Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Shipping a Large Plane ??????

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Shipping a Large Plane ??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 PM
C_Heath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a Large Plane ??????

Help, I just recently purchased a fully assembled 4 star 120 from a guy in ohio on Ebay. It has an 81" wing span and is almost 70 inches long. He has checked around and said that it would cost $200 to ship it. I cannot see this. Can anyone help me as far as a place to ship this plane. I bought a good deal in this plane in ARF but I could see about $50 to ship it but no more. Wouldnt be any use.

Please help, SIG does not make the 120 in an ARF and I really dont want to build it just yet.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Shipping a Large Plane ??????

Bus. Most bus lines can ship anything up to 100" long. Get Mailboxes, Etc. to pack it for you.

BTW, he should have specified exact shipping charges to your ZIP BEFORE you bid. You could probably get out of the contract with that, if you want to.

Dr.1
Old 11-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Dr1Driver

PS The cost won't be anything near $200, either.

Dr.1
Old 11-01-2005, 06:30 PM
C_Heath

Yes, he will let me out of the contract, but I want this plane.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:43 PM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

Tell him to use Greyhound package express. If he where to ship a 82" 20lb box from Miami to Alaska to would only cost $51.40

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/scripts...s/gpxStep3.asp
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 AM
Dr1Driver

Then go Greyhound. As I mentioned, tell him to pack it using Mailboxes, Etc. Among other things, they guaranteee their packaging.

Dr.1
Old 11-02-2005, 08:12 AM
RK-Aircraft

Yes, I have used mailboxes etc and they are very good at packaging.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:37 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Bus. Most bus lines can ship anything up to 100" long. Get Mailboxes, Etc. to pack it for you.
The max dimensions for Greyhound is 30 X 47 X 82 so you won't be able to have him ship it that way. You should be able to ship it by UPS/Fedex if you ship it is separate boxes. Max length for UPS and Fedex is 108", but you have to keep in mind the total size allowed, which is 165" - length + girth. You're probably talking at least $60 or so shipping charges, plus if Mailboxes pack it you can add on another $50+.

FYI, for future reference, I have a crating and shipping how-to I wrote a while back and just updated with the current shpping sizes for the common carriers and a couple of new packing methods, but they haven't updated it on RCU yet.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:59 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Try Forward Air, too.

They don't do door to door, they are station to station. If the seller and you each have a station nearby, it might be a good alternative.

Be advised, packaging must be VERY good. They are volume freight handlers. The package must be good and well marked. I have received through them and it was fine, but I did see that boxes and crates get handled like boxes and crates - forklifted, stacked, etc.

They will observe "FRAGILE" and "This Side Up" type markings if they're visible. It's up to the packager to see that all necessary labels are there and visible. A "Don't place at bottom of stack" label would also be advisable. Best thing to do is to call them and ask how to handle a model airplane shipment. They'll tell you.

Also, document the package condition and contents condition upon delivery to them in case a claim needs to be made.

BobbyG

Old 11-02-2005, 11:12 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: BobbyGee

Try Forward Air, too.

They don't do door to door, they are station to station. If the seller and you each have a station nearby, it might be a good alternative.

Be advised, packaging must be VERY good. They are volume freight handlers. The package must be good and well marked. I have received through them and it was fine, but I did see that boxes and crates get handled like boxes and crates - forklifted, stacked, etc.

They will observe "FRAGILE" and "This Side Up" type markings if they're visible. It's up to the packager to see that all necessary labels are there and visible. A "Don't place at bottom of stack" label would also be advisable. Best thing to do is to call them and ask how to handle a model airplane shipment. They'll tell you.

Also, document the package condition and contents condition upon delivery to them in case a claim needs to be made.

BobbyG

I agree, Forward Air is great for giant planes that can justify that type of expense, but you're talking $70-$100 for crate materials, and probably $100 to ship. Since you can't see the updated article I wrote on this, and the picture of it, the best thing to do (least expensive and best chance of no damage) is to build your own cardboard boxes and let it "float" in styrofoam peanuts. This is probably what Mailboxes would do, but as I said, it's going to cost you a bunch if they have to do it. I've shipped multiple 33% planes like this through UPS and Fedex with no damage, but it is always a crap shoot with them, so make sure if someone else packs it, you provide as much distance from the sides as possible. I've also received really giant cardboard "crates" shipped this way from overseas with no damage.

>>"Don't place at bottom of stack"

FYI, the marking they expect for this is "TOP LOAD ONLY".
Old 11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
RK-Aircraft

He should be able to get the whole thing in those dimension. The wing will be tight and he'll have to remove the landing gear, but it can be done.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Dr1Driver

The max dimensions for Greyhound is 30 X 47 X 82

They must have changed it. I shipped a plane a few years back, and they told me up to 100".

Dr.1
Old 11-02-2005, 01:08 PM
C_Heath

nope its 82 now
Old 11-09-2005, 04:05 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Check this tread out for building and shipping a large model.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=241
Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 AM
dioncuda

How much gas would it take to go get it?
Might be cheaper just to drive it.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:57 PM
TorkRollN32

it maybe a little late to help you out but i work at a UPS Store here in harrisburg Pa..it is not unreasonable to brreak the 110 dollar mark trying to ship something of that size.... you have to custom make a box which takes time and plus the boxex arent that cheap then you ahve to use bubble wrap and peanuts... but 200 dollars is quite a bit.. i think that maybe a little over priced ..... but it all depends on A: the weight B: the size of the box C: the distance it is going to be shipped. plus if they are as careful at packing as we are here that box should be able to withstand a 6 FOOT DROP with out anything inside breaking....PM if you have any questions..