Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Smoke!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 08:02 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoke!!!

Okay, I am doing my first 1/4 scale plane (GP Wagstaff Extra with Fox 3.2) and want to know what's the best setup for smoke.

The Fox come plumbed for smoke out of the box but what do you "smokers" use in the way of smoke oil, pumps, set-up, etc.

Thanks
Don
Old 10-11-2002, 01:41 AM
brittain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke!!!

On my DP Extra 330L I have a B&B pump and valve, a Moki smoke fitting on the muffler and use Super Dri smoke fluid.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:42 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Smoke!!!

For that setup, you definitly want the B&B system:
http://www.bennettbuilt.com/smoke.htm

Only big gassers, like your 3.2 can power it, but it is the only really reliable system that I have ever found.

I also use Ultrasmoke oil from Air Capital Hobbies:
http://www.aircapitalhobbies.com/ultsmk.htm

It is non-petroleum based, so it doesn't attack your covering, and it doesn't stink up your car/workshop.

When you say your engine is "Plumbed" for smoke, are you referring to the muffler? If so, be advised that the B&B system requires drilling and tapping a hole in the engines crankcase. When the pump arrives, call B&B and they will tell you exactly where it needs to be tapped (have the engine with you when you call). This is not as devastating as it sounds. If you can drill and tap a hole, you won't have any problem. If you can't, just ask a friend who knows how to do it for you.

If your muffler is NOT set up for smoke, the simplest thing to do, is to go to your local Auto Parts store and get some 1/8" copper tubing. Drill a 1/8" hole in the muffler and insert it so it ends right at the point where the engine exhaust enters the muffler (if you can open the muffler, you may want to coil it around inside for pre-heating the oil).

Finally, the last thing you need is a way to regulate the amount of oil going into the muffler (too much oil will cool the exhaust and not get hot enough, plus, the less oil you use, the longer it will last). You can buy a valve somewhere, but what I do is to just drill a hole in a piece of wooden dowel for the oil line to go through with a screw on top of the dowel that can pinch the line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29924_7722.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	19082  
Old 10-11-2002, 03:45 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Smoke!!!

Here is what the Ultrasmoke can do with only a .91 4-stroke Glow engine!

Name:	29925_7722.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	19083  
Old 10-11-2002, 04:28 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoke!!!

Originally posted by MinnFlyer
When you say your engine is "Plumbed" for smoke, are you referring to the muffler? If so, be advised that the B&B system requires drilling and tapping a hole in the engines crankcase. When the pump arrives, call B&B and they will tell you exactly where it needs to be tapped (have the engine with you when you call). This is not as devastating as it sounds. If you can drill and tap a hole, you won't have any problem. If you can't, just ask a friend who knows how to do it for you.
I don't have the engine yet so I don't know for sure but this is from Fox' website:

"Now all single GAS Engines by FOX include a "Muffler." Engines include a NIKASIL lined cylinder/Piston assembly by Makita Dolmar, USA/Cantilever crankshaft/ Throttle coupled spark advance system with CH Electronic ignition/Walbro carb./single engines drilled and tapped for smoke.

I am assuming that this means the crank is already tapped.

I kind of wish you guys had responded about 3 hours earlier as I ordered a TME set-up. I'll still go check out the B&B stuff.

Don
Old 10-12-2002, 12:42 PM
glasairtd

Default Smoke!!!

MinnFlyer, I am interested in your flow control device.
What keeps the screw from cutting though the tubing ?
I currently use a "c" clamp type device, but the tube keeps
slipping out. I am using a TME simple smoke system with
super-dri fluid on my Pitts/G-45. Let me just say that
we don't have a mosquito problem at the field ! It works great.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:02 PM
smartwork
My Feedback: (5)

Default Smoke!!!

When using the Super-Dri, do you have to have glow or gas line and stopper for the system? I haven't seen anywhere that designates which kind of hose to use.

-shaun
Old 10-31-2002, 07:44 PM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

Default Smoke!!!

TME has worked the best for me with Glow engines.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:48 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Smoke!!!

Originally posted by hattend

I don't have the engine yet so I don't know for sure but this is from Fox' website:

"Now all single GAS Engines by FOX include a "Muffler." Engines include a NIKASIL lined cylinder/Piston assembly by Makita Dolmar, USA/Cantilever crankshaft/ Throttle coupled spark advance system with CH Electronic ignition/Walbro carb./single engines drilled and tapped for smoke.

I am assuming that this means the crank is already tapped.

I kind of wish you guys had responded about 3 hours earlier as I ordered a TME set-up. I'll still go check out the B&B stuff.

Don
There is also the megasmoke from the UK which has volume control.
http://www.megasmoke.bctalk.net/
Old 11-08-2002, 02:27 AM
0tter

Default Smoke!!!

Don, do you have a web address for the Don Harris system?

0tter
Old 11-08-2002, 01:01 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Default Smoke!!!

Hey Dale (Otter),
I just saw the Harris smoke pump on Chief's website:

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/Models/Model.html

When the page comes up click on WHATS NEW.

it will be there.

Jim
Old 11-09-2002, 12:34 AM
0tter

Default Smoke!!!

Thanks Jim.

BTY fired up the Nesquick ship last night. oooohhhhhh. I cant wait! I have a friend with a trailer I may be able to use. Weather looks gloomy here this weekend...mabey next week.

Dale
Old 11-09-2002, 11:11 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Default Smoke!!!

I have numerous TME set ups in my gas motors with great success the newer tme pumps are better than they were 8 years ago the Harris pump is great also . I personally never had good luck with BB doesnt put out the volume of smoke that the Harris and TME put out. If you use the TME make sure and get their check valve it works great only 8 bucks for it it comes with the deluxe kit
Old 11-09-2002, 03:36 PM
smartwork

Default Smoke!!!

Just a heads-up on one of our modeler's experience with TME. Brand new pump wasn't working properly and so TME offered to replace it as defective. Once he sent the pump back, he never received another, nor are his calls and emails being returned, so now he's out everything!

Needless to say, he's not too thrilled.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:16 PM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

Default Smoke!!!

what kind of weight am i looking at here? I want to install the tme or the don harris. I want to know how much weight will it ad to my plane including the tank fuel tubing etc....and also include where to get em.

Thanks a bunch
Santi
Old 11-10-2002, 12:06 AM
HotDogger
My Feedback: (1)

Default Smoke!!!

I use TME . Simple smoke system,,, Just plug her in a servo slot . That pretty much the setup

No need for drilling on your crank case !
Old 11-10-2002, 12:56 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Default Smoke!!!

Ref the gentleman who never heard or got his new tme pump that is a Bummer big time could you have your local hobby shop do some checking?? I thnk i will try the megasmoke sometime Roger mentioned earlier post it does put out great smoke i think the cost is around 100 bucks.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:58 AM
rkeahey

Default Harris Smoke Pump

I have used Harris smoke pumps and have been satisfied with them. He makes them from surgical pumps. They will pump like crazy so use a choke valve. Also, don't let them run dry too long.

Call Don at 530-269-1164 and order directly from him and save a few bucks off the Chief Aircraft price.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:46 AM
smartwork

Default Smoke!!!

I've got a brand new Perry pump running off the crank case and it just isn't doing the trick, SO I am seeking another pump. Considering B&B and would prefer to stick with crankcase driven if possible.

Question: Do you who use crankcase pressure see a "pulse" in your smoke trail that matches the "puff" from the crankcase?

Glanced at the Don Harris system. That's electric, right?

Anyone have experience with the Megasmoke?

I need something that will work properly with a Brison 2.4 and the Perry apparently isn't it! I'm looking for good smoke trails while flying. With all the hovering smoke photos, it's somewhat deceiving in what's actually being put out and what it will look like in flight.

One more question: I've got a Brison muffler with 2 bolts that don't appear to hold anything at all. What are they for? They appear to be too large for smoke taps.

Click for photo - at the time of posting, the system wasn't posting the small version of the photo.

Name:	36185_13324.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	19084  
Old 11-18-2002, 04:41 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default Smoke!!!

THERE ARE THREE ELEMENTS TO A GOOD SMOKE SYSTEM. 1, IS THE PUMP, 2 IS THE SMOKE FLUID, AND 3 IS THE MUFFLER. THE BEST FLUID AND SYSTEM WILL BE MARGINAL WITHOUT A QUALITY MUFFLER. BOLD MUFFLER (561)344-8785 MAKES SMOKE MUFFLERS WITH A TITANIUM INSERT. THESE MUFFLERS INSURE A QUALITY BURN OF THE FLUID. THIS COULD BE THE SOLUTION TO A WEAK SMOKE SYSTEM. GIVE THEM A CALL. DONT FORGET TO MENTION THE "HARDEE'S AIRSHOW TEAM".
Old 11-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Default Smoke!!!

Hey Barry,

This is Ryan Smith, I covered your Telemaster, did you get it flying. How does everyone like it? Sorry you coudn't make it to Winston Salem for the airshow.