fabric that will cost you hundreds of dollors. They are lamination of tin foil, 3mm bubble wrap and 3mm foam wrap materials(much thicker than any other company had offered). Just perfect for the ARF type of planes.
The pre-order price will be good till our shippment arrive as we always offered. (we expect to receive shippment on mid Jan. due to the reproduction of tail wheel bracket)

Joe, we don't have the package price for the SWB arms yet. We'll try to save some bucks for our customers. SWB arms are good stuff.

Aeromax
Old 12-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Max,
Are yo ugoign to have any of this stuff at the NW Model Expo in Feb? I mean the hardware packages and CF upgrades?

Bruce
Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 AM
sass25479

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Speaking of that,

Max, will you be in at the show in Ontario, California on 1-14-06????????
Old 12-14-2005, 11:59 AM
aeromax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bruce
Yes, we will be at the NW Model Expo. Most of the hardware will be available by then.

And Sass, sorry we won't be at Ontario, CA.

Aeromax
Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, engine is in and I’ve made a bunch more progress. I installed the firewall, engine, ignition, throttle servo and tank plumbing. I also cut and fit the cowl. Next up is to fit all surfaces, check incidences, balance and layout the batteries. I should be ready to start covering by Christmas week. Still planning to go with the Red Bull scheme, I guess its time to call up Kirby’s and get some graphics cut…

Some specifics:
• I used the carbon/balsa firewall. Works really well, but cutting in the gussets looked like a pain. Instead I used front and back reinforcements on the right, and fiberglass on the left. Should be as strong but a tad heavier.
• For the choke, I went with the manual idea and ran the rod out the front so I can grab it through the cooling duct. I just used tie wraps to suspend the pushrod between mounting lugs.
• The throttle servo is a JR mini digital that I mounted upside down on the second former. 2-56 central hobbies carbon rod to the carb. I noticed that the top of the firewall can flex a bit since its only supported on 3 sides – besides the obvious issues of the engine moving around it would make throttle trim a pain, so I had to fix that. I used more of that 8-32 titanium all thread to tie the top of the firewall to the second former as another builder on this thread had done.

So far the build is going well. I’ve weighed everything as is right now and all up I’m just under 15lb. I was hoping for even lighter but even at that I should be able to make 16 even with paint and monokote, 16.5 when the smoke system is installed. Not too bad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85021.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	372653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41747.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	372654  
Old 12-19-2005, 02:18 PM
aeromax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Bruce
Here're some pictures of the bags and horns, I thought you guys may wanted to take a look.

Aeromax
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28019.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	372709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48811.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	372710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97614.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	372711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26024.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	372712  
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM
David_Moen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Max,

Can we buy sets of bags? If so how much?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
JoeAirPort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dig the hardware and plane bags. Are those control horns bearings or ball joints? What's inside there?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:46 PM
sass25479

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Max,
The hardware looks great! Even though I have already purchased the dubro hardware, I'd like to get your set. How much and how soon can I get them?

Also, if Santa doesn't bring a set of the AirWild wing bags I want a set of those two.

Steve
Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am in the same boat. Hardware and bags look great Max. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Ken
Old 12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
David_Moen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For winter storage, I assebled my Edge and hung it from the ceiling in my garage...nice to look at when heading to work, and all the young lads in the neighbourhood (and some of the Dad's too) ohh and ahh when they are coming into the house with my kids. Just storing it this way may account for a new club member or two by the time spring rolls around. When I start packing it back and forth from the field, the bags will come in handy though!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:54 PM
aeromax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys,These plane bags and control horns will be available separately. They should be available next month.
The bags for Yak and Edge is the same price of USD60. The single set of control horn for Ele. and Ail. will be around USD15. For Rudder is USD30. The full set of 4+1 (50cc plane) is USD81, 6+1 (100cc plane) is USD108. Prices are not final yet, we'll see if we need to adjust them a little just to cover our packaging cost.

Aeromax

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.