Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Pacific Planes 35% Extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Pacific Planes 35% Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacific Planes 35% Extra 260

If anyone is interested I just purchased this ARF, and it should be here in the next 2 days. I was thinking of posting a brief "build" on this plane, and let people know it's quality, and flight performance. This plane is supposed to weigh 26.5lbs. with a DA-100 and standard set-up. My set-up will be:
DA-100 on standard compact mufflers
Dual receiver set-up, JR 955's
2 Fromeco 2600 batteries, with HD wire and Deans connectors
1 Fromeco 2600 battery on ignition, with standard 6V MPI regulator
2 Badger switches, and Fromeco regulators, with HD wire and Deans connectors with 3 output leads
8 5955 Hi-Tech servo's
1 standard throttle servo, JR 537 I think
Tru-Turn Spinner, I don't know the size yet
I plan on using the hardware if useable

If there is some interest in this I will keep it up to date. Scott
Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
jsm77777

Default RE: Pacific Planes 35% Extra 260

I have received this plane, but due to no responses, it seems there is little interest for me to continue with this "build" thread. Scott
Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM
profile540

I would like to see your build looks like a cool plane.................especially with all the carbon fiber.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 AM
jsm77777

Overall, the quality of this plane is very good. The cowl paint is ok, it could be better, but it's very acceptable. The covering job is very good, and required very little work at ironing down is a few areas. The fit of all components is good, except the center bolt holes for the hatch don't line up. The hatch has front pins, and rear bolts which line up great, and the center bolts aren't really needed anyway. The quality of the hardware is nice, and it's all useable. From wheels, axles, fuel tank, pushrods with ball links, and servo hardware, it's all good. I like the fact that the carbon wing tube is around 43 inches long, and the tail tube is over 24 inches long. The canopy is glued on and painted, the cowling is pre-mounted, and all hinging is done. Only the rudder hinges need to be glued. I have only worked on it for about 5 hours total, and other than cutting the cowl for muffler clearance, and baffling, and hooking up the servo's, I'm basically done.

I would buy another Pacific Planes in the future. I know Rich has a few changes in the works, so they can only get even better. This plane is hard to beat in quality and value. I have seen ARF's where a lot of the accessories, and hardware is thrown out, since it's so cheap. Not this plane. I will post more when it's done, and flying. If anyone has any questions just post and I will answer them for you. I am not sponsored by Pacific Planes, although I would like to be, and will answer them based on what I see with this plane. Scott
Old 03-27-2007, 03:27 PM
eraser

I can't wait for the build thread! Let er rip.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
jsm77777

I worked on the plane today for about 6 hours, and it's almost finished. Fromeco made a small mistake on my regulators, and are sending me out the replacements tomorrow. All I need to do is mount the rx batteries, and regulators, and it's ready to test run the engine. After that, it will be ready to fly once I install all the graphics. Plane has been very easy to put together. Scott
Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Young-RCPilot

Any updates on the build?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 AM
jsm77777

Yes, airplane is finished, and I hope to test run the engine this week, then it's ready to fly. The weight came out at the advertised weight, which I think is good since I used 2 receivers and fully redundant set-up. With a DA-100 it will be nose heavy, so plan ahead. I wanted to mount my 2 rudder servo's in the rear of the fuselage. There is a spot for the servo's to be mounted, but there was no hardpoint in the rudder for the needed location of the horn. I think Rich is working on that for the next batch, so it shouldn't be a problem. I mounted my Rx batteries at the first bulkhead behind the cockpit, as that was as far as I could reach, and it still seems nose heavy. I will need to fly to find out for sure. It won't need much tail weight, though. Scott
Old 04-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If there isn't a hard mount for the rudder control horn, then how do you control the rudder?
I am also interested in this thread!
ORIGINAL: jsm77777

Yes, airplane is finished, and I hope to test run the engine this week, then it's ready to fly. The weight came out at the advertised weight, which I think is good since I used 2 receivers and fully redundant set-up. With a DA-100 it will be nose heavy, so plan ahead. I wanted to mount my 2 rudder servo's in the rear of the fuselage. There is a spot for the servo's to be mounted, but there was no hardpoint in the rudder for the needed location of the horn. I think Rich is working on that for the next batch, so it shouldn't be a problem. I mounted my Rx batteries at the first bulkhead behind the cockpit, as that was as far as I could reach, and it still seems nose heavy. I will need to fly to find out for sure. It won't need much tail weight, though. Scott
Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM
jsm77777

There is a hard point for the rudder, and it's set up for the pull-pull cables. But, if you want to mount the servo's in the rear of the fuse, you need to mount the servo's with the servo arm down, and that would put the horn near the bottom of the rudder, and the pull-pull hardpoint is located too far up to use. You can't mount the servo's with the arm up, as it will hit the stab. Like I said, I think Rich is addressing this on the next run of ARF's. It's not a big deal at all, and I like the cleaner look of having the servo's inside the fuse. There are 2 servo cut-outs in the fuse for the pull-pull rudder servo's and they supply the ball links, rods, and cables to gang the two servo's together. Scott
Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Im glad to hear you were nose heavy. I plan on getting one in the next few weeks and will wait for the da 85 to be released early next month. shooting for 25 lbs on a 35% bird. 1 battery 1 RX 2 switches and a single 8711 pull pull on rudder should do it with the weight of the 85
Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all a build thread needs pictures for anyone to be interested. Second, this plane looks like a rip from Aeroworks, which makes people more less interested.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Maybe you should do some research, the only thing similar to the Aeroworks is the scheme. The construction is entirely different, and so are the specs. From what I've read, the scheme is different on the next run of planes.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
jsm77777

I haven't posted pictures, since assembling these airplanes are a cinch. This is not like building an airplane from scratch or a kit, so pictures aren't needed. If you want pictures, go on Pacific Planes web site, and download the manual, and there is plenty of pictures to see. Also, this is NOT a rip off of Aeroworks, just a simlar covering scheme. Plane is slightly narrower, and has 100 squares more wing area. Just don't slam something you know nothing about. If your not interested fine, as I don't feel like dealing with negative people. Scott
Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ncrego, I am not trying to bash, but as a consumer, I have the right to express my feelings on this product. When two products look very similar, especially in this day and age of intellectual property rip-off, it is easy to make the comparison. At first glance both the Pacific Planes Yak and the Extra look just like the Aeroworks products and I am sure other consumers feel the same.

Regarding the pictures, they are helpful for others who have the plane and are building it as well. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

It seems like anytime you have China involved as the manufacturer all rules go out the door, and I think anyone who imports their airplanes from China knows this and has to be willing to take this risk.

As far as pictures, I also would like to see some. Attempting to understand what someone is trying to put into words is easier with pictures and I think we all would be more interested with pictures.

ORIGINAL: riotgear

ncrego, I am not trying to bash, but as a consumer, I have the right to express my feelings on this product. When two products look very similar, especially in this day and age of intellectual property rip-off, it is easy to make the comparison. At first glance both the Pacific Planes Yak and the Extra look just like the Aeroworks products and I am sure other consumers feel the same.

Regarding the pictures, they are helpful for others who have the plane and are building it as well. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Rich M.

Scott,

I'll post a picture of my rudder for thread and it will be from the manual and as
I have mine now. I have 10 flights on the plane. The difference on mine is that I put
like old rocket city harware that has another number now even though new, with 3" turn buckles.
No problem at all. As in the wood caving in on rudder.And no squeeze marks as in Hardware nuts are to tight. There is another gentleman on the thread I'm sure wants to see this.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
SMALLFLY-

So are you saying it might be wise to glue in a dowel before drilling for the rudder bolt. Not following that last post very well
Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

due to no responses, it seems there is little interest
I bet some pictures would help.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 AM
jsm77777

Like I have said before, there are plenty of pictures on the PP web site. Download the assembly manual and you will see everything. No need for me to post pitures that show the same thing in the manual. There is nothing tricky about assembling an ARF. Scott
Old 04-13-2007, 08:03 AM
xtreem3d
My Feedback: (1)

rich's prototype came out slightly nose heavy , for now they just added a little tailweight and it flies good. rich understands the scheme's were similar to AW and has made changes to the next run. i believe there may be some new planes coming out but i don't have rich's permission to say exactly what they are . for people looking to get into a 30-35%er these planes (yak/extra)are as good a deal as you can find at this point in time. rich was just by the house the other day talking about some potential new stuff, should be an exciting summer @ pacific planes !!!!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Pacific Planes

Hey Scott, glad you like the plane. I am looking forward to see a couple of your flights. I have only heard good things about your flying. I noticed this thread and wanted to post the link for those of you that are interested in seeting some of the pictures of the build. http://www.pacificplanes.com/images/EXTRA260MANUAL.pdf . Take care all, thanks for your interest.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Rich M.

Here is a picture of how rudder is at present time.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Scott just trying to help.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 AM
SMALLFLY-

What size spinner looks good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.