Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics 35% Extra 330L Build and review

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Precision Aerobatics 35% Extra 330L Build and review

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
gbaggerly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Precision Aerobatics 35% Extra 330L Build and review

I picked up my PA Extra for TBM last week, what great workmanship. What are you using for the rudder control? Is one JR 8611a enough? Direct hook up from rear or pull pull cable? Were did you make the spacer for the engine mount, 1/4" ply?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:27 PM
PR3DPILOT

Congratulations on your purchase...
I am not familiar with JR servos, however I am using a Hitec HS-5955 (333 oz) with a pull pull set-up I got from Gene with kevlar wires.
It is also possible to hook up in direct link one or two servos on the tail. (servo holes have been already cut on each side).
I might entertain this option if my plane comes up nose heavy. However, I do not know yet as I have not completed my instalation yet.
I plan on building all but cut the connection for the tail servos, since the kevlar wire is almost weightless. Then I will decide where to put the one servo for the rudder. Remember you also have two places to put it in and fine tune the balance more!

The 1/4 inch plywood I got from a never finished field box from great planes I cut it with a dremel after outlining it with the engine. the holes are 1/4 inch and I shaped it to the outside of the engine mount.
You could also go with a 1/8 and probably get away with it or use some of the large washers like I used for the back. See earlier post.

You will be able to tell once you drill the firewall and install the engine if you need more or less. according to where you want the cowl to sit, but I believe that you could even mount the engine with-out the spacer and be alright. It is just personal taste.
Do not forget to have a piece of wood behind the firewall clamped in so you get a clean cut!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: gbaggerly

I picked up my PA Extra for TBM last week, what great workmanship. What are you using for the rudder control? Is one JR 8611a enough? Direct hook up from rear or pull pull cable? Were did you make the spacer for the engine mount, 1/4" ply?

Thanks for the compliment

The 8611 has equivalent torque as the Hitec 5955 so you can use it for sure. It is good servo. Don’t use or buy the 8411 though

About the engine spacer if it is DA100 buy from Troy Built the DA spacers made of ply, no need to cut or do anything they are laser cut and designed by us. Not expansive

Good luck

Shaun
Precision Aerobatics Team
Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 PM
PR3DPILOT

I heard the control horns are finally in!!!!!!!
[&:]
Old 11-15-2005, 12:51 AM
JLS
My Feedback: (19)

Got my control horns and carbon tubes today. They are the same PA quality as the rest of the plane. Cant wait to get this bird in the air. Waiting on my Chip Hyde quiet pipes now.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Just a FYI the Hitec HS-5955 has 420oz of torque at 7.2V. Been running my 35%'s at this voltage for 5 years.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: Darrinc

Just a FYI the Hitec HS-5955 has 420oz of torque at 7.2V. Been running my 35%'s at this voltage for 5 years.

But 5955 is not existed 5 years

Also it is not recommended to be used with more than 6V

Are you sure you are talking about the same servo?

Shaun
Old 11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hello Shaun

I get the feeling you didn't read Darrinc comments correctly!

He clearly stated he was Been running my 35%'s at this voltage for 5 years. He didn't mean the Servo just the voltage.

Tell me something what's wrong with the JR DS8411 the new ones U commented about?

I was over at Jean's the other day and looked over your Edge not bad at all.

Ian
Old 11-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

I cringe every time I see stuff like this. You are not following the manufacturer's recommendations for their product.
If you choose to do this on your planes, that is your decision, just don't complain if the product then fails you.

Please do not recommend that others follow your lead though and ignore the manufacturers recommendations also. We have flyers of all different levels reading these forums and you may be leading someone in the wrong direction when they don't yet have enough of a data base built up to make their own decision on whether or not to follow your advice.

jim
Old 11-15-2005, 07:25 PM
JLS

Shaun,
In an earlier post you mention sanding the wing tube to make it fit. Does this also apply to the carbon tubes? Mine is very tight but I wanted to make sure that sanding the carbon doesn't cause delamination or anything like that.
Thanks
Old 11-16-2005, 05:11 AM
Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: Flyjets

Hello Shaun

I get the feeling you didn't read Darrinc comments correctly!

He clearly stated he was Been running my 35%'s at this voltage for 5 years. He didn't mean the Servo just the voltage.

Tell me something what's wrong with the JR DS8411 the new ones U commented about?

I was over at Jean's the other day and looked over your Edge not bad at all.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the compliment about the Edge

I wouldn’t recommend using 7.2V with Hitec servos. In fact I recommend our customers to discharge a bit the 6V packs if charged in fast chargers because they of course exceeds the 6V when they are full and Hitec servos do not like seeing more than 6V. You can see them jittering sometimes in the first minutes when the pack is full. I'm pretty sure other brand servos don’t like more than 6V either. In fact the proper voltage is 5.5V however we the RC flyers don’t like the idea of less torque so we all want the 6V but after fast charging the pack can exceed the 7+ volt for the few first minutes of use.

I did answer a nice guy that sent me PM about the JR

I don’t really want to bash JR because I like their products and I use them but the 8411 is not something that I would recommend using in person, they simply strip gears. I even saw one of my buddies flying his 35% and stripped one of the servos gear fortunately it didn’t jam.

They also don’t have much torque. The 8611 is the improved version and it is a lot better, more toque and I think they got read of the stripping gears so why going with the 8411?

I heard about more failures of the 8411 over and over again.

Again this is my observation and my opinion. Everybody can have their own opinion and make their own decision about the selected gear.

Shaun
Old 11-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Precision Aerobatics

ORIGINAL: JLS

Shaun,
In an earlier post you mention sanding the wing tube to make it fit. Does this also apply to the carbon tubes? Mine is very tight but I wanted to make sure that sanding the carbon doesn't cause delamination or anything like that.
Thanks

It is certainly applies on the carbon tubes as well.
No it will not damage the CF and don’t force the wings on the tube. We broke another wing panel like that.

About the wing tubes I will explain the situation

Producing the CF tubes has some tolerance (more than the alu) therefore we specified to have the mistake up rather than down (undersize)

Sanding the CF tube is not a big prob and will allow perfect fit

We just don’t like tubes fitting too loose and prefer to have slightly oversize with a bit of sanding,

We made few different molds one at a time with 0.05mm+ but that was the best option from all

you should get easy fit with no forces on the wing panels at all.

Shaun
Old 11-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Darrinc

ORIGINAL: Precision Aerobatics

Also it is not recommended to be used with more than 6V

Are you sure you are talking about the same servo?

Shaun

Oops, I ment the 5995's. But I have been, and all they guys in my flying group have been flying the 5945's without regulators and using Li-Ions for, actually it is going on six years. We all still have the same planes, or have transfered our system to whatever new plane we get. The only servo that complains a little bit is the HS-55 and HS-81's that we run for throttle. It makes noise for about a minute. I have never had any of my servo's fail, just had to put new gears in them on occation.

But I alway have been and always will be a think out of the box type person, hence the term manufacturer's recommendations, not that it is written in stone. Everything was throughly tested before any flight time. It all started when I lost my favorite plane in the world to a failed regulator. Been doing the KISS, method ever since.

I guess this is why we got to space out at Scaled Composites first, we didn't follow any of the manufacturer's recommendations.

(message edited for spelling)
Old 11-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Darrinc

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

I cringe every time I see stuff like this. You are not following the manufacturer's recommendations for their product.
If you choose to do this on your planes, that is your decision, just don't complain if the product then fails you.

Please do not recommend that others follow your lead though and ignore the manufacturers recommendations also. We have flyers of all different levels reading these forums and you may be leading someone in the wrong direction when they don't yet have enough of a data base built up to make their own decision on whether or not to follow your advice.

jim

Maybe you should spend your time exploring other avenues instead of cringing. You yourself might be on the verge of the next greatest thing to happen in modelling, but it sounds like you haven't taken the time to look and experiment.

Experimentation is the key to everything we know!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM
PR3DPILOT

Hey how about them yankees????

Seriously guys lets try to keep it focused on the plane and the build and not turn this into a boxing match!

By the way, I have to agree with the experimentation comments, otherwise we would still be flying small, heavy planes with trimmer engines and analog servos.
The lipo technology, 3D flight and digi servos are all cause people want to experiment and try new things.

I also have to disagree with the remark that lot of people read this thread with diferent skill levels.

I would hope that somebody that puts together a $4000.00 dollar plane with all this technology has a clue and can make his own decisions based on experience. this is not a thread about the Avistar, but a High-performance 35% aerobatic plane.

However...
The hs-55 and hs-81 for throtle? This servos are a little underkill (I mean come on!) this servos struggle with my foamie, strip gears like crazy and you use them for your big gas planes?

I believe they may handle the voltage, but I don't think they can handle the vibration at all. Moreover, I would not want to be around a 100cc airplane with a micro servo for throttle. (DANGEROUS)
Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 PM
JLS

When installing the control horns, do you recommend gorilla glue or epoxy? Also, does anyone know a thread or source of information that explains the geometry of why the inner aileron control horn is different than the outer? Considering no instruction manual, is there anything I need to know before putting these control horns in?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Mrt1750
My Feedback: (1)

well I guess I got the last one ordered it last night was going to wait,
but you guys made it sound too good.
Web site now says temp. out of stock.
According to Gene I should receive it on Monday, early Xmas gift to myself.
Don't know what I will use for power yet but I'm leaning to ZDZ 80 super
waiting for Dick Hanson to finish testing different setups
Would like to know what you are all using?
Has anyone flown one yet?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

ORIGINAL: Precision Aerobatics

Shaun
http://hitecrcd.com/Servos/HS5955TG.htm

I would tend to think the 5955 not only exists (there are 5 in my QQ Yak), but it is the top of the line airplane servo in Hitec's product line up at the moment.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 PM
kevka
My Feedback: (7)

He was saying they did not exist 5 yr AGO, not that they never existed. You must pardon Shauns Aussi slang. HEE HEE HEE. We all know they do exist and are great.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 PM
kevka
My Feedback: (7)

JLS, I personally like Gorilla Glue because it expands as it dries therefor filling in all the cracks. but watch out!!! it can push out the hinge pins or control horns, check on them every few minutes for the first hour and after that usually you are safe.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Darrinc

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Hey how about them yankees????

Seriously guys lets try to keep it focused on the plane and the build and not turn this into a boxing match!

By the way, I have to agree with the experimentation comments, otherwise we would still be flying small, heavy planes with trimmer engines and analog servos.
The lipo technology, 3D flight and digi servos are all cause people want to experiment and try new things.

I also have to disagree with the remark that lot of people read this thread with diferent skill levels.

I would hope that somebody that puts together a $4000.00 dollar plane with all this technology has a clue and can make his own decisions based on experience. this is not a thread about the Avistar, but a High-performance 35% aerobatic plane.

However...
The hs-55 and hs-81 for throtle? This servos are a little underkill (I mean come on!) this servos struggle with my foamie, strip gears like crazy and you use them for your big gas planes?

I believe they may handle the voltage, but I don't think they can handle the vibration at all. Moreover, I would not want to be around a 100cc airplane with a micro servo for throttle. (DANGEROUS)
Actually, those darn micro servo's are super fast at this voltage, I started with them in 60 sized planes, and will quit when they start giving me trouble. I have stood under many a plane hovering down to touch the rudder with a micro servo on the throttle. I'm still alive afer all these years, and I am not just a lucky guy.

I was hoping to be on subject. If you got the plane from Gene, he has always been my hero when it comes to weight saving. I might build cool things for a living, but my models is where I get push the envelope, which eventually transfers to full scale when it proves itself. If you keep it KISS on this, or any other plane, you will be flying for years with happyness.

Lite will always fly right. I am very excited about this ARF, a good friend of mine is getting one for his first 35% i think I am more excited that he is. If I wasn't going to 40%, this is the plane that I would buy!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Darrinc

ORIGINAL: JLS

When installing the control horns, do you recommend gorilla glue or epoxy? Also, does anyone know a thread or source of information that explains the geometry of why the inner aileron control horn is different than the outer? Considering no instruction manual, is there anything I need to know before putting these control horns in?

Just my personal opinion as a long time composites guy, I would use epoxy/microballoons for the control horns
Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Precision Aerobatics

Yes I recommend using only epoxy for the hinges installation and using silicone grease on the hinges joints

First glue the hinges to the wing or stab panel (to make sure the angle is correct deflect the hinges and check for 90 degrees to the hinge/bevel line, if its not 90 degrees adjust it to be)

Then after it dries, glue the control surfaces and remember to check for max deflection

Also make sure first to use iron over the hinge lines before the hinges installation. I always prefer to use soldering iron to clear the hinges hole. Make sure no covering pieces left inside the hinges holes.

Shaun
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Well, I hestitated just long enough to be SOL on the current supply of 35% Extras from troybuiltmodels... I really wanted to get a flight report before commiting the $$$, but now wish I had placed my order...

Shaun, when is the next shipment of 35% Extras going to be available in the USA???

Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

I too was seriously considering one of these babies. But, waiting for a flight report is not a bad idea. If the first run has success, then you're really not out anything except for not being the first one on the block to have one. Plus, you can get a lot of good ideas on the build while waiting for the second lot.

Keep this thread going and update us late comers on the progress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.