Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aero-works 36% Katana comments on anybody?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aero-works 36% Katana comments on anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
tkilwein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero-works 36% Katana comments on anybody?

Hi,

I am interested in the Aeroworks 36% katana ARF. I plan on a DA100 for the power plant.
What are anyones impressions or opinions of the kit and flying traits?
I am trying to decide on a scratch build plane or buy a kit.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 09-26-2005, 07:59 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: Aero-works 36% Katana comments on anybody?

They fly good, but come out heavy. I would consider a 3w 106 for the extra power at your altitude. Realistic weights are 28-31lbs. I would try to get an ARC if you really want that plane. The CHP extra that AW is also a good value in an ARC.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:04 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else have this plane? Would also like to hear more on it.

Thanks
David
Old 10-14-2005, 10:00 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

A buddy of mine is flying one with the DA-100 and it flies great.
I'll point him in the direction of this thread for you.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:27 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Proabably should of searched more before posting here, found what i wanted, thanks!!!

David
Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

Glad you found what you were looking for David. As Wayne mentioned, I've got one of these and absolutely love it. Did a few mods to keep it light, like CF mains and tail gear, single 8611 servos for the ailerons and an 8611A on a pull-pull for the rudder. I'm pulling it around with a tired DA100 and it has unlimited vertical at 620' MSL. Pilot is one of those foam helmet heads from AI. Suspicion (guess) is that it's under 28 pounds. It flies well, so I haven't been concerned with its weight.

The Katana flies big, IMO. Spins, knife edge, high alpha, walls (unbelievable actually), waterfalls, blenders, IMAC, Lomcevacs, it'll do them.

Negs: As with any ARF airplane, you have to spend time with the covering iron when you pull the airplane out of the box. With an ARC, you'll be laying down covering in the same places so why not just go over the ARF with an iron and make sure it's good and tight? It's ultracote, and it gets hot here which means after every day at the field I'm back at it with an iron. Would be the same if I covered it myself.

The tubes are kind of heavy, but can be replaced. I chose to keep the stock wing/stab tubes and they're doing OK. Firewall got aluminum angle to keep it on. Hinges are the robart style, rather than the CA that they include with the kit or the Dubro GS hinges that come with the hardware package.

Mark Dennis can probably chime in here too as to how the airplane performs in Colorado's atmosphere.

I think if you can build it smart and light, you'll love it.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its a little late but if you are still interested in one here is what I have to say about the plane.

I absoulutly love mine I have a da 100 on stock mufflers and at 27#'s the plane has good power at our altitude pullout isnt like a rocket but its fine. As Fly Boy said the katana flys like a much larger plane and floats better than alot of 40%'s ive flown. I am running one hitec 5995 on the rudder and it has plenty of authoritie and saves about 4oz's I also have carbon every thing except for the spinner. I have hitec 5945's on all other surfaces which are also more than enough. 1 reciever and fromeco lithiums for batts which really dont save weight but i can get like 10 flights in befoere I even think of recharging.

If you are sill thinking of building a kit the CA line is very nice I am planning on getting the 34% and building it this winter the goal as far as weight goes is around 24#'s with a DA which i think is very possible.

If you have any questions feel free to ask,
Mark Dennis
Old 10-23-2005, 08:53 PM
RC51
My Feedback: (1)

I bought the Katana as an ARC last year. I finally got it flying last month. I have about 15 flights on it so far. This is a really great flying 3rd scale plane. I have not put any mixes on it yet. It holds knife edge with only the slightest pull towards the landing gear and 0 roll coupling. Hovering and torque rolling this plane is almost a joke, as it seems to be quite comfortable standing on its tail. A very neutral flying airplane.
My setup includes Fromeco dual super reliaswitches and batteries on one rx, and one Fromeco super reliaswitch and battery on the ignition. BME 110 that still needs breaking in, but it does pull out of a torque with authority. I have not weighed the plane, but I suspect it is around 28 lbs. I have Hitec 5945s on the ailerons and elevator and one 5955 on pull-pull for the rudder. I did take some wood out of the tail to help with balance, however since the engine is so light I still had to add a pound of lead to the firewall (just could not be avoided). Power is not an issue. I'm using the stock landing gear and wing/stab tubes.

Let me know if you ned any more information.

Doug
Old 10-23-2005, 10:50 PM
tkilwein

Thanks everybody for the comments!

I just bought one before the sale went off.

I am impressed with the kit so far, have the rudder,elevators,cowl and landing gear done so far.
Still have to hinge the ailerons, using SIG Giant scale hinges on all pivots, bigger than the dubro giant size.

Spent approx 1.5 hours getting the wrinkels out, but they were not bad for a kit this size. I had a 40 size way worse.

I machined 4 spacers for the engine standoff yesterday and will finish mounting the DA100 tomorrow.

Balanced the plane roughly with all stuff loosly in place and looks like I might be able to put the rudder servo/s in the back.

I am thinking on the 5945's for all but the rudder. still thinking on the one for that.

One question, I have the Futaba 9ZHPS setup, will the digital 5945's servos work with out being programmed if I have 120+ throws set?
I do not have the Hitec programmer.

I will post more as I finish up.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Tony