Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ohio RC Super/Pepsi Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ohio RC Super/Pepsi Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 02:45 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dihedral for Ohio Super Chipmunk

I am looking for the dihedral for the Ohio R/C Super or Pepsi Chipmunks.

I have the Trainer kit and it calls for 6" with one tip on the board, that seems like a lot.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2003, 03:51 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default I have one...

I have the kit - I am out of town until next Wednesday, but if you haven't gotten an answer before then, email me, and I will look it up.

I flew a buddies, that's what convinced me to trade for this one - one VERY sweet flying plane - much more sport than aerobatic, but sometimes it's nice to NOT push the envelope!

R
Old 08-21-2003, 05:09 PM
rcav8or

Default I'm back...

Checked my book, for the Pepsi Chipmunk, kit number 101. It calls for 6" as well. Perhaps that's why it's so docile on final. If you decide to put less dihedral in it, barring input from someone who has done it, I wouldn't go much lower than perhaps 5", or you might start getting some adverse affects. It fly's GREAT built according to the plans - I checked my buddy's and his has the full 6". And although not an Edge, or Extra, or similar, it is one great flying plane. I will be building my according to plans. I am anxious to have a great flying somewhat aerobatic plane, that isn't a handfull every moment. Nice Sunday flyer!

Roger
Old 08-21-2003, 05:55 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ohio RC Super/Pepsi Chipmunk

Originally posted by jmulder
I just cant get a break. I've been looking for a big super chipmunk. I guess the search goes on.............John
Hi John,

Try this site:

http://www.apacheproducts.co.uk/

I think these are the old Ohio Chipmunks, but I'm not sure.
81" span. Look like good quality models
Old 08-21-2003, 07:15 PM
PlaneKrazee

Default Ohio RC Super/Pepsi Chipmunk

Roger,

Thank you for the info on the dihedral.

Apache uses 4" on theirs, I don't know if they have adverse roll in knife edge or in rudder turns. They say their kit is very similar but is supposed to be easier to build and weigh the same. The canopies and cowls are interchangable.

I will build it per plans and give it a go.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:55 PM
apalsson

Default RE: Ohio RC Super/Pepsi Chipmunk

ORIGINAL: vanguard

I am assembling an Ohio RC Pepsi Chipmunk. About ready to start covering want to complete the engine installation. I am using a Zenoah G38. I believe this is what they rec. for this plane.
I vanguard, I know it's been a while since this posting but I am curious how you went with the G38 in your Chipmunk and how you found the setup.
I have just bought the kit from Apache and was going to fit the same engine.

Regards

Ari Palsson
Sydney
Old 05-31-2004, 09:59 PM
Dick Smith

I just bought an Ohio RC Super Chipmunk on e-Bay for $279.00. I feel that I was lucky to get the kit for that price. When I got the kit in the mail from the owner I checked every piece of wood in the kit. Not only was every piece there but the kit was like new. I always enjoyed building Ohio RC Kits and was sorry to see them go out of business. I plan on using a SuperTigre 3000 in mine. I was glad to read a comment above that someone else used that engine as well. The dehedral is 6 inches. My directions indicates that you should not change the dehedral. I have a ways to go to complete the kit, but am sure that it will be in the air this summer.

I bought the graphics for the kit from Bart at Die Hard graphics. He is a great guy to do business with.

Dick
Old 05-31-2004, 10:22 PM
rcav8or

Dick, please, keep us informed...I just picked up a H9 Cap with a Saito 1.80...I am thinking about putting it on mine, when I build it, although I though seriously about a gasser, which I prefer....

I have always liked the ST stuff...have a BUNCH of ST engines...never had a single fault with them...

R
Old 06-21-2004, 03:54 PM
jwfly
My Feedback: (2)

Friends, I am needing a replacement canopy for the Ohio RC chipmunk...does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...

JWfly
Old 06-21-2004, 06:06 PM
rcav8or

Hmmm...could be a tough one! I haven't started mine yet, so I have a "virgin" canopy. Could possibly be used to make a mold, if you have a way, or know someone who does, of vacuum pulling one down for you...

R
Old 06-22-2004, 06:43 AM
Superfast

The Ohio R/C planes have been bacl on the matrket for about 6 months or so, they are now sold under the ProCraft Models name. Bob Ankne (Procraft) used to work for Ohio and bought out the line of planes. I just bought (2 months ago) the 84" Extra 300s and a friend of mine picked up the Ohio Chipmunk and is currently building it. Bob has all the cowls and canopys available, and let me tell ya they look great.I recieved the Extra cowl and canopy about 2 weeks ago and it is the best looking cowl I have seen in a long time. Give Bob a call he can help you out with canopy and even another kit if you want one, (937) 432-0512

Scott
Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
jwfly

Many thanks to Scott for reply!...Canopy is ordered...good to know that Ohio RC stuff is still available!

Jerry[8D]
Old 07-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Dick Smith

Replay to rcav8or

I completed the Super Chgipmunk that I talk about above, and am replying to your request. Since completing the Ohio RC Super Chipmunk, I have about 10 flights on it. It flys great with no bad tendencies. The Super-Tigre 3000 does the job well. I mostly fly the chipmunk at about 2/3 throtle. Because the engine is a bit bigger that what is required, I balanced the model using a quarter scale servo for the rudder under the body about 2/3 back from the trailing edge of the wing. I also used a 1500 MAH NiCd battery and put it just in front of the quarter scale servo. That balanced the model and I did not need to add weight. I shortened each wing half by 1/2 inch. My wing therefore is 80 inches and not 81 inches. GREAT FLYING MODEL

Dick Smith
Old 07-30-2004, 01:57 PM
PlaneKrazee

Hi Dick,

Did you go with the 6" of dihedrel? The Apache a british clone of the kit only uses 4". Does your plane have roll/pitch coupling with rudder?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Dick Smith

Hi Brian,

I followed the directions and used the 6" dihedral. I do not have roll/pitch coupling with rudder. In fact I do not know what that is. I am not that great of a pilot, but enjoy this hobby very much. I can do a few acrobatics, and this Ohio RC Super Chipmunk can do everything that I am capable of doing. It also provides me with the stability that I need. I have a Midwest Extra 300 XS, a quarter scale aeroworks Edge 540. and now the Ohio RC Super Chipmunk. All three of these models are great flying airplanes. I also have the Midwest Giles 202, but that model is being repaired. The Giles 202 is a great flying airplane as long as the engine is running. Earlier this summer the engine stopped during taker off and it was imposible for me to save it. Damage is not too bad. I put it aside until winter. In all I have 12 models (40 size up to 1/4 scale).

Dick
Old 07-31-2004, 10:12 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This airplane is one of my favorites, mine is about 9 or 10 years old and still looks like when these pictures were first taken, I finished this bird with Polyester fabric and butyrate dope, then I painted it with Dupont Centari and after applying all the decals, trim colors, etc. was clear coated with clear urethane, all automotive stuff, it features a sliding canopy, full interior detail, CJM shock absorbing struts, weighs ready to fly 15 lbs., powered by a ST 3000, and even with this light engine it is nose heavy, I never bothered to bring the CG to a more realistic level because the airplane flyes so well as it is, as mentioned above, the airfoil used in this airplane really did the trick, the only bad tendency that it has as it is, is that on cross winds it is very hard to stop it from viering toward the wind, the tail just skids and by the time the rudder becomes really effective, is already flying. To anyone that can build one of this, do a good job, as the airplane is really worth it, here are some pictures for you guys to get you motivated!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63310.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	159370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11427.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	159371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32896.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	159372  
Old 08-01-2004, 01:31 AM
apalsson

Fantastic looking plane Walter.

I am building one at the moment, it's prom Apache Aviation in the UK and is basically the same plane.
I am posting a few photos as I go in the kit building forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1%2F...2029187/tm.htm

Regards

Ari
Old 08-05-2004, 05:55 AM
PlaneKrazee

Hi Dick,

Roll/pitch coupling would be when you apply rudder the plane wants to roll left or right and or pitch up and down. In a flat rudder turn or knife edge other inputs are needed besides rudder.

I just received a G&L 1/5 scale chipmunk. It has a epoxy glass fuselage, Pepsi cowl and pants with foam wings, rudder, stab and elevators. The canopy is moulded in the glass but could be cut out and replaced by a clear one. Making a sliding canopy would be more work but Walter D's looks very nice. No wood or hardware is included so you need to get your own sheeting, leading edge, rudder post, and plywood firewall and gear mounts.

It looks like a very quick build and parts may interchange with Procraft/Ohio RC/Apache.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:50 PM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

I will be building a Ohio R/C Chipmunk soon and want to know if anyone has decreased the 6" dihedral and the results. Anyone build the Apache with 4" dihedral?
I would like to know what coupling issues and inverted flight stability it has with 6 or 4 inches. Or, if less dihedral how it flew in respect to coupling or inverted flight.
I know, why don't I just get an extra, edge or yak! I like the chipmunks! Rick
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 AM
popsy

Default RE: Dihedral for Ohio Super Chipmunk

AMR in Montreal Canada carries Super Chipmunk 30cc...

Here's the link http://amr-rc.com/index.php?path=con...ream&langue=en
Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
rica1

Just trying to get answers to my 12/15/11 questions. Thanks though.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
MetallicaJunkie

10yr anniversary thread!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: rica1

Just trying to get answers to my 12/15/11 questions. Thanks though.

For what is worth Art Scholl took out half of the dihedrel in at least one of his Super Chipmunks. I think it was N1114.

I can't see why taking half the dihedral out would cause any problems. The Dihedral is only in a plane to stablize it in the "roll" axis.

Here is my Ohio R/C Super Chipmunk build thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm I have taken a short break on it to finish up an OV-10 but should be back on it soon.
Kelly
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM
rica1

Kelly,
OMG! That is so awesome. And your 1st scratch build!? what a challenge, it looks like you have scratch built many planes. I would really like to see it up close. Thanks for the build thread! I'm looking forward to following the build and flight report.
Art taking out 1/2 the dihedral makes sense if you want to do more advance aerobatics. Because it was built as a trainer it made it very stable with more dihedral. I watched the video you referenced and it was great to watch, I noticed the wing is fairly flat.
I was wondering if someone else had the same idea to lessen the dihedral for better aerobatic handling. So, I just need to decide how much. If Art chose 1/2, that should be a good start. Thank you for the info and input. I'll look forward to your build progress. Rick
Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Just make templates of the wing parts that you would need to scratch another wing if it dosen't work out. Rare and good flying kits as these are, I would copy the whole thing and build the copy. Mine had a Super Tigre 2500 on it that flamed out over the grapevines, so I need to rebuild it. Very much worth fixing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.