Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

No brakes on pavement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 06:13 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brakes on pavement

How do you guys get your big birds stopped in a safe distance when flying off blacktop or cement runways without using brakes? I have a 25% Edge, and it rolls at idle on the pavement. Do you all just shut your engines off on landing? Thanks for any advise.

Kevin
Old 10-29-2002, 07:26 AM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

YEAH...I am wondering the same thing!!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:21 PM
OnTheEdge

While I don't fly off of a hard surface, it seemed all the guys at the TOC killed the engine after touch down. Not sure if it was to keep the plane from rolling or a mandatory safety rule. Perhaps someone with more info on that can chime in. One thing that I have heard guys do is press the wheel collars tight against the wheel hub before tightening the set screw. This creates drag on the wheels and acts a little like brakes. You just have to make sure you get both wheels with about the same amount of drag and you must check them often. The extra drag under takeoff power is barely noticed.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default brakes

It might of interest, I'm having hydraulic brakes made for my up and coming 52% Edge. They can make them for any size airplanes.

http://www.pstjets.com/images/general/brake1.jpg

In my case it will serve for a variety of purposes.
With a ZDZ 210 in the nose with an onboard starter, the brakes will hold the plane while I do some sort of run-up.
Once it lands, either pavement or short field, the brakes will be very usefull.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:48 PM
JoshFlies3D

Easier than getting brakes ...

When you are coming in make sure your low , about 20-40 feet from the runway (depending on if your plane has a tendency to stall a lot) chop the throttle to idle , glide it in , after you land try to get it towards you and then kill the engine .
Old 10-29-2002, 05:06 PM
Tipover

I noticed the TOC flyer's all shut down to. With a low crosswind, you can come in real slow, and 3 point, but as the wind goes up, you need a faster approach and touchdown. At some fields, its common practice to pull off the runway and into the grass/ditch to get stopped. Kinda scares me .

I was hoping someone would chime in with some kind of simple fixed breaking setup. Something that would provide enough drag to taxi and stop without shutting down the engine. Maybe some kind of rubber disk between the wheel and collars?

Kevin
Old 10-29-2002, 08:25 PM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

I actually put pieces of fuel tube on the axels of my 40 size planes and it worked for a little bit...until the fuel tube started to get smushed between the wheen and the gear. Tried a bigger piece but it made for too much drag and almost ground looped on each takeoff.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:46 PM
snyder_man
My Feedback: (52)

Default brakes

When I fly my GS warbird off payment I put some drag on the tail wheel. Usually a piece of fuel tubing. You don't have to worry about differential braking and it is only effective when the tail is down. Works for me.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Tipover

Default Re: brakes

Originally posted by aerografixs
It might of interest, I'm having hydraulic brakes made for my up and coming 52% Edge. They can make them for any size airplanes.

http://www.pstjets.com/images/general/brake1.jpg

In my case it will servo for a variety of purposes.
With a ZDZ 210 in the nose with an onboard starter, the brakes will hold the plane while I do so sort of run-up.
Once it lands, either pavement or short field, the brakes will be very usefull.
aerografixs, thats a pretty nice setup. Whats the all up weight of the brake system? is it proportional braking? Just make sure you don't hit em to hard

Kevin
Old 10-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

From what one of the TOC guys told me, they don't really shut down the engine. The landing idle is such that the engine cannot continue to run at taxing speeds so it dies. (this is what I was told)

Second, what I have done is add full up elevator and aileron on a switch. When I flip it, I stop in a hurry. Takes two mixes!
Old 10-29-2002, 10:56 PM
3DFlyer2387
My Feedback: (2)

The fuel tube method works pretty good...But at our field we dont have a real long runway and it is cement and one field member owns a 42% (or so) Cap 232 and he lands and is able to turn around using only half the runway by pulling full up elevator once the plane touches down which helps slow the plane down as well as it glues the tail wheel to the ground so he can steer it better at medium ground speeds. Just a little info that i hope helps out.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:51 AM
Slocum

About the only technique I know, and use, is a light zigzag. Don’t do it going fast. It only works on the lower end. It will work from trainers to full sized.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:04 AM
LarryC

I recently had one of local guys tell me of an arrangement where he somehow
lowered a small plate against the tailwheel when full up elevator was applied. He said it worked well.

LarryC
Old 10-30-2002, 02:44 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It all in the flare of the landing. The slower you land the less it will roll. I also use 3d elevator rate after I touch down.

At the toc I noticed Jason's Extra had a drag on the tires, you could here them squeek.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:27 PM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gistware,
I did that... Once... I landed in a slight breeze was nearly at a stop and hit the 3D rates. Plane jumped literally 5 feet off the ground with the engine idleing. I'll never do that again... We have grass next to our runway. I just taxi near the edge and if it gets going too fast I just dip into the grass now.
FWIW
RickP
Old 10-31-2002, 04:38 PM
hoveralot

Default PAVEMENT

The full elevator can be used only when airspeed is not enough to fly the airplane. What I do is to zigzag and then full elevator to stop large airplanes. If that is not enough, grass always stop them.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:46 AM
Forgues Research

Default Re: Re: brakes

Originally posted by Tipover

aerografixs, thats a pretty nice setup. Whats the all up weight of the brake system? is it proportional braking? Just make sure you don't hit em to hard

Kevin
Kevin,
I'm not sure yet on the weight, but it should be quite low.
They are proportional braking since the servo activates the master cylinder.
As for safety not to hit them hard, I will be programing a few flight modes and the only time I will be able to lock the brakes is during the "start and run-up" flight mode.
During the actual flight, the brakes are inactive and then for the landing I use a different flight mode where you can't lock the brakes.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:07 AM
Tim_Indy

2 of the clubs I belong to have asphalt runways, and my 33% Extra has zero problem stopping at either one. One main secret is having the idle set low enough so that the plane does NOT roll at idle. If your plane's idle speed makes your plane roll, then your touchdown speed is probably faster than it needs to be, and since asphalt doesn't have the braking effect of grass, there's no way to stop it after touchdown since the prop is still pulling it. Spend the time to get a slow reliable idle that doesn't roll the plane, and you'll be in business.

Tim
Old 11-01-2002, 02:24 AM
AndyF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, Don's Hobby Shop (He advertises in RCM) has an electricly operated breaking system that is supposed to work on most any size aircraft. Might be worth a look.

Andy
Old 09-27-2003, 04:40 PM
phil1

Default RE: brakes

whose onboard starter are you using for that ZDZ please?
Old 09-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Forgues Research

Default RE: brakes

whose onboard starter are you using for that ZDZ please?
The starter is from Brookside Machines in Texas. It weighs 28 oz.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:03 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: No brakes on pavement

Buna N ORings work better and last a lot longer...
Old 09-27-2003, 11:08 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: No brakes on pavement

I touch down and right afterwards shut down the motor or I let it roll out and slow down enough to where I can turn the plane back towards me then kill it and roll it back to myself.

Sometimes the wind is nice and it will keep the plane from moving at idle.

Steven