Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Maiden Flight Lanier 40%Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Maiden Flight Lanier 40%Edge

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 08:48 AM
aeroflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Flight Lanier 40%Edge

Finally did the maiden flight on my 40 % edge. All I can say is awesome, it was quite a step up from the 30% that I have been flying, and that suprised me .

Any way the setup is: Lanier 40% edge, with a ZDZ 160 Champion Twin on JMB cans and a 3W 30x10 prop. Futaba 9 C radio Jr 8611 servos on all surfaces 2 in each ail. 1 per elev half , and 2 in the rudder. Useing smart fly 2D equalizers to synch. the servos they work well and are very light. Overall weight is 39 to 40 lbs.

Takeoff roll was smooth and about 50 to 75 feet she lifted off . The eng is still set rich and the idle is still a tad high but that will come down with time. The engine ran beautiful , I had to make a few approachs to setup for landing and when throttle up was needed to climb out it was right there no hic cups . Needed 6 clicks of down elev. trim ,4 clicks left ail. trim and we then had level flight. The plane tracked well and rolls are crisp. I did not do much more then some rolls and a few easy loops, the landing went well , made a long turn onto final to slow down kept the wings level and as speed reduced , the plane stayed on line and just settled in. I am very pleased with this bird and hope to have it for many flights. Thankyou RCU for being here as the wealth on info is great.

Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Maiden Flight Lanier 40%Edge

Glad you are happy,, does the ZDZ seem strong,,,
Old 08-02-2005, 03:07 PM
aeroflyer

Yes the zdz seems strong even at this early stage in breakin , I flew most of the time at about half throttle , when I went w o t on climb out it pulled the plane very well. I f that motor behaves like my zdz 60 single it will keep getting stronger thru the first 4 or 5 gallons of fuel. At just over 1/2 throttle the 60 hangs my 30% .
Old 08-02-2005, 05:49 PM
dork_blaster
My Feedback: (14)

Congrats on getting her airborne! Pictures?

According to the RCS website, the ZDZ160 champs are broken in (and adjusted) at the factory - is this not the case anymore?

BTW, I built the same plane a year ago with the older ZDZ160 (slightly heavier) and JMB cans and the plane came out very tail heavy (I did bash the kit by making the stabs removeable). How did yours balance? AUW?

DB
Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

What prop were you running on your zdz60 Aeroflyer,,
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
aeroflyer

Running a Bambola 24 x 8 on the zdz 60. they are not the fastest props but the performance is very good
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM
aeroflyer

Yes D B the engines are factory run , But over time I have tweaked the needles and the engines get stronger at least with my zdz 60 single that is the case. Time will tell with the 160.