Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:03 PM
jclark4x4
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Man, that's a bummer....weren't you guys flying at 1604 and I-10 - at the "lake?" I thought that was where....anyway, sorry to hear you have lost the field. And nothing in the hopper yet, I would like to know where you guys end up at, might be better for us too. If nothing comes up very soon though, give us a call and we'll try to hook up out at San Geronimo.....

Joel - 391-3938
Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Joel,
Thanks.
Yep it is a bummer as I just moved to San Antonio last summer and I have a neighbor that moved here from California who is into RC airplanes and was excited that the field was so close to the sub division (6 miles). I will be looking you up when I get the chance as it is not that far of a drive from the house. I used to drive any where from 3 miles to 20 miles when I wanted to fly in Wichita, Ks.
John
Old 04-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

I got a few more flights on the BME and it is one smoothe flying aircraft, which is what I hoped for. Fourth flight I tried some rolling circles and I was pleasently surprised with the motion. Went about three circles continous before getting out of wack! Could never do that with my edge. Probably just the weight difference but who cares. This plane makes me look like a better pilot than I am. Going out today to get several more flights, the weather is perfect!!! [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 04-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

. Next step is rolling hairiers. This plane is really helping me along with them. Easy to do, just a mental thing when I bring it low.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

OK - this plane has maidened.

I had on hand one of the best pilots in our county who happened to be at the field.

Got the new DA dialed in - not used to the canister sound so it was hard for me to figure it out by the sound.

Once everything was ready, he flew two tanks. First one for trim and balance on low rates. Minor clicks here and there but overall tracked very straight throughout all the Goldsmith type testing. This is the first plane I have that has absolutely straight uplines and downlines. No tendencies at all. Minor mix needed in KE as it tracks a bit towards the belly. Elevator and ailerons are very sensitive and low rate needs to be at 30%.

Second flight was on high rates - the full program. The plane did everything it was asked to do in a very precise and clean manner. I have rarely seen such a big plane do foamy type maneuvers with hardly any effort. The pilot commented that it 'flies like a Carden' and it 'behaves like a Yak'. I assume these are very big compliments as he managed absolutely every 3D trick he tried without much effort.

Engine is still opening up at 1:32 Ashless and 22x8 JFX prop. There seems to be significant power gains from the canister over my other DAs on Pitts mufflers. Vertical up is unlimited from hover.

AUW is about 16lbs. with rather large 2100Mah batteries upfront. Balance seems to be perfect at the recommended middle point. Landings are very slow on all three wheels.

Excellent flying airplane and great design.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Steve

Where is the VIDIO??
Old 05-01-2007, 12:26 PM
yarom

It was rather late in the afternoon, cloudy and raining.

I was also too tense to do anything but watch and get pointers, trim instructions and such. On maindens I am always waiting to see parts fly off the plane. I did a complete review afterwards and not one screw shook loose. Red Loctite and RTV are the giant scale best friends.

I will have this guy fly the plane on a sunny day with video. He likes the plane so much he wants to get one from PAU and fly mine as much as he can... He said he might use it to compete in IMAC against some of the guys with their $10K Comp ARF birds, just to show them some humility.

Right now I am heads down on completing the QQ 86" and the weather is downright nasty. As complete and finely built as it is, it is a bit more involved than the PAU Extra, especialy since it has a conventional cowl...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 AM
sknx

Well,
I got it properly maiden yesterday and put 6 flights on. I'm really happy with this plane. Have to start the trimming process, I just did a basic one, engine thrust seems to be fine, CG is Ok for the moment. I had to add 1.5 oz to the left wing tip, the right one was dropping in hard elevators. I was amazed by the rudder authority, on my low rates I managed to do some really nice
KE loops with less than 1/3 throttle on the last quarter. Engine is new and running rich so I did not came on the deck for harriers and up there is no much fun playing with high alpha when you don't have the throttle response and you hear the engine revving up after 1 sec after it actually did. Just tested the rolling harriers a few times.
I don't have any inflight pics, After I start flying I completely forgot I have a camera

Boby
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	680735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32982.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	680736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64529.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	680737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91854.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	680738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65841.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	680739  
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
jddrumm

That is nice!!!!!!!! Mine shuold be here today I hope.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
yarom

I put about 8 flights on mine so far this week.

It flies nice but taking a whole lot of time getting all the mixes and the flight lines perfectly right.

Engine is still under a gallon but I seem to get better power out of it on a Menz 23x8 than the JFX 22x8, so I went with the larger prop. I am still burning a lot of gas running rich and the 16oz tank is enough for only 14 to 16 minutes. My other DAs consume much less.

One of the wheel hubs cracked on landing today, so I switched to some sturdier and nicer wheels.

Nothing else has shaken lose so far though the cowl seems to be developing some hirline cracks over time.

This is the best landing plane I've ever had - slows down perfectly for nice three point landings.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Digger44

I've gone through two sets of wheels myself, Finally put a good set of Dubro's on and they seem sturdy enough although not as light.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
yarom

Did you notice the axles are a weird size? It's not 3/16 and not 5/32. I've had to fish for some metric drills somewhere between 5 and 5.5mm.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Digger44

Yea I did notice. Had to drill both sets of hubs that I added including the dubro's.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM
jgraham10

Well I finally got mine maidened today. Flew really well with the B366GT engine plenty of power. Only needed trim to the left.
Sorry no pics or video as it was a short flight just to maiden it.
John
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM
jclark4x4

Hey, John, I noticed your note that you have flown it...what field did you fly it at?....just a trim flight, eh, I think you'll really enjoy it. We still have only about 4 or 5 flights on ours, but love it. The only thing we didn't like was it had a tendancy to flare on landings. We thought maybe that's because we had set it up a little tail heavy. Did you have any problems landing?

Joel
Old 05-21-2007, 06:13 PM
jgraham10

Joel,

I flew out at the field just off Hwy 90 since I went out late yesterday afternoon. I actually had a friend land it as I was really nervous since this is my first gasser.
The landing was pretty smooth as Bone Doc is a veteran with gassers. I was happy with the overall flight and such. Hopefully I can get a few more flights on this week.
Do you have any more info on the field that you fly off of Culebra as I was talking with some one and they thought you had to have a code to get onto the field there.
I want to try and make it out to that field sometime soon to see what it is like. I missed the last ARCS meeting so I do not know what the status is on a new field.
John
Old 05-21-2007, 07:43 PM
yarom

Hehe, I used to build Lanier ARFs on the same thread with BoneDoc , like ages ago (actually I think it was last year)...

I have given my BME Extra to two pro flyers to try, and both keep saying it's the best 50cc they have flown so far. Don't know why and what, I can barely IMAC with it as it is not at all trimmed properly...

Both elevators and ailerons are scalled way back as they were far too sensitive at 100% even for high rate...

By far the easiest landing plane I've had - land better than a trainer and always nice three wheel landings.

One of the things I can identify is that this plane slows down very quickly when power is cut down and on the downlines. I don't know if this is good or a problem with my setup, but it makes it far easier to fly IMAC.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 PM
jclark4x4

Well, I guess the airport (field) is officially overseen by the "Propbusters." I believe that since we were flying there before propbusters, they kind of grand-fathered us in, but formally, you have to be a propbuster, or guest, to fly. Since we are not, either, that would make it complicated for you to come as our 'guest'....You might try to contact someone at propbusters, or just come out some weekend, usually someone there from propbusters on weekends. I am going on vacation, Vegas, with my wife this weekend although I might be able to make it up there Saturday morning and early afternoon. I am waiting on a servo to get my Yak back in the air, but if it doesn't come in, my son and I will probably be flying the BME Extra Saturday. Maybe you could come by? If yes, or no, whenever you do want to come in it is kind of strange....they call it a public airport, yet it does have the gate....but the combo is 7642....hope to meet you up there!

Joel
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
jgraham10

Joel,
I will get with you when you get back from Vegas and try to setup a time to meet out there on a weekend or such.
Have fun and when lots of money.
If the weather is good here I will try and go out to the ARCS field this weekend and maybe get a couple of flights in.
John
Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 AM
jclark4x4

Sound good John....only, my wife and I help build Vegas, we only bring back what we don't spend!!! The only 'luck' I possess is when I can bring a plane down without crashing! Take care,
Joel
Old 05-28-2007, 08:35 PM
jgraham10

Well got a few more flights(2) but have a few things to fix now.
Found out the amount of flights the whees that came with the airplane would last that would be 3. One of the wheels is seperating from the hub, ordered new wheels which I had been planning on doing anyway. One of the hatch hold downs broke off but luckly it fell into the fusulage so I will have to glue that back on prior to the next flight.
Overall liking the way it is flying should be getting to know the airplane.
John
Old 06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Steve

Got some more time on the plane. I took out the standard servo on the throtle and put in a coreless digi. I had to add a bunch of expo on the throtle to get it to move very smoothly, but it made a great improvement on the engine response. This is the first time I've used a coreless on the throtle and I like the improvment.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Hi all,

I am finishing up my Extra, just need to install batteries and balance it. I still have a week before I go to the field so I want to have some Extra, DA graphics on. What is the best place to order it (quick, good quality, fast shipping)? Also, I notice that couple of planes has PAU stickers on. Where to get those? I am really really appreciated what Herve and PAU crew did for me while I was building this plane and I feel like I must put the company name on it. One more question re balance; I like when the plane flying neutral so what would be recommended CG for that? Thank you in advance. Ohh and by the way did I mention that it was a pleasure to do business with PAU..

Happy flying,
Max U
Old 06-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

http://www.badbradgraphics.com/

Good and fast service and price is at market or below. I ordered a DA bird and told him the color. he said if I didn't like the color he would send me another n/c. Got it right the first try.

Brad is good people.

RDB
Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Max... I designed the logo for PAU and the ones you've seen are graphics I cut... I cut graphics for folks n the side... feel free to PM me with what you are looking for, for a quote...

Here's some samples:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.