Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

NEW 30% BME EDGE II

Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
mtwister

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW 30% BME EDGE II

It's typical, especially in this hobby when someone has a problem that they quickly blame the equipment. It's just human nature to not immediately admit fault, but I am sure once you calm down and review all that went on, you will quickly realize it wasn't an equipment failure. I am positive that you had a set up issue. Having been in the GS aspect of rc for quite awhile, it's something I see often, and always I repeat ALWAYS people blame equipment first. Especially new to them equipment. While I'm sorry for the loss of your plane, I doubt it was the 12FG's fault. Mines been a rock from day one.

Mike.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Kwesdog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike, I dont think it was anything todo with the 12FG. The radio has been flawless with everything so far except the 607. I am not giving up or swearing off futaba. I have a 6014 in a turbine down to 617s in a profile 3Der. Zero issues. I have had my 617s in terrible positions and still had control of an airplane when I could barly see it. If I would have dumb thumbed it in "Oh crap that was stupid!! Lets go have a beer!!" is about what I would have said and been done with it.

The only thing other than an issue with the 607 I can think of at this point would be something along the line of what Joe mentioned in that it could have been a voltage issue that some how caused the receiver to go into failsafe or reset. It mayhave just reset right after take off and didnt reconnect until 6 feet before the crash. Who the heck knows what it was but considering after I hooked everything back up after the crash it was working like a charm with all the servos moving at the same time. I know there would not have been much load on the servos while not in flight but I know it would not have been a whole lot more in slow flight 2 feet off the ground when I am suspecting the lost link to the reciever took place.

Thats the problem with crashes is that there is no way to tell what really happened after the fact because any damage or issues could have been caused by the impact so its a mute point arguing what it could have been.

Considering what I have seen though I am not discounting a signal or battery issue at this point because I did regain control 5-6 feet before the crash which was long enough to get the engine back to idle and attempt to cut it. I will not use that 607 again unless its in a profile foamy that is for sure though.

With all that said my new edge III is on the way with new switches and more safety straps. Now at least I will have plenty of spare parts. One wing came through unscratched and the tail section was totally intact. The only issue I have now is what todo with the engine. I know its stupid not to send it in just for a check but after taking it back out of the pile of toothpicks the left wing, bottom of the fuse and the landing gear seems to have taken almost all of the impact. I have a box sitting there now ready to send it off but I have a feeling theres nothing wrong with it at this point and I want to minimize downtime because I have to get this airfram back on the boat ASAP when it arrives.

Harry
Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry, glad to hear you are jumping on the horse again. The Edge is a worthwhile project, even with the really unfortunate start you had with your first one. If you broke the prop during the crash then I would highly recommend sending the engine in to DA for service, if nothing else for the peace of mind. Their legendary customer service is well-deserved. Their turnaround time is also very reasonable so if you send in the engine soon, you should have it back to install on your new airframe. For what it's worth I am running a 607 receiver in my Edge and have not had any issues with it so far. With that said I also share your sentiments on pilot error versus equipment failure crashes. I toasted my 3D foamy last weekend, completely my fault, and I had a good laugh about it and we treated the carcas (sans motor and servos) to a ride on a couple large bottle rockets and a viking funeral. Kind of nice not having any scraps to worry about throwing in the trash after that. I also lost radio contact with my foamy F-14 and am very bummed out about the results of that situation. Anyway, hope you get your new Edge up and going and have many successful flights with it. Here, print this picture and stick it on your building board for some inspiration.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61400.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	985013  
Old 07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
tuwood

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. I had a Kit built Ultimate go in due to a bad power switch on the second flight. That was over 2 years ago & it still hurts.
I would recommend writing a letter to Futaba & explain to them what happened. They may help you out with a new receiver or some servo's. When my ultimate went in they replaced all of the servo's, receiver, & gave me a new kit. I was extremely suprised and they secured my customer loyalties for many years to come.

Like Joe, I had recently purchased a 9C when I got my Edge, so I put in PCM and have no intentions of moving over to Spectrum.

Glad to see you have another one on the way. [8D]

Tony
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Kwesdog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got my Edge III two days ago and have all the new stuff except the batteries and switches which should be here tommorow according to FEDEX.

Considering I dont have to remake or redo much other than the motor box and run the servos I think I could have this new one together in a day or two (If the wife doesnt bother me too much that is.).

Tail section is fine and can be used again and one wing is perfect with no cracks. I think I will keep the old wing on stand by and just use the new ones because the wings are the easy part.

I also think I will document this build too.

On another note since this one has a pipe tunnel have any of you guys ran a canister or pipe on this or is mostly everyone running a stock muffler? The reason I ask is because one of the fields I fly at can sometimes frown on the loud engines and I know the stock muffler is fairly loud. The pipe or cannister is the easy part but I am wondering about the header for the DA on this airframe.

Harry
Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Kwesdog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well after many years for me never flying this (between the edge II and III) plane I finally did yesterday. Wonderful plane that pretty much came out spot on during the first flight other than the typical mixing issues that will be needed for IMAC.

Harry
Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to hear it. Did you go back to the 2.4G receiver you used in the first one? Did you ever firgure out what the problem was?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Kwesdog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I went back to 2.4 but swapped out to a 617.

I also think it was a power issue with the first crash so I went to a dual battery set up on a fromeco wolverine switch instead of a single. That first one is hard to pin down though.

With how this thing flys I see lots of great flights with it. The only real problem I had was that I lost all of the leading edge covering and a couple of stripes. I thought I had ironed all of it down really good but apparently not.

Great plane so far.

Harry