Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Wendell Hostetler Plans and Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Wendell Hostetler Plans and Planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:12 AM
4unlimited

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wendell Hostetler Plans and Planes

Dear fellow modelers,

My name is Rick. I am an enthusiastic builder and aerobatic RC-pilot from the Netherlands (Europe).
Building and flying a variety of planes through the past years, I have set myself some “goals”.

Starting from an empty hangar, I want to end up with just two (maybe three) planes. All have to be giant scale.
Knowing that many ARF kits are available in this segment, I personally thin kit doesn’t have anything to do with “building airplanes”. For me as aircraft technician, I want to fly planes that are build by myself.

Browsing the internet and knowing the availability of Wendell Hostetler’s Plans, I am about to make some choices.
- Super Decathlon 30% (because of it’s “assumed” aerobatic capacities)
- Extra 300XS 27% (because of it’s full 3D aerobatic potentials)
- Pitts S1-11-B (because it’s an aerobatic biplane and an all time favorite)

This short-list means that all three will be in my hangar within 1-2years as being my preferred RC planes.

Based upon flight review I have some alternatives, which may be:
- Cessna 182
- Nemesis
- Lancair IV

My question, could someone please inform me:
- if there are websites dedicated to these Wendell Hostetler’ Plans based airplanes?
- if there are reviews available concerning the building of and flying these beautiful birds?

Most of the (over)commercialized ARF/ARC kits are reviewed more then once and they are all rated “great”. Exceptions apart (Krill-Modells, Carden Airplanes and such).

In conclusion it would be mostly appreciated if someone could forward the information needed to finalize my short list, start ordering the necessary plans, materials and start building.

With kindest regards,

Rick

[email protected]
Old 08-25-2005, 07:43 AM
PJFaller

Default RE: Wendell Hostetler Plans and Planes

Ive built his Lancair IV great airplane but it was a LONG build. His stuff are definately builders kit. If you want something aerobatic and something to build as well there are many more kits in the US that the Hostetller stuff cant hold a candle to as far as aerobatics. WH plans are more for the giant scale scratch building enthusiasts. They are great airplanes dont get me wrong but for an aerobatic airplane there are many others I would consider. I also got my kit from all american kit cutters. They are reasonably priced and make a nice wood kit. They are on the internet. As far as web pages based solely on WH plans stuff I dont know of any. Good luck any more info needed let me know.

Pete
[email protected]
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 AM
4unlimited

Pete,

Tanks for such a quick reply
I appreciate your input and will it take in consideration for sure.

Wendell Plans seems to be a "builders-dream", but great flying has it's priority!

Regards,
Rick

Old 08-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Newflee

I highly recommend the Hostetler plans. Check out the 33% Super Decathlon thread on this forum for more info. It's a long read but were having a good time and it's practically a brotherhood now.
Hostetler planes are all very similar in construction and are really well built. I would not consider them to be expert builds but if your from the ARF generation you'll not even get started as they don't come with build instructions and just the pre read, and build order schedule figuring will take longer than the average ARF completion. Once you get Wendell's drafting language you'll have no problem building any of his aircraft.
I have not yet completed my Decathlon but others on the thread have and the reviews on this ship are spectacular. I'm almost there. I also have the 182 and 206 plans.
The Decathlon thread is really a great tool for those who build the SD in the future....we've covered everything.

The way I see it...if you build a Hostetler aircraft you end up with a 33% worth at least $4000.00. It's a lot of work but it's worth it for those who care about that and have the talent.
Arf's are quick and easy but not at all rewarding IMO....bottom line you buy an ARF for $1000 and it's worth $600 before you get home.

Have a read through the SD thread and you'll have a really good idea of what your into should you decide to join the team.

Here's the link....make some coffee.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 08-25-2005, 05:54 PM
4unlimited

Okay "Newf",

Also thank you very much for your input.
I followed your weblink........................ 92 pages of tread........................ takes a lot of coffee !

The Super Decathlon is definitely a favorite for my hangar. I will have to choose between Dynaflite, Wendell and Weiershauser.
It all comes down to the best flying SD design. Same goes for the Extra and the Pitts.

So to everyone: let me know how these birds fly and perform. (To me scale is not priority #1)

But building season is almost there, I'll first start-up the coffee machine.

Regards
Rick
Old 08-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Newflee

I think I could speak for the decathlons and say that the Hostetler and the German kit should fly very similar. The German kit seems to also be quite scale in all respects where the Hostetler is not 100% in all areas. The German kit is also available in a larger scale than the Hostetler 33%. I guess it depends on your budget. If you read through the SD thread there are a few posts and picks from a fellow that was building the German kit. You might want to contact him for his impressions. The Dynaflight isn't in the same class and is really not "Giant" scale IMO, but perhaps that is the size your looking for.
Budget will dictate engine choice and that will be a major factor in determining your performance no matter what direction you go. The Hostetler planes requirements max out at 80-100 cc whereas the German kit requires 100cc plus depending on which scale you opt for.
I can email you a zipped scan of the Hostetler Decathlon for you to get an idea if you like. It will be reduced in size but you'll get the idea.

Lee.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Flying Hog

Rick... Here's a short video of my 2 month old Whendell 30% Decathlon and some pics.. I now have 5 gallons run through my Zenoah G62. What an Awsome flying plane. http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=s-SD-2 Like Lee said, Look through the 33% thread. I used it quite a bit for my build. and this was my first Scratch Build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91050.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	315097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80835.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	315098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52041.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	315099  
Old 08-25-2005, 09:16 PM
korky

I have built the giles from hostetler plans. this is a very good flying plane I do not do 3D but it is one of the best flying planes that I have had. I have a 3W 70 for power which pulls it very well. the whole plane was sheeted and fiberglassed and painted and came out at 26 pounds. You will find his planes are a lot of work but very sturdyand good flyers.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Newflee

Wendell designs one aircraft per year and fully test build/flies them before offering them. I think the Decathlon may have been the first AC that he did not build himself due to his own time restraints and perhaps age.
Designing models from scratch may not be rocket science but Wendell has designed a few key items that are not only novel but consistant throughout his designs that I've seen.

"solid" is the most common term I've heard in reference to Hostetler AC flight.

Lee
Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 AM
4unlimited

Hey Lee,

Appriciate your input. Overhere in the Netherlands I couldn't find any background information about mr. Wendell Hostetler and the plans he made and planes a flew.

And for the zipped file: YES please

Rick
Old 08-26-2005, 03:41 AM
4unlimited

Okay "Old" Buzzard,

That's why I joined this forum..................... It gives me the neccessary info I need to make uo my mind for (hopefully) great looking/flying planes.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Newflee

Hmmm....not sure what all that means.?

Hey OT but what do you folks drink in ZieuwentGelderland, NETHERLANDS?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 AM
4unlimited

Just plain water................................. no-bubbles.................
Old 08-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rick, here is the 33% Super Decathlon that I built from Hostetler's plans and I love it. It probably has close to 85 flights. It's powered by a ZDZ80RV.

Ken

Name:	Sq47818.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	315464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40803.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	315465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47855.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	315466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72245.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	315467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59066.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	315468  
Old 08-27-2005, 02:54 AM
4unlimited

Nice plane Ken!

With over 80 flights I guess you consider it as a nice flying birs

In-flight pic's are just like the real thing.
And a ZDZ engine is also on top of my list. I think that (as available in Europe)it is the most powerful/lowest weight and best enigne buy.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-27-2005, 04:10 PM
John La Belle
My Feedback: (52)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rick; I have built the J3 Cub from Hostetler plans it was relatively simple to build and flys great. His plans are just fine to build from. just study the plans before cutting wood to be sure what you first see is really what Wendell intends. I am presently building his 33% Decathlon and should be as good as the Cub or better. I don't think you can go wrong with his plans. John

Name:	Da83156.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	315948  
Old 08-27-2005, 05:12 PM
4unlimited

Good to hear John,

Info, comments, replies and input such as yours, makes me more and more convinced about the right choise to start ordering the Hostetler plans.

'preciate,

Rick
Old 08-28-2005, 03:38 AM
airbatic2000

John,

I've been looking at the cub plans. Could you provide som details of the construction techniques used? Most of Mr. Hostetler designs I've seen under construction use solid balsa instead of built up structure. Where I live, good balsa is very hard to come by, and I'm afraid the airplane would end up heavy. What are you powering your cub with?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
John La Belle
My Feedback: (52)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presently using a Zenoah G-38 which is plenty of power for Hostetlers Cub. the weight of my plane is about 27 lbs and acts like a glider. the construction is not overly heavy as built to plans and extra weight probably would not hurt in any way and could be useful in windy conditions. I built up the tail surfaces instead of the solid sheet Wendell calls for and made the stab. in 2 halves with the scale gap to the fuselage using brass tubing and 1/4 alum. rod as the connector. other than the solid tail surfaces the construction is guite light for the size of the plane and the wings come out surprisingly light
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 AM
4unlimited

If I may contribute my $two-cents

Just a thought for an engine:
www.justengines.unseen.org/mv360p.htm
58ccm 8.5BHP !!

Weight/power/price : great

video
http://www.justengines.unseen.org/mv...vs58_large.wmv

I am seriously considering this powerhouse for my Wendell Hostetler [X(] Extra 330XS 27%

MVVS (and ZDZ) are produced in Czech Republic, but that doesn't make any difference on the quality and reliability.
Product support, availability, service and price on this side of the pond are really okay's.

MVVS has also "just" announced their new 45ccm, maybe not an engine for the Hostetler planes but also a great performer.

Regards from the Netherlands

Name:	Sq47528.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	329999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86843.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	330000  
Old 09-28-2005, 04:59 AM
Possum-RCU

Thought I would throw in my two cents. I modified Wendell's Cessna 182 into a 172 before he came out with the 172 kit. It takes a little longer to build his kits, but they are solid and fly great. My 172 has a G62 engine, flaps, working lights and scale controls like the full size my friend lets me fly. I do not know how to attach a photo, but if you click on my name at the right ( Possum-RCU) you can see my profile and photos of the Cessna. Enjoy!!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:42 AM
4unlimited

Hello Possum-RCU,

That is one nice looking Cessna ! I like the cockpit
Including the Cub of course....... is it a scratch build also?

Regards

(PS, photo attachments
If you have posted your input, reply or post and had hit the OK button
then you can go to your posted message and choose the REPLY button, this gives the possibility to upload files/pic's)
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
RVM

Did you ever decide what to build?