Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to tie a knot in the rudder cable

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Is it OK to tie a knot in the rudder cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it OK to tie a knot in the rudder cable

Hi.
My rudder cables have stretched and have slack on my EF Yak.
I have shortned them by using the ball links. However, they are maxed out and I can't turn them in anymore.
It's going to be a major PITA to remove the ball links, re-crimp etc. etc.

I am looking for a simple solution to shorten the wires. Is it OK if I tie some knots in the cable to shorten it.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Is it OK to tie a knot in the rudder cable

It will weaken the cables if you tie knots in them.

Will it weaken them enough to cause a failure? I don't know.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TailTouch
I am looking for a simple solution to shorten the wires. Is it OK if I tie some knots in the cable to shorten it.
I wouldn't do it! Knots in the cable will certainly weaken them, but how much is not known. Since yours have stretched a lot my guess is there must be a lot of force on them. It's not a chance I would take -- especially with an as of right now irreplaceable (I know there are similar planes available) plane like an EF Yak (I really really really like mine!). I would simply replace the cables with the coated kevlar cables that Don's Hobby Shop sells and be done with it once and for all. I used the cables from Don's on my EF Yak and I couldn't be happier with the ease of installation and the lack of stretching...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

From some old wire rope data I remember that a knot in the line will reduce the capacity by 75%. On the other hand a Knot tied at the end of a strand being used as an anchor to keep something from slipping of the end of the cable will hold 95% of the rated capacity of the cable.
I would replace the cables. The tied knot will most likely make it real easy to access the entire inside of the fuselage if it faisl at the wrong time.
ORIGINAL: TailTouch

Hi.
My rudder cables have stretched and have slack on my EF Yak.
I have shortned them by using the ball links. However, they are maxed out and I can't turn them in anymore.
It's going to be a major PITA to remove the ball links, re-crimp etc. etc.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be putting off the inevitable. Like the others have said, replace them. Besides, its part of the maitenance. What kind of cable is it that stretched?
Edwin
Old 03-07-2006, 04:25 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

It will fatigue over time an eventually break. Just cause it works now doesn't mean it will keep working.

1 servo screw, 2 ball link screws, 4 snips, 4 crimps... what's so hard? You don't even need to take the cable off the control horn... just cut it off, crimp that first, then feed the cable forward to the servo arm. Tape the rudder centered and do your crimping up front. Simple.