Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Slowing down a Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra 330

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Slowing down a Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra 330

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:03 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowing down a Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra 330

After flying my 40% Edge for the last 5 months. Now I find my Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra 330 to be extremely fast on final. I guess I had gotten used to it's speed when I was flying it all the time. How do I tame the beast ? I have a DA 100 with a 28x10 Mejzlik prop, the plane weighs 26 pounds.
Thanks.
jef
Old 08-26-2005, 07:38 AM
3D ONdaEDGE

Default RE: Slowing down a Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra 330

Good Luck with that one. I was running both the 26 and 28x10 on mine and never did get it very slow. Of course everything is gonna be faster after flying a 40%er. I do know one thing that will slow the plane down. Kill the engine on your final turn. It will come in real slow that way.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 AM
figueroa

Thanks 3D,
I kinda thought the same. I was going to invest in a 26 inch prop but I guess I will save my money and enjoy the plane as it is. It does land really slow with some head wind.
jef
Old 08-26-2005, 07:59 AM
SBeachman
My Feedback: (8)

Simpler than that........

Mix in some 'flap-erons' and use them on your approach.

Then just walk it on in !!!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 AM
I & C Tech

Or spoilerons.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:02 AM
japan3d

I just fly mine in on the prop. 15 degrees nose up and a few clicks of throttle does it just right. DA100 and MenzS 27 x 10
Old 08-26-2005, 11:03 AM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Also you might try a slight slip to help slow the aircraft down.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Killing the engine doesn't help much. Using the prop disk at a low idle has a much better effect. I used a Mejzlik28x10 and mine slowed down good. As recommended, practice side slipping in, does wonders, or put in a little spoilerons (both ailerons up 5-10mm) and the plane will slow more, due to it now needs to fly slightly nose high to maintain altitude, and therefore appears a little dirty in the air.
You are so right about going back from a 40% to anything smaller, it doesn't work real well. That is why I have given up flying or keeping anything byt 40%'ers, and foamies he he.

DKjens
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM
figueroa

Thanks Guys,
I will play with my radio this week end and mix in some flaperon . It's funny how I use to think my 2.6 was the best plane I had ever flown till I started flying my 40% Edge.
Thanks again.
jef
Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 PM
PJFaller

I dont know if any mixing in the radio is even needed. It is the same with all aircraft just takes some practice. Chop the power on downwind and practice slowing the airplane until you are controling speed with pitch and the sink rate wiht the throttle. Doesnt really matter what the idle or prop is doing for speed. If you get the pitch attitude right the prop will conrtol the altitude and sink rate rather than the speed. It works on every airfoil and takes some practice but once you get it right its easy. I know some people are going to argue with me and I expect that, but in my 20 plus years of Rc and 15,000 hours as a commercial pilot it works for almost every airfoil. Think about it High Alpha what is controlling speed and what is controlling sink rate or lack there of. Its not nearly as high a pitch angle obviously but its the same principle. Give it a try. Power to idle, hold the nose slightly nose high just like it would be in the landing attitude and as it starts to sink add a little power. It should not stall nor get mushy. just play with the pitch and power fly a normal pattern and land that way. Just as you are touching down it may require one or two clicks of power and as the wheels hit power to idle. Ive been doing it for years and it works great. Good Luck!!

Pete
Old 08-26-2005, 10:49 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Mine comes in rather easy. In fact I was pleasantly surprised at how slow I could bring it in. I am cutting the power at the start of my final turn at a rather low altitude so there is no excess speed build up. Every Composite extra that I have seen seemed like it came in a little hot, but mine comes in nice and slow. I guess it just takes practice. Now being in your situation going from a 40% back down, all you can do is practice. Just dont practice too much or you will forget how to fly the 40%er.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:55 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Learn the approach Faller mentioned -for any plane
Don't look at a landing as a commitment -think of it as a well executed touch and go -without the go.
40% stuf is bonehead easy to land (one of the reasons we all like em) but the controlled throttle to touchdown is the best setup for any size.
The slight flared atitude requires just a bit of power for last few inches of altitude.
Our 30% YAK can be landed on the tailwheel easily -just fly in on a flare till wheel touches, then reduce power -don't change flight controls .
It is good practice for any decent aerobatic model.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:10 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

This is interesting to me, thanks for bringing it up Jef!~). I have been flying my 2.6 a lot lately, and love it. I agree with the hotness of landing as mentioned. It's got DA100 27-10 mejzlik. I found the stock CG to be way too far forward for my style and it would make the plane "race" on landing, making the nose feel really hard to pick up with elevator. I moved the CG back to the middle of the spar box with the wing panels off. Still a bit nose heavy and requires just a bit of push inverted.
That took 7oz of lead on the rudder stern post to do. Since then I removed the lead and moved both lithion 2800 pack WAY back in the fuse to get my prefered CG. It lands a ton nicer now and is much better and pattern and 3D but still does not land like my 2.3 DA50. I think it is just heavier.

I agree with the slow down on base leg and deck angle on final, side slip for breaking and or full on slip. I love them all right or left pattern, up right or inverted. The 2.6 seems to have it's quirks just like any model.

Dick is right about the 40%ers too!

Joe
Old 08-27-2005, 04:30 PM
PJFaller

Many landing methods are acceptable but the one I would definately pay very close attention to is the side slip that a few people have talked about. The slip is great technique but can bite you VERY quickly. Cross control an airplane that is about to stall and watch what happens. I can remember back in my instructing full scale days I would take a student out and reinforce what a cross controlled situation can develop into. Next time you fly take the airplane up to a safe altitude slow it down for a stall with a turn to either the right or left and then add opposite rudder as its about to break and watch the thing roll onto its back. Quite interesting!!! It would certainly get students attention. Now bring that down close to the ground a watch what happens. Im not saying that you cant do it consistently without problems but why do it if you dont have to. Especially on a heavily wing loaded airplane. Why do you think we dont do it on commercial jets. VERY INTERESTING!!! Airplane flys like a cement safe. Just be careful doing this method. Try controlling altitude with power.... and speed with pitch trust me it works great.

Dont forget EVERY good landing doesnt start at Touchdown. Every Good landing is followed by a proper approach.

Happy landings,

Pete
Old 08-27-2005, 08:21 PM
matus777

"Why do you think we dont do it on commercial jets."

Pete, on some it's a reccomended procedure...on others, an accepted technique.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:09 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I had some very interesting practice today and this evening. Got 10 20 minutes flights in on the 2.6. Did some real slowing down and both 3 point and wheel only landings. The 2.6 really is easy to wheel land. I had not tried it yet and it went great. I might move my CG more aft and see how that goes. This plane does slow down.

Joe
Old 08-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PJFaller

... Why do you think we dont do it on commercial jets ...
I dunno about that. My father used to comment on how the 757 did real nice in a slip.

I know you know this Pete, but for the benefit of others, a slip to landing is not supposed to be used to slow down, it's intended to lose altitude without increasing speed.

-Ben
Old 08-29-2005, 08:04 AM
PJFaller

The answer to why we dont slip commercial jets is for several reasons. Alot of people refer to a crosswind landing as a slip and in a way it is. Cross control with one wing down. Now for approaches slipping to lose altitude without gaining airspeed is another story. Sliping a commercial jet and I have and I try to avoid it at all costs, and one of the ones I have done it in is a 757 the side load on the airplane first of all get the people in the back sick ( ive gotten complaints ) and most importantly my company does NOT recommend them because of the amount of energy the aircraft builds in the sink with a slip. You want to talk about an airplane that comes down like a safe!!! Ive done it!! Now a little top rudder in the turn to final wont hurt anything but the people in the back of the airplane, but putting the airplane into a full blown slip can get very ugly. It will bite you very quickly if you are not careful. Once you get that much mass moving in one direction it takes time to stop it. Go search I think its fox KVVU in Las Vegas and do a search for an American MD80 landing. Happened last week. Im not saying that he slipped the airplane in the approach but look at the cross controlled situation on landing. It is common practice to do this but see how wrong it went with this airplane. He got the wing and the tail on landing and the winds were reported at 4 knots at the time of touchdown. Thats were Im going with this. Can you slip any airplane...Absoloutely YES! But energy management is key with ANY aircraft..

Pete
Old 08-29-2005, 09:55 PM
matus777

Pete, Slips are not recomended on the 75 or MD 80 for x-wind landings for some of the reasons you mentioned and also due to swept wing but on other types the manual does request the slip on short final...mostly due to truck arrangement.....recently they have provided an option to use the crab method....energy management is crucial. Also in Vegas, and other dry climates, 4 kts of wind
can provide a wild ride on final but due to thermals and metro conditions.....i actually hate "calm" winds in dry, hot climates.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 AM
PJFaller

Matus,

I see you are an Illinois guy so Im making an assumption here. AA or UA...Im UA..

Pete
Old 08-30-2005, 12:05 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I dont know if any mixing in the radio is even needed. It is the same with all aircraft just takes some practice.
I agree this this completely. Anything you can do to simplify switch flipping is a good thing. Even worse... you get used to landing your airplane one way and forget to flip the switch... flight characteristics change and you aren't ready. I see a lot of guys messing with flaps crash their planes. Also, critical AOA (stall angle of attack) actually DECREASES with flaps... you'll think the nose isn't too high then BAM!!! Bit.

Sideslips... you can do it up high to get down (with RC) but don't so it near the ground... it'll bite you one day... never know how the plane will fly right after taking out the slip.

Try this: IF you are fast, wag the rudder slightly back and forth before the threshold... try it high first then work your way down... not too aggressively though. It'll scrub off a LOT of speed and get you to a speed where you can use Fallers method... works great. I like doing this because it gives me enough speed prior to the runway that I could still dead-stick if I need to... the use the rudder wag to transition to a power on landing.

Gross side-slips in large aircraft are also bad for the structure... it puts a lot of strain on the tail and the fuel baffles inside the wings. Now, I only have 2,500 hours, but I get to explore the envelope more than most pilots. In the C-130 we'll do ridge crossings where we'll cross a 3,000 foot ridge at 200 feet and 60 degrees of bank and use a ton of bottom rudder to transition to a 30 degree nose-low attitude, then roll out and hug the ridge at 200 feet to the bottom. The loadmasters in back say they can hear the tail groaning and can see slits of light open up around the rear doors... that's a lot of stress. Luckily... this bird is meant for it (though I have heard of blown fuel baffles being discovered in inspections)... and man the hands and feet of it are fun!!! So... back to crosswinds... we have to get rid of all crab... scary how low the wing can get in a 35 knot crosswind!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

Just keep practicing, and it will get better. These aerobatic planes fly and land so easy, it really shouldn't be a problem. Scott
Old 08-30-2005, 06:48 PM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

Anyone try a 3 blade on this plane with the da-100 and regular mufflers? What size type?

Craig
Old 08-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move the CG back and it'll slow down great.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:14 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK- here is the correct landing approach for your model--
Just hold the nose up till the tail smacks down---
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43238.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	318089  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.