Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

World Models Katana 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:15 PM
drewbags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Katana 50cc

Has anyone built/flown one of these yet? I believe they are a copy(?) of the Aeroworks Katana 29%. This would be my first venture into large models and I am thinking of putting a Zenoah G62, which in the UK is a cheaper option than a higher power 50/60cc. I would like to do a little 3D, some hovering maybe, but probably stick to more scale like aeros for the time being. The specs for the WM kit are 84in wingspan, 1131 sq in wing area and a flying wt of 16-18 lbs.

Any views on this combo? Many thanks.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: World Models Katana 50cc

You will be fine with that combo many people used a G-62 when we sold the planes and they flew well not insane power for 3D but it still got the job done.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:04 PM
drewbags

Mark

Thanks for the reply, was what I was thinking. Will probably go down that route and then upgrade later if required.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Heli-NuBee

Just started building my World Models 50 cc Katana. I am using a Zenoa G62 with EI by Ralph Cunningham, Top Flight 22x10 prop, Tower high torque servos on the ailerons and elevator, JR high torque servo on the rudder, dual 2,000 ma 6 volt batteries for the radio, a 1,650 ma 4.8 volt battery for the ignition and a 32 ounce fuel tank. I must say that the airplane kit instructions suck, they are very poorly done. It is a good thing I am an experienced builder. One of the first things I ran into is the rear stab is not thick enough for the high torque servos and will require a spacer to fit. Overall quality of this kit in my mind is only fair, not up to World Model's normal standards. I will post more as the build continues.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can cut that fuel tank down to about 20oz.

I run a G-62 in the World Models 80" Extra. Stock tank was 27oz. I was able to fly it 2 times about 10 minutes each flight and still had 1/4 tank.

Switched to a 20oz tank and can fly over 20 minutes.

Normal IMAC type throttle control with occassional full throttle bursts.

With a 32oz tank--I'll bet you could fly it for an hour.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Heli-NuBee

OK RCpilot, thanks for the advice. Maybe I will stick with the stock fuel tank (approx. 20 oz) or will use a 24 oz tank and try that first. Less weight is better.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 02-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Heli-NuBee

Woops, I guess I spoke a little to soon. I found shim blocks in the kit for the elevator servos and instructions that show to install the blocks. I guess I owe World an appology but I still think that the instructions are very poor. In fact, it was hard to figure out the shim block thing because there are no written instructions for same only a picture and symbols. I now have all hinges installed and pinned, the aileron servos and elevator servos installed.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Heli-NuBee

My build is continuing and I have run into a few challanges. Mine came with a pull/pull rudder system. I think some of them were made with a rear mounted servo and pushrod but not mine.
Two of the eye hooks in the kit would not fit the heavy duty clevis'. Two did fit and two did not. The holes in the end of two clevis were to big for the eye hooks. The eye hooks just slide right through and could not thread at all. The cable supplied in the kit was also very close. If either had been even a half inch shorter, I could not have connected the rudder servo. I had to figure out a way to make their hardware work for the rudder pull/pull system. When I tried to install the screws for the wheel covers on the landing gear, I discovered the holes were drilled to close to the axel nut for the screws to fit. New holes had to be drilled in the landing gear for the screws to fit. I'm not trying to flame World Models for these issues. World is a great mfg. and is well known in the hobby as a good supplier. However, my hope is that some of the issues I ran into can be avoided by others if they know in advance what to expect.

Roger
Old 03-04-2006, 06:24 AM
paully

I built my world models 50cc katan last year back.
I too found the instructions to be dog poo.

I downloaded the aeroworks manual as it is essentially the same plane. using a da50 i found it better to move the rudder servo into the fuz and use a pull pull rudder control in order to sort the cg

flies nice enough tho.

beware tho, there is a cg difference between the world models manual and the aeroworks. go with the aeroworks. it is fine.

paul
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Heli-NuBee

Thanks Paully, I appreciate the input. I will try to find the Aero Works instruction manual for the CG setting. I am nearing completion now but I did find a couple of more challanges. The screw set up for mounting the wings to the wing tube did not work. I had to drill new holes and tap for a 6/32 screw to get it right. The wing tube fit so tight in the fuselage that it is there permanetly but the wings slide on and off OK. The next challange was the top cover of the fuselage. The screws would not line up and start no matter how hard I tried. The holes through the fuselage included a nice little pieces of brass tubing for the screw but unfortunately, they did not line up with the installed blind nuts in the fuselage hatch. I had to remove the brass tubing and enlarge the holes to get the screws to work. I guess I will now use a little CA glue in the screw holes to harden the wood in that area and keep the holes from enlarging with use. I hope to have mine in the air by this comming weekend if the weather permits.

Best wishes and good flying!

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 03-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Heli-NuBee

I finished up the last details on my World Models 50cc Katana today and test ran the engine. I thought that I would have to shorten up the engine box using the Zenoa G62 engine to get the proper CG without adding weights. However, the engine box was just fine as designed and the CG came in right on the money. My G62 has electronic ignition and motor mount by Ralph Cunningham and it is quite light for a Zenoa. I believe that it weighs just over four pounds. However, the Katana airplane is another matter. The total dry weight of my Katana is 19 pounds and 11 ounces. Wow, that is heavy but the only thing I can see where I could have saved a little weight would be to use a single 6 volt battery for the radio and maybe save 4 to 5 ounces. I guess I will just have to see how it flys at this weight. I set the initial control throws up according to Aeroworks recommendations for their Katana 50. I hope to do the first test flights this weekend if weather permitts.

Best wishes and good flying.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)
Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 PM
mikaelmiki
My Feedback: (8)

i have flown the katana 50cc by WM. only word is[:@]. wrost plane i flew
Old 10-05-2006, 08:02 AM
G-Pete

A guy from our club just ordered this airplane. He ordered the G62 as well, with 84 oz weight I look very skeptical at this combo. Yes, the G62 have a ton of power – but to end up with almost 20 pounds…????
He not the guy who read a lot on the boards – just try to help out. He flies right now a Funtana 100 – I hate to burst his bubble…they (whoever) told them this airplane with the G62 will fly better and in the same style. Sorry, I don’t think so.

So, who can say I’m wrong (I hope so for this poor soul)

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Tell him to send the G-62 to Ralph Cunningham. Comes back MUCH lighter and easier to start. My 1/4 PW Extra came in < 16.5 with such a G-62, hovers at less than half throttle on a 23x8 prop.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

What didn't you like about the plane? I am thinking of getting one and putting my Brillelli 60 on it. Weight is lower than a G62 and power is as good or better. I had it on a GP Patty Wagstaff. Patty met its end today when the reciver battery dropped a cell. No control, allmost a 90deg hit at 3/4 throttle from 200ft. It is a mess. The engine survived so now I need a new plane for it. I was thinking of the Katana. It is a little bigger and a little heavier, so it will be a better match. Patty was hovering at 1/4 throttle. I would like it to be closer to 1/2 throttle. The plane seems so cheep for the size.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:07 PM
n0kjf

What about a 3W 75cc? I was thinking about this plane for my son, I see one did not like it, how about the rest?

Thanks

Lew
Old 06-20-2007, 03:57 PM
les40
My Feedback: (1)

Let's get this post going again. Anybody have one of these and want to talk about it? I recently purchased a used Aeroworks and it is the same exact airplane. The parts are interchangeable. I plan to take the G62 out and put in a DA50. I may move the rudder servo to a tray behind the wing tube also.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:51 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am looking for a 50cc Katana would you recommend to buy this one?

Mike
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
les40

I'm not sure. It sure is cheap. I plan on putting a 3W 75i into it as I believe a 50 won't be enough at my altitude of 3000 ft. and temps in the upper 90s to 100.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Doppelganger

ORIGINAL: mikaelmiki

i have flown the katana 50cc by WM. only word is[:@]. wrost plane i flew
I watched a Video of Brandon Chitty flying his Aeroworks Katana and it was just incredible. If that plane is a bad flyer, I'd love to see him fly a "good" plane.
Also, I watched my friend maiden his 3 weeks ago. Flew great. I own it now. He needed me to do some work for him and said he'd give me the plane with engine (3W50i) as payment. He has a 86"QQYak, and a Cactus Aviation 35%Extra. So I got the Katana. Not bad for a little work. As many before me have said, flying is about setup. You Test & test, trim and test, and trim some more. There are other threads on this plane that you should read. The 3W worked well @ 5000 ft. elv. It hovered the plane but pullout was slow. However, that was the first flight for the engine.
http://www.chitty3d.com/ Scroll down the page to "Best blender ever"

Steve
Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
3DDino

so steve
how was ur newly acquired wm katana50cc performing ?
was it up to ur standard
thz
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Doppelganger

I havent touched the Kat yet. I've been concentrating on my EFYak54 74". I probably won't get to the Kat for months. No real rush for me. Right now I'm totally engrossed with my Yak and the Brillelli 46 pulling it. I may dump the 3W50i and buy one of Scotts 60cc engines. The 3W only has 1 flight on it. We'll see.

BTW, did any of you take a look at that video? Really crappy flying plane huh?

Steve
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

If anyone is still following this thread, I would like to ask a couple of questions on the World Models Katana 50cc I picked one up today and downloaded the manual from Airborne Models website. The biggest questions I had was on servo requirements, there is a Hitec HS755HB installed in the tray for Rudder, but would like to know what torque requirements for ailerons and elevator. Next is the plane has a Moki 2.10 with smoke muffler installed. The plane has never flown and I know that a Moki is a real powerhouse, but will it be enough for this plane.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Tibcsyke

hi all,

has anyone built this plane with dl 50 or dle 55?is it enough for 3d flight?do i have to make any modification or not?

happy landing 
                          T

Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Tibcsyke

has anyone any video about the world models katana29%?...i've been looking for some but i didn't find any...