Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Gorilla Glue concerns ....

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Gorilla Glue concerns ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:07 PM
feep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gorilla Glue concerns ....

I'm going to do a search but before I do I will ask the question. Has anyone done a kind of scientific comparison of all the different types of glues we use in this hobby? I used to tell people in the plastic model hobby that glues should be treated like nails in the carpentry profession. Each one has its place and no one type is good for every appplication. But that is a very simplistic view when it come to glues because they are used for so many more applications than nails. It would be nice to have an extensive chart which shows the strengths and weaknesses of the major types we use. That simple test with the tongue depressors was interesting for me because I wasn't aware of the glue's own weakness (i have just begun to use it) I have used other glues. I'd like to find a chart that shows how CA works on balsa, hardwood, plywood, carbon fiber, plastic, clear plastic, etc and combinations of materials as well and then the same type of chart with GG, epoxy, etc. That would be helpful. Hey everyone, as I speak I just came up with an idea for a postor for your workshop with all the types of glues and how the work. You could sell it in hobby shops and on line! Let's see the the free enterprise system in action here
Old 02-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not trying to be a sma-- a--, but to do proper "scientific" comparison is well beyond what most of us have the resources to do. If anyone has the cash and inclination, get in touch with Sonex in Annapolis or John Hopkins APL labs. When all is said and done there won't be much left to doubt. Gonna cost a bunch, tho[X(]
Old 02-19-2006, 06:55 PM
bonedaddy41
My Feedback: (2)

Yep. Stir sticks and clothes pins is about as scientific as I can afford to get
Old 02-19-2006, 08:03 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmmm I work in an engineering lab with access to equipment that will apply loads in tension and in compression. To do the kind of testing that would be useful one would need to run some sort of full factorial test (design for experiment). This isn't complicated but it does take some time and preparation. I think that for the most part many of us know what glues are good for what types of woods and which types aren't. Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.river2u.com/home_improvem...m?kid=11489731
Old 02-19-2006, 08:39 PM
pcsol

I have had the chance to be involved with some controlled testing for a number of commercial adhesives including Gorilla glue. Not laboratory testing but industrial shop testing for a large CAD furniture company. The business designs mostly commercial furniture for pre production runs and uses several adhesives across a large selection of materials. Of all the wood to wood adhesives that are used for concept and prototype construction aliphatic is by far the most common but there are joints that best utilize an expanding type adhesive such as GG. It is these irregular joints that really benefit from this type of glue.
One thing that was determined during testing was that side torsion (twisting) loads were far more likely to fail than direct pull loads. We were able to fail a fairly large area joint consisting of two maple blocks. It took an extreme amount of pressure (using hydraulic ram equipment) but the joint would fail at the glue, not the wood. Would this kind of force be encountered in the RC modeling world ? I sure doubt it . Probably not even in full scale. There are many factors involved when using any kind of adhesive. We’ve all become so comfortable with aliphatic and epoxies because of there unbelievable flexibility. Would I use GG to build a model ? No way.... it requires clamping, and it dries to dang slow !! I have found it to be great for skinning foam, and tried it for hinges once, but wont go there again ..
I have had the chance to try many other glues and I always come back to the stuff we know so well. I'm still waiting for a water based, easy sanding, light aliphatic glue that cures as fast as CA !!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 PM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

just out of curosity does anyone know of a crash due to a failuer of GG i rember going through this same problem when CA first started being used in model building not trying to scare anyone but
what types of glue are used in A R F S are they safe

YES I AM THAT OLD I REMBER AMBROID
Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
pcsol

I LOVE AMBROID !!
If not only for the smell Oh, , cant forget SigMent ! And what was the other I used on my Ukies back in the seventies.............
Oh yahh , Duco cement !
Nothing like waiting four hours for a joint to hold !
I think most current ARF's are being built with solid products. These day's if one isn't the word spreads like wild fire and they sit on the shelf. The days of plastic covered foam and hot melt glue are far far behind us. The last few years I have built some ARF's that have really shown the changes to better technology, and the availability of more trained builders / assemblers. I just finished up an 87 Yak that is engineered very well. About 50-50 balsa and light ply and all CA with Epoxy where it counts.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:27 AM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

50 IMAC/3D practice flights now no problems.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

I have broken loose the plastic cowl on a Radian sail plane... twice.. Once by me and once by a friend.... first sail plane for me... the foam that the cowl fits on too is damaged and bent to the side..... I was going to use Gorilla glue but after reading many of these postings I am not sure... What glue would be best for the cowl which contains the motor to glue to a small amount of foam on the front of the Radian....? Foam compatible or epoxy , or gorilla glue or what are options.... ?

Thanks... Richard
Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard39
I have broken loose the plastic cowl on a Radian sail plane... twice.. Once by me and once by a friend.... first sail plane for me... the foam that the cowl fits on too is damaged and bent to the side..... I was going to use Gorilla glue but after reading many of these postings I am not sure... What glue would be best for the cowl which contains the motor to glue to a small amount of foam on the front of the Radian....? Foam compatible or epoxy , or gorilla glue or what are options.... ?

Thanks... Richard
It's hard to say without seeing the damage, but likely I'd use epoxy

good luck
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

thanks.... I am using epoxy ..tomorrow....