Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1st Giant scale Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:12 PM
rcpilot43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Giant scale Need help

I am building a stinson reliant, It says not to under power it or over power it. It recommends a 25cc - 35cc gas or nitro 1.08 - 1.60 twin. But I have been told that a 1.80 - 2.10 or 33cc - 45cc motor works best. I would like to know from someone that has built a stinson or knows about it to tell me what would work best. This is my first giant scale project and dont want to screw up an expencsive plane. Any feed back would be helpful. Thanks, RCpilot43
Old 12-07-2005, 02:17 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: 1st Giant scale Need help

Well you really don't want to underpower it. But unless you hang a way big gasser on it it would be hard to overpower it. Overpower is by far better than underpower. So go with more power. You can always powerback after take-off.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
shag555

Do your research and go with the lightest, but most cc motor you can afford. You want the most power but still not effect wing loading. If you're buying from LHS, go there and compare engines.

MPB
Old 12-07-2005, 05:18 PM
peter1b1

I have a ACON Nwest 108" Stinson Reliant with an OS Twin 240 powering it, it is way over powered but handles it with ease. It was set up for glider towing so thats the reason for the 240 and not the 120-160 that was recommended.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
rcpilot43

That is one of the reasons I bought the stinson (glider towing) But I've had a few people tell me that with a big motor you will pull apart at at the nose, or rip off the wings. I'm looking at a 42cc fuji imvac. I think that will give me the power i need. Thanks for help.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you build the firewall correctly and pin it with dowels or bamboo scewers, it will not pull out under normal operation. Use plenty of tri-stock.

You don't HAVE to use full throttle. But, that extra power is nice if you get into trouble or if you come across a particularly big/heavy glider.

Just manage your left thumb. IMAC guys and 3D guys manage the throttle almost constantly. Those planes have engines that are capable of ripping the firewall out after repeated full throttle runs. But those guys rarely loose a firewall because they are not stupid with the throttle stick. You can rip the firewall out if you are doing full throttle take-offs, and flying the plane around at full throttle. But, if your sensible with that power--you won't have to worry.

I've ripped the firewall out of a 40 size 3D plane before. And it was my own darn fault. I had a .75 engine on the nose of a 40 size plane. It would take off at less than 1/4 throttle and hover at 1/2 throttle. I NEVER used full throttle unless the nose was pointed up and even then --I would back off on the throttle after 2 or 3 seconds. I ripped the firewall out when I decided to try a full throttle take-off one day. I just got greedy with the left stick and it cost me. Lesson learned.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:25 PM
rcpilot43

I found a fugi imvac 32b. Its a 32cc motor that should work very well with this plane. I will let you know how well in a month or so.