Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

proper smoke pipe that doesn't melt on muffler!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

proper smoke pipe that doesn't melt on muffler!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:43 PM
airlyons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper smoke pipe that doesn't melt on muffler!

Hi all...

I have a DA50 with a Bisson pitts muffler that is smoke ready... I had tygon going to the muffler but it melted and therefore came off the nipple... I believe the size of tygon going onto the nipple is 5/32inch... can anyone recommend a kind of rubber pipe ... and where can I get it? (called the local hobby shops... they couldn't help)

thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: proper smoke pipe that doesn't melt on muffler!

I think the instructions that come with most smoke units suggest neoprene tubing for just that reason, not tygon.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

airlyons

The Black tubing is what must be used from the header or Muffler portion I typically use this material just to the one-way check valve.
It's the same material that you purchase from an Auto Parts store cars use them as Vacuum lines.

The Tygon can safely be used from the check valve on back. Just remember to wire tie all connections.

One caution about once a month check how the vacuum line is doing at the connection point for cracking. I wouldn't want u getting the oil in ur Fuselage.

Best of Luck
Ian
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always use a piece of glow (silicon) fuel tubing about an inch long on the muffler itself. Then I connect the tygon to it with a piece of brass tubing. You have to replace it every 60 or so runs with smoke, but you should be checking things anyway. Works great too.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Also the black tubing will crack in time. You much check it every couple of months and replace it. Mine has to be replaced about twice a year. Dennis
Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Have a firend who flys full size (Marchetti) who also says they were always checking and replacing the smoke tubing. Seems that the smoke oil is hard on the neopreme.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Guys Guys Guys,
with a little work you can save yourself alot of head aches. This is what I do. Remove the smoke nipple from your muffler. Place it in your drill press and drill a small 1/8" hole in it about 1/4" deep. Feed a piece of brass tubing about 4 inches long into that hole and JB weld or braze it into place. Place that back into your muffler and tighten. Then bend the brass tubing the direction you want it to go and connect your tygon tubing to that with a zip tie. What kills tygon tubing is the heat and when you move it back from your muffler you remove some or all of the heat. I have had one on a smoke muffler like that for over two years with no issues at all. It is not hard to do and works very well.

Cheers,
Hooked!