Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Vess Props

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
RC Larry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Vess Props

Hey guys. You need to check this thread out on the new Vess Prop. Running a pre-production version myself, and its AWESOME to say the least. They'll be available soon ( early March). By the time Joe Nall hits, these things will be the rave. I'll put it this way. BOLT-ON HORSE POWER!

[link=http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6376#post6376]Awesome new prop![/link]

Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vess Props

Looks interesting. RC-Larry - are you in any way affiliated with Vess Aero?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I'm waiting anxiously... have been for some time. I love paradigm shifts.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:12 PM
RC Larry-RCU

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

DM
Not really. Robert Vess and I have been good friends for several years, and we frequently travel in convoy with other club members about every weekend to fly-ins all over NC, and SC. Through the years, Iv'e watched Robert contribute a great deal to the modeling industry. Mostly, with his knowledge of airfoils and composite constructions. I can tell you this, his airfoils are used on a large number of major model manufactures. Especially in the jet industry. He also designed many of the airfoils used in compitition fun fly planes, that still hold records today. Currently he's knee deep in GRS (giant scale racing) and working on prop designs for that as well. This guy is on the up & up, and really knows his stuff. If you read my post on page 4 of the link, you'll get my input. This prop really performs, and will sell itself among modelers soon. Am I affiliated? No, but I COULD use a high paying job when he starts hiring!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Larry, I've started on my Ultimate. Should have it flying by spring. Robert said I could get a prop if I had something flying. Looks like I missed the testing phase. Guess I'll have to buy one now.[] My old BME-100 will need all the help it can get on this plane. it's BIG!!

Later Bud, from a member of the NC Traveling Circus
Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DM
Not really. Robert Vess and I have been good friends for several years, and we frequently travel in convoy with other club members about every weekend to fly-ins all over NC, and SC. Through the years, Iv'e watched Robert contribute a great deal to the modeling industry. Mostly, with his knowledge of airfoils and composite constructions. I can tell you this, his airfoils are used on a large number of major model manufactures. Especially in the jet industry. He also designed many of the airfoils used in compitition fun fly planes, that still hold records today. Currently he's knee deep in GRS (giant scale racing) and working on prop designs for that as well. This guy is on the up & up, and really knows his stuff.
understatement--(I'll be waiting in line to get mine.)
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do these props have any similarity to the Scimitar props that Master Airscrew makes?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think they are pretty much the same thing.... <grin>
Old 01-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Diablo-RCU

Since Mr. Vess has this instrumented airplane, it would be very interesting to see some data comparing the speed of the plane in a long vertical upline with his prop and some of the competitor's products. I'd love to see a DA-100 powered plane with Mejzlik and Menz-S 27x10 props compared to the best of his prototypes. Perhaps some acceleration tests from a hover too?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

These props look A LOT like the engel props, but in wood.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
RobertV

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the interest in the props! So far, I'm on schedule to have the 100cc and 150cc sizes on the market by mid March so watch for them then. And a full line will follow as I get them tested.

Robert Vess
Vess Propellers
Old 01-27-2006, 12:42 AM
rcblimppro

Any plans to do 3 blade props or composite?

Shawn Berkheimer

R/C Blimp Productions.com
Old 01-27-2006, 09:07 AM
RobertV

Shawn,

I have plans to do both! But that will be down the road a bit........

RV
Old 04-07-2006, 07:53 AM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys ... www.vessaero.com is online now. Looks like the online store is not stocked yet but I know DA has a stock.

I've been flying the 27B on my 102" QQ Yak (DA100 with MTW cannisters) with really good results.

Jamie
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My son just bought one for our 3W100........can't wait to try it out! They come in A, B and C sizes....he bought a 27B......any idea what the pitch is?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Diablo-RCU

I asked Dave Johnson the same question about pitch. "B" is their standard prop. "A" is less load, "C" is more load. But, he didn't attribute a specific pitch to these sizes.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Bob101

If you read the FAQ the pitch is not constant across the span.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I looked at these props last night at the toledo SHOW.

they do look nice, but performance has yet to really be tested. DA has them, or at least had them in stock, but they haven't even tested them. If you were to call them, they would simply recommend what they have been TOLD should work. I will wait to let someone else be the guinna pig.

The props do not have a constant pitch nor airfoil. That's right, the pitch and the airfoil change along the length of the blade.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Looked like they perform pretty good to me last time I saw them on a DA when Robert was changing out props and checking them with telemetry.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
CAPtain232

DO you have any info to verify?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that these are BAD props. I am just saying until the REAL numbers start coming out I am going to wait to buy one. I am not one to buy things just because they are the latest things on the market. For the most part though, I don't trust most manufacturers numbers. I wait to see what the general population has to say about something so I know what I am really getting myself into.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Other than looking over his shoulder at his laptop and watching the planes fly No, but I will be putting one on my DA 100.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

What numbers do you want? Actual thrust numbers? Good luck. RPM numbers? We know RPM doesn't correlate directly with thrust when you change blade profiles. Dbs? I'll give you that one
Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 AM
RobertV

Captain232,

As a consumer, you SHOULD be cautious about how you spend your hard earned dollar. And sales pitches are just that. So, your approach of waiting to hear what the un-biased end user has to say about a brand new product is actually quite smart. Please do just that! And tell what you hear and learn. I know I'm interested because I have a sincere interest in providing you and all modelers with the props you want and need!

FYI- We are starting a rather unusual program where we will have reps at some of the large giant scale events that will have an assortment of our props for first hand testing by fliers. It will be a sort of "fly before you buy" concept where you can bolt a "loaner" on your plane for a flight to try it for yourself. If you like it, buy one. If not, nothing is lost. What more can I say? I think the first place this will happen is at Joe Nall.

Regards,

Robert Vess
Vess Propellers
Old 04-10-2006, 09:26 AM
CAPtain232

Mr. Vess,

That is an excellent idea.... FLY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing your props. As I said in earlier posts, the do look quite well and I know you have alot of time invested in them as they are a complicated design. Fact of the matter is, I hope they perform very well. If so, I will purchase one.

Good luck with this project
Old 04-10-2006, 11:21 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Robert,

Do you plan on producing props for the 50cc engine range also, like for the DA-50?

P.S. You need to keep an eye on that Jsnipes guy at all times!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.