Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

28% Velox Revolution II ARF - Weight

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

28% Velox Revolution II ARF - Weight

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
crazy4rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28% Velox Revolution II ARF - Weight

I just finished putting together my 28% Velox ARF. I always try to build light as possible. I used feather weight wheels, the lightest servos I could find without sacrificing torque (2 at 2 oz, 2 at 1.3 oz and 1 at 2.2 oz), a single .9 oz throttle servo - no choke servo, a Taurus 4.2 engine (4 lbs with muffler and ignition) 16oz fuel tank, 1100ma NiCD ignition and 2700ms NiMH radio batts, 3 oz pilot. My final weight turned out to be 17lbs.

I was shooting for 16 lbs at most. I don't know where I went wrong, or maybe my ARF just had some heavy wood.

What's everyone else with this ARF getting for final weight?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Aerotech

Default RE: 28% Velox Revolution II ARF - Weight

Hello,

For the most part. Folks in here have posted under 16lbs. The only difference is maybe a little heaver wood and our finished weights and others were using Lipos for batterys. When you fly it let me know if I can help with any setup questions.

Thanks
John
Old 11-08-2005, 09:18 AM
crazy4rc

ORIGINAL: Aerotech

Hello,

For the most part. Folks in here have posted under 16lbs. The only difference is maybe a little heaver wood and our finished weights and others were using Lipos for batterys. When you fly it let me know if I can help with any setup questions.

Thanks
John
I considered the batteries, but they don't seam like they would make that big a difference looking at what people seam to be using. what are you using Jonh in your proto? With 2400mha+ Lipos plus the 3 oz of regulators it seams like it's pretty close to my 10oz of batteries.

Oh well, shut up and go fly!!!! Right?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:14 AM
anthonymio

I would not worry too much about the weight. My Velox II came out at 16.8 lbs, with a DA50 and slimline pitts up front and lipos and regulators for both the servos and ignition. Also, I have a smartfly optical cut-off and a rather heavy Cajun RC pilot. The DA50 is still being broken-in, 6 flights so far and running rich, however, there is plenty of power. The DA will do an upline snap and pull her up some more until I nose her over. I haven't tried any hovers or torque rolls since the engine is still relatively new. Last weekend I flew with an EF Yak 54 with a DA50 and pipe and she kept up with the Yak without a problem. The YAK weighed just under 16 lbs.

This is a great airplane - very neutral and the slight weight penalty does not seem to bother it much. Landings can be done hands off. With a little wind on the nose you can actually travel a few inches above the runway nose-up and touch down the tail wheel first. The only con is getting used to the long nose. The guys at the field call it the "shnoz".

Here are a couple of pics of mine.

Tony M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74479.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	351188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61811.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	351189  
Old 12-28-2005, 05:17 PM
FX4L2CX
My Feedback: (10)

Hello,
I just purchased one of these birds myself from Chief...
Does anyone know what the CG is?..The manual that I downloaded was a little fuzzy.
I will be putting a Brison 3.2 with a slimline pitts muffler and maybe a Bolly 22x8 or 21x10 wood.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Aerotech

Hello,

With the wings on a good starting point will be 5 1/4" back off the LE of the wing..

Thanks

John
Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 PM
FX4L2CX
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks John...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:56 PM
midnightdreamersrc
My Feedback: (7)

fx4l2cx, i have mine balanced right on the wing tube and in inverted flight it takes just a touch of down to make it fly level. i have a BME 50cc in mine but dont know the weight. i will weigh it this weekend and post the weight.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:46 AM
midnightdreamersrc
My Feedback: (7)

alright guys i weighted the velox last weekend and i got it in at 15.5 lbs. id say that preety light for this plane. i talked to john and thats what he said his prototype plane came out to be so it can be done.