Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Electric Gasoline Fueling Systems

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Electric Gasoline Fueling Systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric Gasoline Fueling Systems

Swetpea01- The sparkpug on my mower makes a spark on the INSIDE of the cylinder. Yes, the box containing the batteries and wiring is sealed. Yes, the motor housing is sealed. That's the whole point.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but a brushed motor can create a shower of sparks. If the timing is off or if the motor is overloaded the brushes produce sparks. It only takes a little gas sloshed around a leaking cap to make enough fumes to go boom. Why belittle those that try to minimize risk and make something safe?

-Ben
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ben Diss

It only takes a little gas sloshed around a leaking cap to make enough fumes to go boom.
Hi Ben,

I agree with you on this, and I'm sure if an accident would happen, this is the most likely scenario....but I was thinking about what the results would be in that case. First, unless you have the lids off the can, it's likely to be a very small poof, not an explosion, and a probable ensuing small fire that shouldn't be much unless it is left to burn through the can or lids. There is not going to be an instant explosion. Assuming(you know what they say about assumption) you're following the rules and have a fire extinguisher handy(or even a jacket), you should have plenty of time to put the little fire out before there's a major event(of course, some people might be running at this point--maybe the smart choice). I think this is why you don't hear about any cans exploding, because it is a very unlikely scenario, no matter how careless, or poor of fueling rig you have. Am I wrong about this? There has to be some reasonable explaination why you don't hear about fuel cans exploding all the time at flying fields around the Country. It's certainly not because everyone has a safe fueling rig.

Boy, have I opened a can of worms with this one.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been done before Some people are never gonna be happy unless they excercise their arms.

Now what about jets....