Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Powerplant for the E-flite ultimate FX

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Powerplant for the E-flite ultimate FX

Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Powerplant for the E-flite ultimate FX

George,
I can't seem to pick the right powerplants for these little electrics!
I want your opinion on a rediculous powerplant for the E-flite Ultimate FX. I know Horizon recommends the park 370 inrunner on a 1320 3-cell for a "high powered" setup, bu is it really like a 2:1 thrust/weight ratio?
I must say that I live at 6500 feet and, although the elevation shouldn't play havok on an electric, it sure does a number on prop effectiveness!
To give you an idea, I have the e-flite Yak at 14.5 oz with a TP1320 3 cell, AXI 2212/34 and PHX-25 esc and it barely hovers, regardless of prop selections anywhere from a 10X4.7 to a 12X6. Should this have good performance at sea level, or did I just make the wrong powerplant choice?
Without turning the ultimate into a tank, what E-flite (or other) powerplant setup do you recommend?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 PM
hinsonc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powerplant for the E-flite ultimate FX

I had the ultimate with a Himax 2816-890 and 3cell 1000 mah lipo, and it flew great. Extremely powerful and not too heavy on the wings. Though the increased weight made it a little nose heavy, I mounted the rudder servo on the exterior back closer to the rudder. After that it flew great. Amazingly powerful! In fact I ended up propping it down from and 11x4.7 to a 10x4.7 and it was still ridiculously powerful. Less than half throttle hover.
This was all done at sea level in florida though.