Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

50cc Battle Off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Mr.Extra 260
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc Battle Off!!!

At this post put in your opinion the top five 50cc aerobats out there. Here are mine!

1. The giles 202 by ultra rc has the number 1 spot in my head because of its increadible 3d capabilities. I think this comes from its ultra lite weight.

2. The h9 extra 260 because of its increadible abilities in the hover and snap. Not to mention its one of the most stable aircraft out there. Its stability comes from its inline fuse. The extra 260 also has the best looks in its class in my opinion. Ive noticed that this airplane should be seen in more imac compititions as it is very strong in that region. I think its because if its mid wing design.

3. The Great Planes cap 232 looks like a great aircraft from the videos ive seen. Its looks very lite in the air and the controls are very agresive making this cap look awsome.

4. The lanier rc yak is one of the only large aerobats to have beveled aielerons from what ive seen. This extra effect gives the yak very very good rolling performance, I might add its very good looking to.

5. Last but not least the CA models extra 27%. This plane looks like an all around good 3d plane and im considering getting one. It fuse is very rigid making it good for walls, which is my favorite manuver.

Now it is your turn list 1-5 your favorite 50cc aircraft and what there advantages are! Have fun and let your opinion free.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:30 AM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 50cc Battle Off!!!

Search Button.....

well The Giles will never take a 50 so scarth that, and perosnally IMO the great planes lanier and H9 are all too heavy and their wingloading is off.

But that is only MY Opinion.

In no particular order... the best 50CC'ers

are

-TOC Yak
-BME Edge VI VII VII
-Extreme Flight Yak
-QQ Yak

those are the best of your after 3D.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Rickles56

The H9 Extra 260. I just got one and will be putting a DA 50 in it, a perfect match... really what Mike McConville designed it for. #2 is the CA Extra is a very light plane, very nice looking as well. I have always liked the looks of the GP CAP but they do not handle knife edges well, they snap unpredictably. I am not sure after that.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the H-9 260.

The CA, GP, and 202 are not 50cc planes. Lot's of power, yes, but also more weight than they need to carry to perform well.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

That’s unbelievable out of five choices five are junk.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
The Yaks out there are probably the best TOC, QQ, BME (good wing area) and the Aeroworks Edge (can be built really light).
But your five choices would be on the bottom of my list, probably not even on my list there not even worth the key stroke.
Nice try but your way off.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Rickles56

Wow T.Bob... let's see your list if you're that sure. The Aerotech YAk weighs 5 lbs more than the H9 Extra flight ready!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:28 AM
lockjaw-express
My Feedback: (36)

I think with the new 55CC BME engine the 260 would be the best. But, in my opinion, a 32 to 34 oz engine is best for your choices & my 260 H9 was too heavy with the DA50.

Regards, Mark

PS: I have the TOC YAK with the DA50 = Great combo!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 01:28 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are a rude and mean person. No I'm not kidding.

Wups almost forgot my list. I agree with fasterthanlife.

ORIGINAL: T. Bob

That’s unbelievable out of five choices five are junk.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.
The Yaks out there are probably the best TOC, QQ, BME (good wing area) and the Aeroworks Edge (can be built really light).
But your five choices would be on the bottom of my list, probably not even on my list there not even worth the key stroke.
Nice try but your way off.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:29 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

T. Bob and Fasterthan...

I couldn't agree more!! We are really lucky right now to have a bunch of quality choices in airframes right now, but the ones mentioned in the first few posts have got to be some of the WORST for any kind of performance that some of the better pilots have come to expect. Just look at the wing area/weight/wing loading of the H9 and Lanier!!! Not even in the same league! Now I have seen a H9 260 and it IS a nice plane and flies fine, it just isn't up to some of the others when it comes to the EXTREME!!! Again, just my humble opinion, but it is based on some real observations. I am nowhere near a good enough pilot to make these calls, but we do have a few great pilots at our field who are and they are flying BME!!!! just my .02!!!

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 02-18-2006, 04:42 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Rickles56

Wow T.Bob... let's see your list if you're that sure. The Aerotech YAk weighs 5 lbs more than the H9 Extra flight ready!
It also has 20% more wing area...

5# more? Does the H9 Extra 260 HONESTLY weigh 11# rtf, with the DA50? I didn't think so. Probably more like 3# more. So the Aerotech weighs 19% more, but has 20% more wing area.

Just thinking out loud here...
Old 02-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Wings-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 QQ-Yak
#2 BME YakII
#3 PA-Edge 540
#4 BME Edge 540 III
#5 TOC Yak

Others...
H9 260 - proven , but a little small in the 50cc class (wing loading may be a little high with a 50cc gas but buy far the best of the ones you mentioned.) Ultra 202, may turn into a pig with a 50cc gas, really meant for a 1.6 glow. Lanier & Aeroworks Yaks have not yet been flown, measured or weighed to know if they are any good. Neither company has a good history in the ARF market.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Mr.Extra 260

First of all tbob are you taking this thread as a threat? Because it just here for you to anser not to flame. Sorry to any one about the lanier plane. I blanked out on the QQ yak or I would have put in place. And it says on the ohio model product web page that you can put a 50cc engine in the giles. I know it wouldnt perform well with that sized of an engine but I just had to put that plane. Also b terry I know for a FACT that the extra 260 ways around 11 1/2 pounds with a da 50.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:51 AM
BTerry

ORIGINAL: Mr.Extra 260

Also b terry I know for a FACT that the extra 260 ways around 11 1/2 pounds with a da 50.
Mike McConville's plane weighed 15# with the DA and a cannister, so more like 14# 4oz with a pitts muffler.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
BTerry

In fact, the test plane in FlyRC Mag weighed 11.5# with the Saito 2.20, an engine that weighs, complete, 7 oz less than a BARE DA50, which still needs 18 more oz of accessories/hardware/battery/ignition/standoffs/muffler, etc.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the H9 Extra, it is one of the best-looking planes on the market. However, my own personal experience has proven that an 1100 in^2 plane weighing more than 13# with a gas motor is far too heavy for my personal taste. It may be perfect for you, however. My experience shows the DA is still almost too much power for a 16# plane.

If you don't mind building, the Colombo Anderson kits are very simple and fly extremely well. Also look at the Fiber Lite Edge, [link=http://www.fiber-lite.com/RC%20main.htm]here[/link]. It weighs an HONEST 15# with the DA50 on 1450 in^2 wing area = 24oz/ft^2 loading.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:47 AM
fasterthanlife

The 260, I believe is a great plane with the RIGHT engine.

You are really gonna want that extra wingspan/wingarea to weight ratio of one of the higher end 30%'s to get good performance with a 50.

Currently at only $600 bucks the BME Edge VIII is the cheapest of the five greats (In my Book) and it has awsome hardware stock, CF everywhere! and wingbags/fusebags.

The only downer, I think, is the pink purple rainbow stripes, but it has been proven many times on here that that can be fixed.

-Taylor-
Old 02-18-2006, 10:53 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider it fixed!!!

Regards!!

Astrohog
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98452.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	410523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68475.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	410524  
Old 02-18-2006, 11:05 AM
fasterthanlife

LMAO I was waiting for that!

Looks nice astro. is that VII or VIII?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:05 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Double Vision
Cuda
Vision
All of the Composite ARFs
Probably all of the WildHare products. (a little heavy but very durable)

They're are a lot of 50cc plane better than the first five.

No reason to be angry just one guys opinion....

The right opinion
Old 02-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Mr.Extra 260

I already have the 260 with 45cc engine and it ways just over 12 pounds. I thought that the da 50 would weigh less than the 45 but I geuss not. keep on listing your top 5
Old 02-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Here we go again...

The best 3D monster is whatever flips your switch, rocks your world and gives you a woody when you're DOD...

For me, it would be something with 30 lbs of thrust, weighs 15 lbs, has 15oz/sq in. wing loading and costs $100...

Hey, we can wish can't we!!!

Old 02-18-2006, 01:09 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr.Extra 260

At this post put in your opinion the top five 50cc aerobats out there. Here are mine!

1. The giles 202 by ultra rc has the number 1 spot in my head because of its increadible 3d capabilities. I think this comes from its ultra lite weight. way, way, way too small to be a 50cc class airplane and will fly heavy

2. The h9 extra 260 because of its increadible abilities in the hover and snap. Not to mention its one of the most stable aircraft out there. Its stability comes from its inline fuse. The extra 260 also has the best looks in its class in my opinion. Ive noticed that this airplane should be seen in more imac compititions as it is very strong in that region. I think its because if its mid wing design.
way too small to be a 50cc class airplane and will fly heavy

3. The Great Planes cap 232 looks like a great aircraft from the videos ive seen. Its looks very lite in the air and the controls are very agresive making this cap look awsome. way too small to be a 50cc class airplane and will fly heavy

4. The lanier rc yak is one of the only large aerobats to have beveled aielerons from what ive seen. This extra effect gives the yak very very good rolling performance, I might add its very good looking to. way too heavy without HEAVY modification and extra money - even still it will be over 17 pounds regardless. Not a 50cc, IMO

5. Last but not least the CA models extra 27%. This plane looks like an all around good 3d plane and im considering getting one. It fuse is very rigid making it good for walls, which is my favorite manuver. way too small to be a 50cc class airplane and will fly heavy, and is just plain built heavy.

Now it is your turn list 1-5 your favorite 50cc aircraft and what there advantages are! Have fun and let your opinion free.
All of those are mediocre at best. You need to do more research...
Here's mine:
1) EF 50cc Yak. I had one(sold it to go bigger). I don't care if it isn't available anymore, it is still a plane for all others to live up to in size, weight, and performance.
2) EF's new 50cc offering when it comes out. If Cris had a hand in designing it, you know it will be a winner, and will be larger and lighter than his 50CC Yak
3) QQ 85" Yak is a VERY close second to both above, and curently wins because it is available right now.. It's demensions are actually very close to the above airframe and it is an awesome design and can be built light.
4) AW QB ARF Yak. I have been to the shop and saw it in person and it is beautiful and flies very well on a 50. For my altitude, it would take a 58, but it can be built to the 16 pound range with a little care and CF. It is also going to be the most A.R.F plane available.
5) Comp-arf 2.3, but only with a DA 50 and tuned pipe and only at sealevel. Otherwise it's a 75cc plane.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:18 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Go with the H-9 260.

The CA, GP, and 202 are not 50cc planes. Lot's of power, yes, but also more weight than they need to carry to perform well.
How can you say the H-9 is a 50cc airplane and the CA, GP, etc are not??? The H9 only has like 30 more square inches of wing than those...sorry, none of them are true 50cc planes, including the H9 260. It's a nice plane, but the current class of 50cc engines are way too heavy - if the BME 55 were available right now, I might consider the 260. Otherwise. the ideal engine to me would be the YS 160DZ. All of them are to small compared to the high-performance 50cc planes. If you ar a sport flyer that does only rolls, loops and stick-slamming, then have a ball with those garden-variety aircraft. For me, I demand a little more out of my airframe...
Old 02-18-2006, 01:20 PM
BasinBum

Ditto what Bodywerks just said and his list. I might jumble the order around based on availability but you can't argue about what he says about Chris who basically designed the QQ as far as I'm concerned. The original poster doesn't seem to have much experiance on this subject.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: BTerry

In fact, the test plane in FlyRC Mag weighed 11.5# with the Saito 2.20, an engine that weighs, complete, 7 oz less than a BARE DA50, which still needs 18 more oz of accessories/hardware/battery/ignition/standoffs/muffler, etc.
I have already brought that up in another thread. Sure, that's what FlyRC claimed, but then Model airplane News did a review and used the 220 and almost the exact same equipment without any bells or whistles and theirs cam in at, like 13 pounds, 11 ounces. One of them is wrong, obviously, and I am 99.9% sure it was Fly RC, because everyone else who responded to that thread that had the 220 was in the 13 pound range.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:29 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Ditto what Bodywerks just said and his list. I might jumble the order around based on availability but you can't argue about what he says about Chris who basically designed the QQ as far as I'm concerned. The original poster doesn't seem to have much experiance on this subject.
The same manufacturer builds QQ's Yak (which is pretty much why we don't have EF Yaks anymore- QQ has more funds and placed a bigger order with them. It sucks but that's business), which is why the construction is the same, but I assure you the design is all Quique.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.