Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

SIG SPACEWALKER SUGGESTIONS ?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

SIG SPACEWALKER SUGGESTIONS ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Gargoyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG SPACEWALKER SUGGESTIONS ?

I currently have a Great Planes space walker, & I am seriously thinking about Building a Sig 1/3 Spacewalker.
I was thinking about Fiberglassing the entire plane then painting it with PPG automotive paint. Would this be a good Idea or would this make the plane too heavy ?
In addition to this I was contemplating Powering the plane with a MOKI 2.10 are there any thoughts on this Idea, since Ive noticed that most people power these planes with gas engines.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

George
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 AM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIG SPACEWALKER SUGGESTIONS ?

I think it would be too heavy. I built the Spacewalker II and covered mine with Solartex ( a cloth covering sold by Balsa USA). Mine is very durable and still somewhat lighter than glass would be.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:02 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

NO to the fiberglass idea, not at all scale. What you want is a painted fabric. Solartex would work, so would Sig Koverite.

The Moki 210 would be fine. Lots of power, you woud be flying at 1/2 the power for the most part.

Love those Spacewalker's and love the Moki, good combo. I have had two Spacewalkers, a 1/3 scale and a 1/4 scale. Both scratch built. The 1/4 scale was powered by an OS 120 and the 1/3 scale by a 3.2 gas motor. The Moki 210 is about the same power as the gas motor.

tonyc
Old 09-08-2005, 02:11 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Gargoyle

I am currently building the Sig 1/3 Spacewalker, and as others have said, here are the reasons you do not want to glass

1) The plane would not be scale
2) The plane would be a flying brick
3) The plane would not be scale

Please check out my build thread here on RCU. I have taken a few weeks off, due to the fact that I was a little burnt out and will be starting back on building again today or tomorrow. Here is the link to the build thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29...tm.htm#2975275

Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Gargoyle

I was already considering a fabric covering, and since I want to keep this plane scale, my only real decision is which one to go with.
Any suggestions ?
I'm still leaning to wards the MOKI 2.10 but I would love to use either an O.S. FF320 or an FT300 I just don't have the $1500.00 or $1000.00
respectively at this time for an engine. Maybe once the plane is done the cash flow may allow for one of these more scale looking engines.

Thanks

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44832.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	321561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48771.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	321562  
Old 09-08-2005, 06:29 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Too bad they don't have a nice gasser built like those glow engines. For an engine that big, glow would cost you an arm and a leg. Heck, with gas prices going up, it may be a wash in a few months.

As for the covering, Solartex/Worldtex (same covering) is great! This is the first time for me to use it and I love the stuff. There are guys at the field that swear by the stuff and I see why. Easy to go around corners, and shrinks very nicely. I covered my wing in the stuff and just feel in love with it. I plan on building a world war I plane just so I can use the stuff again!

Good luck with your Spacewalker.