Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

prop reamer for my BME shaft?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

prop reamer for my BME shaft?

Old 01-10-2006, 09:19 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default prop reamer for my BME shaft?

I have the BME 110, which has a 7/16" shaft at the base. I don't want to simply drill it, as that's too much room for error. Also, to my knowledge, most model airplane reamers only go to 3/8" or 10mm. Where can I find a (perhaps commercially available) reamer that will go from 3/8" to 7/16"????
Old 01-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: prop reamer for my BME shaft?

Nick,
I found one at Home Depot, if I remember corectly. It is a step reamer.
I also remember doing a search online and finding a few that would work.

Jim
Old 01-10-2006, 02:17 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMT4NO=3825133 (my search result).

You can get reamers from these guys in many sizes. I bought one to ream out 12mm on my Moki engines. It was around $17 but I bought it at work, no shipping. It's a good quality reamer. Maybe the hardware store has them too.

Joe
Old 01-10-2006, 05:32 PM
bodywerks

Thanks, guys! Thanks Jim...trying to get everything ready for when the 260 arrives!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

I bought my reamer at Sears for around $9.00. I found it on their website and they had it in the store even though the site said it wasn't. It is not a craftsmen brand. It is in the tool section where near the "other brand" small hand tools and measuring equipment.

Like this: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00940884000
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

There is a problem with reamers, and very accurate-boring of our precious wooden or carbon high$$ props.... or maybe it's just me...
When I counter-bore with the exact diameter bit required, it ends up being PRECISE. And, of course, so is the prop adapter/shaft/stud... so... I have this perfectly drilled prop that ends up being too tight to force on.

So out comes the carbide dremel bit, anyway....it's usually just a few 10 thous needed, but I've had it happen so much, that NOW I just balance the prop AFTER I've made my best shaft fit.

This may not be a very good approach, but I've not heard solutions to real precise drilling....Open to ideas, as I have a couple new props that need to be drilled, and would like to know of a better way.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

I believe the only way to really be PRECISE is to have the MANUFACTURER BORE the HOLE to the CORRECT size BEFORE it is MACHINED.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:40 PM
BME

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, we will ream your props at no charge other than shipping costs if you need us to. New 110's and 55's come with 10mm prop hubs.

Keith
BME
Old 01-11-2006, 09:41 AM
bodywerks

How new??? My 110 is only a couple months old... and never ran.

Anyway, I went the flinstone method on this prop. I tried Home Depot and no luck, and I was NOT looking for a tapered reamer - what's the point? I also thought the prop was origionally 3/8", but was wrong. Finding a 7/16" reamer with a 10mm pilot shaft would be hard, to say the least, so I just set the prop up on the drillpress, mounted a 10mm diameter item into the chuck (in the form of a Stanley 1/4" drive 1/4" deep socket) and lined it up with the hole in the prop and secured the prop, then used my unibit to cut a 7/16" hole, about 2/3 as deep as it needed to be and just press-fit the prop on the engine the rest of the way. If it's off, it's in the thousandths of an inch, but it looks pretty darn true and straight...
Next time, I will just have it done, though!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 AM
bobknudsen

Most props and spinners have 10 mm holes, tool supply stores have or can get pilot drills.You can get what ever size drill and what ever size pilot you wood like. The pilot is held in with a set screw. You need a 7/16 drill and a 10 mm pilot. When i got mine they didn't have a 10 mm pilot so i got the next size bigger and had a friend turn it down.
BIG BOB