Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF 2.3M Extra Build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite ARF 2.3M Extra Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Daniel Hice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Composite ARF 2.3M Extra Build

Running this same thread on a couple different forums, just looking for all the advice I can get...

I have been jumping from one plane theory to another for months now. Just when I finally decide what I am going to do something new comes out or I get wisked away into the wild blue by work. Well I finally made a final decision...the Composite ARF Extra 330L 2.3M seems to fit everything I am looking for in a plane. I have always had it in the back of my mind but always considered them a tad expensive for what I was going to be doing. After spending the entire day on the phone yesterday talking to about every other person I know in this hobby I finally made my choice final and ordered it. I am told it should arrive here at my office Monday or Tuesday of next week, I am so excited, I can't wait...but I am not driving to Reno so I guess I will. So far my only set in stone ideas for the build/config are listed below, the rest I would really like to hear your inputs on.

Fuselege: Composite ARF Extra 330L 2.3M
Engine: ZDZ 80RV
Prop: Mejzlik 24x10 / Mejzlik 26x10
Spinner: 4" Extra Carbon Fiber
Radio: Futaba 9CHP
Receiver: Futaba 149DP
General Electronics:
2 x 4800mAh Fromeco (RX)
1 x 2400mAh Fromeco (Ignition)
Smart-Fly Power Expander (RX Power)
Smart-Fly Turbo Regulator (RX Power)
Smart-Fly Ignition Cutoff (Ignition Power)
Fromeco Regulator (Ignition Power)
Fromeco 8 Ball Load Tester
Fromeco 3-Port Charger

Servos:
Ailerons - 4 x Hitec 5945MG
Elevators - 2 x Hitec 5945MG
Rudder - 1 x Hitec 5955TG
Throttle - 1 x Hitec 5945MG

Receipt:
Composite ARF Extra 330L 2.3M - $888.00 (CompARF)
7 x Hitec 5945MG - $526.69 (ServoCity)
Electronics - $273.85 (Smart-Fly)
Electronics - $381.36 (Fromeco)
Engine Standoffs - $20.00 (R/C Showcase)
Lots of Stuff - $528.23 (Troy Built Models)
Tail Wheel Assembly - $48.95 (R/C Blimps)
Compression Springs - $18.00 (Aerobatic Concepts)

Current Total: $2,686.08

EDIT: (7/13/05) Ok a few changes have been made to the specs above. I have now purchased 7 Hitec 5945MGs to fit the locations listed above. They should be in the first of next week along with the plane, soooo excited.

EDIT: (7/15/05) The servos have arrived already!! Now I get to wait over the weekend for da plane da plane :lol:

EDIT: (7/19/05) IT'S HERE!!!!!

EDIT: (7/20/05) Pics added

EDIT: (8/13/05) Couple config changes. I pulled the 2 5945's from the rudder and will be placing them out on the ailerons and a single 5955TG will be taking their place at the rudder. I almost changed my engine choice after getting a great deal on a ZDZ 80, hopefully the engine will prove not to be a bad choice.

EDIT: (8/22/05) Config updated, all parts order, awaiting arrivals. Here is what is done as of this point, sorry for lack of pics so far. At this point I have the front gear mounted and the wheels installed (4" Kavan). I have also cut and test fit the canopy, cut and installed the cown and cut and installed the engine mount. The engine is here, mount is already cut ti accept the rear mount carb, just waiting for the 3/4" engine stand-offs from R/C Showcase to mount it up. I have set the rod in place for the rudder and elevator hinges and roughly trimmed it until final install. The tailwheel assembly came today and I will be installing it tonight and I hope to get updated pics of everything as well. My decals from Hooters are also on order and they said they should be in by the end of the week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71374.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	297192  
Old 07-15-2005, 04:56 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Composite ARF 2.3M Extra Build

Hey Dan, you have to get your self one of these,
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...spx?prodID=170

Look great and light as a feather on a diet.

Has your Extra got a colour scheme on it already or did you get the Red/White one. If you have to put colour on it i sugest using vynal stick on.
It is also very light and great colour.

Im sure too people will get you to run a tuned pipe of some description. I have a ZDZ80 twin in mine so a home made exhaust was fine.

One servo per control surface is working well for me but i am running a power box and twin batts/switches that amp the signal/power to the servoes along the long (soldered) extention leads. I'm thinking you will have a regulator and run 6.0V ???

Well have fun any way and hopefully you will get all the info you want.
Just gotta love this model.

Brad
Old 07-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Daniel Hice

My servos arrived today, damn ServoCity is fast!!!

Thanks for the input Brad, I will indeed be running 6v. I can't wait to test out that 58cc, either one should prove to be an amazing engine. I am looking to run a Can atm. With the position of the Wing Tube I don't see that anyone has much of a choice on exhausts for this plane, unless I am missing something completely.

I got the Red/White, I was hoping to get all white but that isn't even a special order option for that size plane. My friend owns a vinyl cutting business so I am all set for my graphics, will design a scheme soon enough, anyone have a bare template of an extra I can use? I have seen them before but my searches didn't come up with anything.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Dan,
This i what i ended up with using vynal.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberId=117045

Looks like Hanger 9 Extra but was unintentional.
No pattern as such.

Regards

Brad
Old 07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Miloh

Hay BigD:

I'm waiting for my 2x2 at the moment. It's killing me. it's in the "has it shipped yet?" mode.
I'm stoked.

Miloh.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Daniel Hice

Wow, really nice Brad!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Daniel Hice

Miloh,

Know the feeling...I am so freaking excited right now I can barely wait till Monday. Now that the servos are here it is even more "real" feeling, I know I am not dreaming at least
Old 07-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Miloh

My LHS said the 8611's were on back order and just released Friday. Hope this means they are in the mail. I got a tracking number from Andy Kane tonight and it's on a truck somehwere between there and here. I'm wound as tight as a clock spring. This is the first time I've been without a plane to fly in three years.

Cheers, Miloh.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:52 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Rick P had a long, detailed thread on building this plane.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Miloh

Where is it?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Daniel Hice

IT'S HERE!!! I will post pics tonight
Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Daniel Hice

Pics are here! These are just really quick pics, nothing special, didn't even setup the lighting correctly, just wanted to take them so I could get to bed. If anyone wants to see anything specifically just let me know and I will run snap a pic and get it posted.

Name:	Db85502.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	299828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40281.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	299829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75640.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	299830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31850.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	299831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61396.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	299832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg62327.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	299833  
Old 07-21-2005, 07:15 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan:

Welcome to the comp-arf club. Be sure and look at Darcy's website as there are several builds there.

With the MVVS58, you will have to build carefully due to the light engine. I did not have to move any batteries rearward with a 3W75 or a twin BME105, both being considerably heavier than yours.

My first one was with a DA-50/pipe combo. On this one, I even had to move the rudder servo in front of the fuel tank. LOL
Paul
Old 07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Miloh

Hay BigD:

I got my 2x2 today. Very nice kit. I've got all my stuff together just got to find build time.

Where is Darcy's site??

Thanks, Miloh.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:42 PM
otisflies

Flew my 2.3 today for the first time. Very nice. I am using a ZDZ 80B2 in mine. Plenty of power.

Name:	Mk27239.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	301461  
Old 07-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Miloh

Killer!!!!!!!!!! congrats.

Miloh.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I love my 2.3! GOt way over 450 flights on it. DA50/pipe. Love it. !~)

Joe
Old 08-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Daniel Hice

Well I caved in and won't be beta testing that Evolution 58cc after all. I was given a deal I couldn't refuse tonight and will now be placing a ZDZ 80 in it. When saving hundreds it is hard to stick to your guns, I tried guys... I really tried Any install pics of a ZDZ in a 2.3M would be greatly appreciated. I have found a couple threads on them but more is always better. With the right pics I could have it mounted by the end of the weekend
Old 08-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Daniel Hice

Well I made some progress on this project finally, no pics yet though. I mounted the engine mount and cowl, cut and dry fit the canopy and ran the rudder and elevator rods. I am running into a problem trying to figure out how to mount the engine though, can't seem to figure out how to ensure it is perfectly centered, any help you guys can lend would be a great help. I really don't want to have to buy a new engine mount cause I drill it wrong. I have a paper template printed and attached to a piece of balsa to make it rigid. I was then trying to get a balsa stick centered to stick out the cowl so I could get the dead center where it needs to be but I'll be damned if I can get it right. What am I missing in this process?

Oh ya and to follow up, this ZDZ 80 is a freaking beast, I have never seen an engine this big before. I have seen a couple 100's but to see 80cc in a single is a different story.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Miloh

Hay BigD:

I;ve not seen how a ZDZ mounts. does it use stand offs or a rail mount? I used a Saito 2.20 in my 2x2 and of course it uses a rail mount. I put the mount on the fire wall before it was installed in the plane. The first attempt had the mount a bit low so I just filled the holes in the firewall with dowels and redrilled it up a tad bit. As far as center, it all came out ok just by finding center on the firewall and drilling for that. I could not figure a way to drill it just right the first time. I had to adjust a couple of times.

Miloh.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Stuart D

Daniel , what you are missing is the cowl . I ran into the same problem when
I built mine about 6 months ago . There is no point of reference other than
the cowl its self . This is the case with all of the comp air planes . You HAVE TO
do it the old way , stand the plane up on its tail , sit the engine
on top and just line it up using the cowl only . Also do all of this using
a 4' spinner back plate
Dont install the rudder as I did , it just means you need a taller ladder . The
ZDZ 80 needs an extra 1.00mm of right thrust so just do it with your stand -
-off's . Also remember to fill that nasty gap in your fire wall . When you cut
the hole in the engine dome you will see what I mean .
You will love this plane , the 80 in the 2.3 is one of the best combinations I
have ever seen .

Good luck . Stu .
Old 08-14-2005, 10:12 PM
MR G

I have a 3W75 I am getting ready to mount in my 2.3.
STUART D is absolutely correct, stand the plane on it's tail. I am using a balsa block the width of my standoff (7/8") to set the engine on the firewall (without muffler for now) to locate where to drill the holes.

Good Luck..You will LOVE this airplane!!!

MR G
Old 08-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Daniel Hice

I made 4 7/8" standoffs from a really dense exotic wood I just happened to have laying here, I think it's called Purple Heart. It's dense enough that my hobby saws wouldn't cut it so I had to use my 12" cutoff saw, overkill but it worked I used a 1" sanding tube on my drill press to slowly sculpt out the correct carb opening and then cut the holes in the cowl for the head and exhaust. I will be picking up the bolts to mount the engine tomorrow and hope to get pics up tomorrow night.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Phantom Phixer
My Feedback: (3)

seems like you solved your engine mounting problem.

thought I'd share my solution.

I took a scrape piece of lenax 1/8 thick, and about 1/2 wider and taller than the actual bolt pattern of the motor.

now drill the bolt pattern in the lexan, and in the center drill a hole for a carbon fiber rod. I used 1/4 inch material.

The lexan is now a drill template, and its easy and light enough so you don't have to stand the plane on end.

I'd position it with tape, slide the cowl off and mark the holes, put the template back on and then the cowl to double check and its perfect.

I was also lucky enough to have an o-ring around to fit into the back plate of the spinner, and slide the spinner on to the drill template, so I knew exactly where it would be in reference to the cowl once the motor was mounted.

The choke for me was the worst for a couple of evenings.....just didn't see it, and then it worked out.....used a mechanical bellcrank approach with a ball end on the carb......I did have to make my own ball out of a stock to fit the boar of the choke arm......
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

I was going to go for the 2.3, (I have a 2.6 Yak) but the 2.6 is just $40.00 more and it uses the same equipment. (I wish I would of used the ZDZ 80 in my YAK since I am at 21.6lbs with the DA100)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.