Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
voodoo28
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

go figure.....the kit comes with a spinner but no tail wheel....but overall i am very impressed with the plane..does anyone know when the manual might be available?.....
Old 01-24-2006, 09:07 PM
cope

I think the guy that is doing the manual is waiting on the engine to finish.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:29 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcaviator-RCU

ORIGINAL: voodoo28

ok guys..i got my 33% yak today...everything came in perfect condition..but the only thing i noticed that is not included is a tail gear & wheel. Is everyone else missing this or did mine come missing?

Peter
Peter,

My understanding is that it's not included.
I didn't get one either, I'm going to buy a graphite tailwheel assembly from TBM. they have a nice one for 29.00

john
Old 01-25-2006, 07:31 AM
rcaviator-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

ORIGINAL: rcaviator-RCU

ORIGINAL: voodoo28

ok guys..i got my 33% yak today...everything came in perfect condition..but the only thing i noticed that is not included is a tail gear & wheel. Is everyone else missing this or did mine come missing?

Peter
Peter,

My understanding is that it's not included.
I didn't get one either, I'm going to buy a graphite tailwheel assembly from TBM. they have a nice one for 29.00

john
If you haven't looked already, you may want to pick up new main wheels too. Mine measure 4.5", I could make them work but will buy some 3.5 - 4" ones instead. The ones that come with the plane are nice and light, just a little large for the pants.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sammy has just starting producing his own line of CF tailwheels which should be in the states by this spring. Not sure he will include them in future kits, but do believe he will offer them as a low cost upgrade to customers wanting one. He is also working on an accessory line including wingbags, etc. Glad to see so many positive posts on this airframe. Keep em comming! Craig
Old 01-25-2006, 05:11 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: cbk07

Sammy has just starting producing his own line of CF tailwheels which should be in the states by this spring. Not sure he will include them in future kits, but do believe he will offer them as a low cost upgrade to customers wanting one. He is also working on an accessory line including wingbags, etc. Glad to see so many positive posts on this airframe. Keep em comming! Craig
To your knowledge does he have intentions of producing Carbon fiber/composite gear, and CF wing and stab tube?

John
Old 01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Tried to fit the Yak into my 4-runner yesterday, and it wouldn't fit unless I move the drivers
seat up so far that I am positioned in the front seat like a sardine. However, if I remove the
right stab it should work. I hate removing stabs, but unless I get a larger vehicle or small
trailer I have no other choice.

Greg
Old 01-26-2006, 10:32 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Columbo

Tried to fit the Yak into my 4-runner yesterday, and it wouldn't fit unless I move the drivers
seat up so far that I am positioned in the front seat like a sardine. However, if I remove the
right stab it should work. I hate removing stabs, but unless I get a larger vehicle or small
trailer I have no other choice.

Greg

Greg, I imagine your removing one stab and then pushing the passenger seat all the way foreword?
I'm going to have the same problem, I'm thinking of buying a small trailer only 30" high

john
Old 01-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Columbo

John,

What vehicle do you have?

Greg
Old 01-26-2006, 11:07 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Columbo

John,

What vehicle do you have?

Greg
Honda Element
Old 01-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Columbo

The element is a little smaller than the 4-runner, so you will definitely need to
remove at least 1 stab and maybe the spinner.

Greg
Old 01-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Columbo

I plan to test run the engine tomorrow and maybe get a test flight in by Monday
or Tuesday.

Greg
Old 01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
erjpilot
My Feedback: (4)

I received my Yak from Chief. The crate was damaged somewhat, but all the contents are fine. This is a really nice airplane. I normally build all of my planes, but this thing is pretty darn nice, craftsmenship wise. There is definitely some weight savings to be had here over the standard kit components. The wing tube is HEAVY! It is almost 6 oz. heavier than my 1.5" carbon fiber wing tube. Unfortunately the carbon fiber tube is just a hair too large diameter wise. Hopefully somebody, maybe Troybuilt, will find a carbon wing tube that will fit. The main wheels are the next to go. I will replace them with 3.5" Kavan wheels. Not sure of the weight savings here, but there will be some. The wheels that come with the plane are way to large. Carbon fiber main landing gear would be the next choice or just a quality aluminum gear possibly from TNT. The gear that comes with it seems heavy and somewhat weak. I am going to start off using the stock gear though. Last thing is to ditch the boat anchor of a spinner that comes with the plane. I ordered a Pete carbon fiber spinner from Chief, but they are currently out of stock. Several ounces can be saved here. I will probably go with one of the tailwheel assemblies from RC Blimp Productions. They have titanium setups that are super light. I am going to use a canister setup from RCShowcase on my ZDZ 80 RV so I am hoping to offset some of the added weight from the canister. I am fairly confident that I will be able to do so with the above mods. A little here, a little there and before you know it you have saved a pound or more.
Travis
Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
jrjohn

Travis, the main wing tube is 13.5 OZ TBM will have one available in a few months. it's a metric size 38 mm (just under 1.5 inches) We can expect a 7oz savings.

Landing gear is 13.9 oz Most of the carbon gears for planes that size are coming in at about 9oz. so it looks like we can save another 5oz there. TBM is working on this too.

Spinner, what were they thinking. Knock 25 bucks off the cost of the kit (and 7.2oz) Let us buy our own carbon spinner that weighs 2.2 ounces (3 1/2 inch) Savings is another 5 oz.

Stab tube is 2.2 oz. carbon fiber will be 1 oz. Saving 1.2 oz in the rear will make ballancing the plane a lot easier up front. Another TBM project.

My compliments on the tires. only 5.6 ounces. Actually very lite for their size. Wish they were about 3/4 inch smaller. I'll probably use a lite foam tire and save about 3oz. However you have to keep the plane elevated when not in use or the foam developes a big flat spot.

as far as the rest of the equipment, I'll probably use titanium linkage. Maybe if I spent 30 bucks I can save another ounce or two.

Next is that nicely done hatch built for two. I'll gut it to resemble the EF yak. (you'll be able to see the inside of the plane, no pilot) I don't fly IMAC. to boring for me. Never had a pilot in my plane either. Does anybody really that the little plastic guy is flying the plane?? I'm guessing there is 2 oz of fat to cut there.

Remove your pants (wheel pants) and you will drop another 4.5 oz

So all in all, it looks like we can save about 28 oz. Not bad! it's nearly two pounds.

john
Old 01-26-2006, 02:13 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Anyone know how wide the cowls are on the 35% yaks?? Mine will be here next week. got a DA 100 waiting.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: SLINGSHOT-RCU

Anyone know how wide the cowls are on the 35% yaks?? Mine will be here next week. got a DA 100 waiting.
It's 12 15/16" ID
Old 01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

Well I just got started on the Yak. My wife is looking at me like I'm going to be shipped out to sea. I told her it's an ARF not a kit, still got the same look. For the guys that are almost done what would you have done different or didn't do that you wish you did?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

I ordered one of the orange ones from AM yesterday. Got a ZDZ 80RV waiting to be hung on it. I've been looking a long time for a true 80cc plane with a decent wing area, this loks to be the plane.

Hey Columbo, good luck on the maiden.

Jamie
Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM
cope

Greg, looks like you will be the first to get it up in the air, what did you use for starting points on throws for low and high rates? Good luck on your first flight. Brian
Old 01-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Columbo

Thanks Jamie, I will need it. I haven't flown in a month. You won't be dissappointed with the plane.

Hey Brian,

I plan to use the standard low rates of 20 degrees on the elevators, 25 on the ailerons. On high
rates, I have about 40 degrees on the elevators and ailerons. On rudder I generally use a constant
rate of about 40 degrees. I fly mostly 3D. If I get more into IMAC, I will also include a lower rate
on the rudder.

Greg
Old 01-27-2006, 09:27 PM
cope

Thanks Greg, I have everything done except motor, Im still waiting on my 3w and Fromecos, weather up here has been pretty good so far, by the time I finish we will probally have snow again . cant wait to hear your flight report, good luck. Brian
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Columbo

Here are a few more pictures of the engine area and fuel tank and also a picture of the
finished plane without the cowl. I still haven't painted the cowl. A couple important things
to remember are:

1. Use a non-metallic rod connecting the throttle servo arm to the throttle
linkage on the carburetor.

2. Wrap the wire that connects the spark plug with the ignition with a plastic
wrap that can be picked up from radio shack.

3. Keep the distance between ignition components and receiver components at least
4 inches apart.

4. Secure all wires with clips or strong tape so that they won't move around too much.

Most people who fly giant scale know these things already, but this is just a reminder.
Can anyone think of anything else?

I did redrill the firewall. My initial engine placement was too low and didn't center in the
cowl. Now it centers perfectly.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80084.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	396656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89104.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	396657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43533.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	396658  
Old 01-27-2006, 09:36 PM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

I noticed your using the H9 pro links, did you have to use any of those right and left threaded ball links? And are you using the stock control horns? I'm thinking about up grading all that stuff but don't know for sure on what to get, can you help me? be specific please. Thanks, RV
Old 01-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Columbo

I used the stock hardware in most places except for the elevator. The reason I didn't
use it on the elevator is because I had some titanium links and dubro hardware lying
around, and I figured might as well make use of those.

Greg
Old 01-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Columbo

I also used a heavier rudder cable.

Greg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.