Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

bterry i think you will enjoy it more than a 50cc plane, it performed better than my 50's anyway

i had a few emails with al at jtec, sent him some pics of my muffler and he said it looked like the materail around the weld area failed, my buddy is supposed to let me know if he can fix it this weekend, jtec is away for a week now for the nall, so if my friend is no luck, i need to wait to place my order[&o], but al gave me dimensions and weights, the large volume is pratically identical to mine, so it should fit right in with no more cuts to cowl and no cg adjustments, just waiting on my buddy 1st
Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Ih82crash

bterry you wont be sorry. I have probably about 80 or so fkights on my yak now and still love it. I know you are son supposed to fall in love with your plane, but it flies so very nice and makes me look better than I am. If or wather when she goes in, I will be so sad that I wiill buy another one that same day. It is hands down the best plane I've ever had.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM
diamondave

well i got some more info from mike regarding the muffler deal, turns out it wasnt jmb giving me the hard time, its a tbm poilicy, not sure if its cause i bought it from rcs before tbm took over? curious if you bought one now from tbm direct what theyd do if it fails 2 months from now, either way its with my buddy now to fix it, if for some reason the material is too week and stressed and it doenst hold i will get the jtec one next time for sure, my buddy has the ability to fix it, he built his own mufflers from scratch for his da 170, i think its a matter of how much time and material he wants to spend on me, i should get it back saturday, thats the plan now anyway
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 AM
diamondave

got my muffler fixed up, $25 and he will stand by the work, if it breaks again(other than a crash, haha) he will fix it for free, he added a piece that should help out as well, all in all a good deal if you ask me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36557.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1200081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38386.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1200082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19768.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1200083  
Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that isn't going to be breaking anytime soon.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM
diamondave

got 4-5 flights today, so far so good
Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Dave,

That muffler will work perfectly now. The problem is (was) the downtubes oscillate and the thin material of themain chamber must absorb the forces. Eventually is just failed. The cross brace he installed will make the muffler bulletproof. I don't know why more manfacturers don't install bracing like that. It would make the muffler significantly stronger for a minimal weight and production time increase. Maybe they just think it is ugly...

On my plane, I installed the engine and installed the servos. I am having a problem with the rudder as I have a straight servo arm (JR aluminum triple-clamping arm, had it on hand) but the attachment point on the rudder horn is nearly a half-inch aft of the hinge line. This leads to an unbelievable amount of slack in the rudder cables when the rudder deflects. i honestly believe the plane is unflyable in this condition. I have set up rudder cables many times and if the offsets match the cables will stay taut (i.e. connection points at the servo and at the rudder control horn are set an equivalent distance aft of the plane of the pivot - servo centerline and hinge line).

I am going to either try to find replacement control horns (just need the plastic "flag" part) like the Dubro heavy-duty setup to put the attachment point directly at the hinge line, or if forced to I will just get a new offset servo arm (likely an SWB). Anybody have comments regarding the rudder pull-pull?

Brett

**edit** Alternatively, does anybody know where I can get an offset horn like the one that comes with the plane? I purchased my plane used and the rudder horn (that bolts to the servo arm) wasn't included. Ihave used them beforeand they were easy to setup - just match the offset and drill a mounting hole. I have seen pictures of these (either stamped aluminum or steel or carbon fiber) but now can't remember where to buy them.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
diamondave

i had to redo my pull pull at the rudder side cause i messed up some stuff, had geometry wrong, got the offset arm and bought a new rudder horn thingy, had the threaded shaft with the cones that go up against the rudder, then i matched it to the arm offset, worked good after that, plus you cross the cables on this one

i like the muffler like that, even if its ugly, you cant see the weld or plate with the cowl on, i personally dont think its ugly anyway, im just glad he saved me lots of $$ and might have still had him reenforce a new one anyway

Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
diamondave

i have 2 of those aluminum arms that come with the plane, one from a 30% that i had a while back, i didnt use it this time, got the swb offset arm and i like it, there is a round servo horn glued and screwed on the original one if you want it you can take it apart if the horn doesnt work with your servo, www.acehobby.com  sells the planes now, not sure if they sell parts like that, maybe an entire rudder pull pull set up even, pm me if you want the one i have, we can work something out, i have no plans to use either one of the 2 i have
Old 05-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a few more flights on mine and I'm very pleased with the way the plane tracks in the air. I'm still getting use to the timing on the 3D stuf, but for pattern, it is very comfortable as is. I still can't believe how slow this thing lands!!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Patto

I'm going to be giving my Yak a break, since it is in dire need of some cosmetic assistance, and trying out a TT TOC Extra 260 of the same size.  I am going to have to take all of the components out of my poor little Yak.  I'll let you know what I think of the flight performance in comparison.  I can't imagine anything flying as well as this Yak, but who knows?  Either way, I'll still monitor this thread.

-Pat

Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: Steve

Got a few more flights on mine and I'm very pleased with the way the plane tracks in the air. I'm still getting use to the timing on the 3D stuf, but for pattern, it is very comfortable as is. I still can't believe how slow this thing lands!!
yeh im really diggin this thing too, i love my ef110 yak but then i fly this and its like a hot rod in comparison, ie...is sleaker and faster, and pulls out much quicker, its like a ferrari or something compared to a ....., maybe a bmw 5 series,beautiful and graceful but still a hellofa performer,not sure how to put it, but this one is a blast to fly either way.....
Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM
diamondave

well that muffler i repaired broke 2 more times, kept breaking at a different point from the weld, so i give up, will call jtec monday i guess and give that a try...i double checked my balance on prop, even had others watch while running on the ground, she is smooth as silk through the entire rpm range, a tad shaky at idle, but by no means out of the orinary, i guess it was just bad material or something....
Old 06-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Patto

That's weird.  Did you have a difficult time getting the bolts to tighten down?  I'm wondering if it was loosening up in flight and then shaking apart.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 PM
diamondave

no in fact, it went on very smoothly, even the bolt for the bracket on the far side slid right in, no binding or anything, and i checked the bolts after the 1st flight while still hot, they both were tight, no leaks at the port either so it was sealed just fine, im not sure what the deal is with that one, i certainly wouldnt buy another one, i will try jtec and see what happens, its hard to say until i get it but the jtec looks like maybe different material, mine almost seems like a casting and it was solder welded or what ever they call that when they "dip" it, the jtec looks more like pieces externally welded together, if that makes any sense, anyway i emailed jtec already and will call monday morning...
Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 PM
diamondave

well i finally got a jtec muffler, i could feel the difference, felt more "beefy", my old one i could actually compress the can with my bare hands, this one is sturdier, flew it sunday, its a bit quieter but still seems to have the same performance, im happy with it for sure....
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Patto

'bout time you were happy with your freakin' muffler!!!  =)

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
diamondave

yeh really, i didnt even tell the entire story either, jmb actually eventually ended up sending me another muffler finally for free, so the 1st broke and broke again after welded, i put the brand new one on, look at pics below, literally 3 flights!!!!! rediculous, wasnt even going to try and weld this one, i could squeeze the can with my hands and it would compress, just junk all around, the jtec lasted all day sunday....seems alot sturdier

Name:	Rp42366.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1223249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91964.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1223250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88590.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1223251  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
customjrod
My Feedback: (2)

P-DIDDY how did the 33% 260 fly.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Patto

ORIGINAL: customjrod

P-DIDDY how did the 33% 260 fly.
Oh, it flew pretty nice after I took care of some issues such as proper CG, radio going into fail-safe at times, and a few other minor details.

It's a work in progress, but overall it flies pretty nice. It has a much faster roll rate than my Yak and carries speed better. It also seems easier to hover and torque roll in the Extra. However, it does have a slight tip stall tendency when you give just the right amount of up elevator. The Yak presents a little bigger/better than the 260.

Overall, it's really a close call which is better, but since I'm flying the Extra right now, I'll just go with that one... =) My Yak will be back after it gets some cosmetic assistance and new components.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
diamondave

any opinions on how this biela looks? its my buddies 27-10 he lent me just to see how it looks, id get a 26-10 if i liked it, i have one for my other yak in black and yellow and its so wide id have to modify my backplate just to get it on there, hits the backside bolt hole, anyway im using a mej 26-10 and im happy with the way it performs, just wanted some opinions if it would be worth the time and money just to change the looks??

Name:	Us52645.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	1253811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85418.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	1253812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75908.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	1253813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80008.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	1253814  
Old 08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Dave, buy it!!!...call it a Tuedsay or Saturday prop depending on how you like it....That way every time you go out to the field people will have to look at your plane to see what day it is.

Just remember you can't sell your spares to me any longer
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Patto

I like it!!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
diamondave

yeh rich i thought of that...im sure i could sell a mej 26-10 on rcu fairly easy, get some of the money back for the biela, i may redrill the other biela i bought for the big yak, its black and yellow but the same size, so i could see exactly how it will perform then too, these bielas are wider than the mej and the vess i have, i dropped a couple hundred rpm on the 100cc going from the mej to the biela, wierd thing was it seemed to fly about the same, strange bieng less rpm i thought...
Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Dave,

I assume that is your EF Yak next to the 33%. That thing is HUGE in comparison. I was looking at getting one of those down teh road but honestly the 33% barely fits in my garage as it is.

The Biela is a higher loading prop than the Mejz (which is similar to an APC in terms of load). Therefore it will give you more effective "power" (thrust actually) at a lower RPM.

One thing to keep in mind, the Biela is hollow with a solid root and can crack easily on a grass runway (seen it happen a few times) while the Mejz is a bit more durable. Of course I highly doubt you are flying from any grass runways in AZ, so that point is moot in your case! Be sure it check it carefully if you ever have a prop strike.

One big benefit of the Biela, besides the fact it looks fabulous IMO, is it is SO light that is really spins up fast and is very responsive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.