Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

QQ 85" Yak

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:56 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: QQ 85" Yak

Glad it helped.

Still waiting for my servos. I hate to start a project without all the stuff needed to complete it! Gotta order my batts and regulators from Fromeco.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:05 AM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Hey does that drill guide for the DA 50 fit right onto the fire wall just like the 3W guide? If it does I will just mark the holes on the 3W guide and use that if I can. Are you going to build up the engine box more? I was going to but after looking at it I think it will hold up fine.

Lee
Old 08-29-2005, 07:10 AM
RCAddiction

The overall size of the drill guide was the same as the 3W, but the holes have a different mounting pattern, of course. Yup, the firewall box seems pretty fragile, and looks remarkably identical to the one in my 72" Yak. I'd have thought it would be beefier. I don't know what the extra piece of wood in the plastic bag with the 3W drill guide is for. Perhaps it is to glue on the bottom of the firebox to reinforce it?

Anyhow, I'm not starting on the plane until this coming weekend at the earliest. A very busy week at work starting in an hour!

Will be interesting to see how various DA50 muffler options fit. I was going to the side-mount stock DA muffler, but assuming it comes out light in the nose, I might use the Slimline pitts, if it doesn't require that horrible cutout in the bottom of the cowl like the 3W50 on their website.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 AM
mxcop114

I think the extra piece of wood is for closeing off the box going into the fuse. If you look at the manual you will see that he has done that and just cut the holes for lines and servo rod. I may close the top and bottom of the box and leave the sides open. I will be mounting all engine related gear on or in the box along with using the slimline pitts. I will try to not cut the cowl like in the picture but it won't be a big deal to me if I have to. I haven't seen much response on this thread, hope it's just because people haven't got the plane yet. I'm looking foward to a good thread, this plane will fly just as good if not better than the E.F.. Wayne said Quique got the plane locked into a harrier or torque roll, not sure which, but he put the radio on the ground and the plane just stayed locked in hands off. I think it may have been in China when they were there. My plane may be in the air by mid week if everything arrives on time.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
mxcop114

Some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18679.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	316906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59961.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	316907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99507.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	316908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61890.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	316909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63121.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	316910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41450.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	316911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31727.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	316912  
Old 08-29-2005, 06:33 PM
CM1scw

Nice thread. I am in the market for a gasser YAK. I currently have the EF 68 and LOVE IT. But the dowmfall is that I am sick of the nitro, clean-up and fussy tuning with EVERY air temp change.

Looking for YAK's that I think measure up to the quality and construction of the EF was not easy, thanks for putting this together and I look forward to hearing more.....

Now, how do I get the wife the spring for the QQ?????
Old 08-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Great pics!! I still say that is the best looking 50cc Yak ARF..if it flies like it looks there may be one in my future!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:35 PM
mxcop114

Just so you know the QQ Yak comes from the same factory as the E.F. Yak. I have the 68'er also. This plane is the same quality and construction as the E.F., you can't go wrong buying one. The next shipment is supposed to be here in October, I would give Wayne a call and talk to him about it.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Very Very Nice!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

This plane looks like a clone of my 102" Yak. It also screams to have something nice done to the cockpit area. Below are pics of my Virtual Cockpit (www.wrightrc.com) and pilot I installed. The pics do not do it justice.

For those that may be interested here is how installed the cockpit and pilot.

I epoxied in two strips of light ply that were the same thickness as the canopy frame. Edge butted them between the side rails. I then reinforced them with some overlapping 1/16" ply on top of the joints. Cut out the Virtual cockpit. You can tape it in and it will work just fine. Because QQ recommended putting silicon around the edges of the canopy on the inside that is how I did mine and used the silicon to hold down the cockpit. I them cut slits in the virtual cockpit and used thin velcro straps to hold the pilot down. Has worked flawlessly and not come loose. If you go over to the 102" QQ Yak thread around pages 14-16 you can see pics of the install. This whole canopy/pilot combo thing adds about 5 oz to my 102" bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86278.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	317539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80317.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	317540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64935.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	317541  
Old 08-30-2005, 09:51 AM
MSP1957
My Feedback: (1)

None of the various Yak threads are showing much activity. Perhaps people are spending more time flying .

Would be nice to see more posts of the build/mods for the QQ Yak

Michael
Old 08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
mxcop114

I agree with you on that, but I think there are only a couple 85"ers out to the public so far so hopefully we will get more activity soon when more people get the plane. My plane will be in the air by the end of the week depending on weather, and from the sounds of things I may be the first one to get one in the air.

Lee
Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: mxcop114

Just so you know the QQ Yak comes from the same factory as the E.F. Yak. I have the 68'er also. This plane is the same quality and construction as the E.F., you can't go wrong buying one. The next shipment is supposed to be here in October, I would give Wayne a call and talk to him about it.
Yea I know..thats what gets me..Why cant Chris get any planes from this factory? Its obvious that QQ isnt having any problems..Something isnt adding up right..

Anyway how are you coming along on the build? any problems yet?

I gave my name to Wayne a few weeks ago so I prolly didnt make the cut for the first shipment.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

I gave my name to Wayne a few weeks ago so I prolly didnt make the cut for the first shipment.
I put my name in the hat right after Joe Nall, and I didn't make the first cut. So your not alone.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Josey Wales

Well lets hope that QQ doesnt have the problems that Chris is having with this factory..If he does, then the second shipment may come in when the second shipment of EF Yaks come in!![sm=eek.gif] ...and we all know how that turned out!![:-]
Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Cosmo-RCU

I recieved one of the QQ 85" Yaks last week. I plan to put a DA50 w/ pitts muffler in mine. I hope to work on it later in the week. I'm eagerly awaiting the flying manual with details of the C.G. and control throws etc. I flew QQ's at Joe Nall and its awesome. Can't wait to get mine in the air!!!!!!!!
Cosmo
Old 08-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Josey Wales

So give us a flight report..were dyin over here!!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:56 PM
mxcop114

I'm almost finished, just some final touches and it will be ready to fly. Hopefully the weather holds out and I will get it up Friday. I will post some pictures of the DA 50 installed along with other equiptment soon.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:36 AM
bbuzzone
My Feedback: (57)

Lee,

Did you recieve your missing hardware from Wayne or did you purchase the few missing items? I'm expect to be as far as I can get without the hardware later today - that's without stripping the equipment (engine & electronics) off my soon to be "spare" plane. I'm hoping to complete this weekend, but need that hardware!

I also haven't seen Quique's flight manual yet, where are you planning setting the CG? Any pictures would be welcome!

Buzz
Old 09-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

Yea I know..thats what gets me..Why cant Chris get any planes from this factory? Its obvious that QQ isnt having any problems..Something isnt adding up right..

I would not say that. QQ is having problems with the factory too. He has yet to recieve all of the replacement wings for his 100cc Yaks that were delivered this summer. He also just got a small supply of the 85"er's. Chris is completley out of stock for the entire Summer. No one knows what this factory is doing, they give a date and then they miss that date, over and over again. It is getting OLD. I feel bad for both companies, they have the best planes and designs, but can't get much, if any product.

The QQ does look sweet, I would like to see an EF sitting next to it just to compare. I know that the QQ are a little more slim/long, and the EF's are more gerthy and stand taller. At the XFC Andrew Jesky had a modified QQ Yak, and Chris Hintson had his Yak and they were the same style of construction, but way different in design specs. All in all they are both awesome planes.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM
blkbird68

Update!!! Just got a call from Wayne!!!! Looks like I made the cut after all!! I was #31 on the list.

When I talked to him on his cell phone today he was packing boxes back and forth helping Quique move.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Josey Wales

Congratulations!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
RCAddiction

Yes, I got the hardware this week. It includes titanium pushrods for elevator and ailerson, pull-pull cable with ends, a lot of ball links, actually more than you need, plus the CF rudder arm, some extra hitchpins, etc. All decent stuff. You will still need to buy the Dubro control surface arms for elevator, rudder, and aileron.

Sorry but I've not started to build at all. Been way too busy with work since it arrived.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:00 PM
bbuzzone
My Feedback: (57)

Thanks Lee, my hardware actually arrived shortly after I posted here. Including the additional hardware kit that I got from Wayne.

I'll have the hinging completed tonight, the landing gear and control horns tomorrow. If the 3W motor mount plate does not arrive tomorrow, my build will be delayed for a week as I'm traveling next week.

The brass tube for the canopy mount was not installed in my fuselage. Wayne recommended replacing the existing cap screws and blind nuts with 6-32 versions and then using brass tubing that just fits over the head of the cap screw. A simple fix.

Buzz
Old 09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
mxcop114

Hey Guys,
I got the first flight in today. I only got one flight because I was using a servo reverser, which I will never use one again, and it adjusted a little in the air so I had to adjust trim throughout the flight. DA 50 is still running a little fat, but it has more than enough power. The flight was only about ten minutes and here is what I think so far. It is the best flying plane I ever ever flown so far. From what I could see so far it has very little to no coupling, I did several 4 and 8 point rolls with very little rudder or elevator imput, looked like it was attached to a string. It tracks very well through loops, cuban 8s, etc... I spoke with wayne about the cg and this is what he said. With the spinner, prop, wings, and hatch off measure from the front fuse former where the front of the hatch attaches back exactly 7 inches. I just balanced it there with everything off and it seemed right on because inverted only needed a tiny touch of down to hold level. I only flew on low rates which is more than enough for basic flying. It doesn't need much runway to get off the ground and landed like a dream. Like I said I only got one flight but from that little bit I know this plane is a winner. I will try to get some more flight time in the morning, and hopefully get a better report for you guys then. After a couple more tanks of fuel I will start to test the 3D abilities which I know will be unlimited. If my buddy is out with his camera I will try to get a video. By the way I spoke to Wayne last night and he said the flight manual should be done by next week and be online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.