Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Great Planes Pitts

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 03:36 AM
JSZ
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Pitts

I recently have decided to buy one after the article in MAN. I reserched and found some problems dating back to earlier this year. I can only assume that they have been worked out and there are no further problems to date. I also would like to try that Fuji 50 engine on her so I would like some feedback on that as well as far as starting by hand, reliability, mounting, etc. Thanks, Johnny
Old 12-19-2002, 11:14 AM
teefly-RCU

I purchased my gp pitts about 2 months ago. After reading the "tech alerts" on the gp website, like you, could only hope the fixes were in place and that the plane was new stock in the vendors inventory. bought it from tower by the way. the cabanes were the new gelcoated ones, so right out of the box I felt better about the decision to buy it. i opened the center section of the top wings as per the "tech alert" on the cabane attachment clip screws being centered in the mount and they were dead in the center as it should be. I crosspinned the firewall as recommended in the "gas engine application tech alert". so far the plane has been a honey and well worth the money. Is this your first gasser? have fun!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:13 PM
JSZ
My Feedback: (73)

Default Pitts

No its not my first gasser but my first on a ARF. I know so much has been documented about this plane I just wanted something more recent. From what I know there's been more positive than neg. I think I'm an seasoned flyer, been flying giant warbirds and IMAC planes for many years now and just wanted a sport plane that looked good and could get into the air relatively soon. I think I'm going to give it a try, thanks for your reply, JSZ
Old 12-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A nice post and exchange of information guys. You two exemplify what responsible modeling is all about....doing your own research and forming an opinion based on your own experience and judgement.

There seems to be a component on the internet today that spends it's time bashing, carping and whining about the "unperfect" kit or ARF on which they had to do a little fixing.....or blaming a magazine review for not telling the truth about a missing screw.

A local modeling friend has the GP Pitts, thought nothing about having to do the modifications, and absolutely loves the plane. He has encountered none of the gripes listed by others and has flown the snot out of it since acquiring one of the early kits.

He is a long time modeler who appreciates the quality, price and flyability of this ARF.

Go enjoy it.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:55 PM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

Dick, you make it sound like I imagined the problems I've had. Gee, I better go check and make sure I didn't dream it all.

There are more than enough people that have had a number of quality issues. I tell my story, not to bash GP, who have been quite helpful, but to maybe prevent someone from throwing their $400+ down the toilet because of a quality problem.

I would love to get one of the newer kits and open it up to see exactly what has been fixed.

Craig.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:15 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Please don't misunderstand my comments. There can be and are quality issues with some kits within a batch. I have had my own with various ARFs but none to a level of "piling on to a posted complaint".

Most manufacturers will do what they can to satisfy a customer so my position has always been (1) advise them of any genuine problems you have with the kit, (not issues you disliked), (2) If it really is a box of junk (not just an opinion) seek a refund or replacement, and (3) once it is settled move on and enjoy the results.

ARF's have spoiled many folks to the point they whine about any little issue. True many are RCers who have never built anything from a kit so they have no idea what a time and cost saver the ARFs are. Many builders have forgotten that too (I see it locally).
Old 12-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Go ahead Dick get em straight ! If arfs are so bad maybe they should try to build their own. Real RC enthusiast build their own.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:24 PM
teefly-RCU

By the way, this was my first arf. Been building and flying for over 25 years. I have used GP products since the company started and liked the products and services. The Pitts has always been one of my favorite planes, so when they came out with it I decided then and there I'd buy one. I' am an engineering consultant for manufacturing so I ALWAYS wait until a few production runs before spending on anything. First runs are nothing more than feasability runs to work the bugs out of any product. That is the real world. Personally didn't mind the piddling needed to check-out the tech alerts. Let's call it "getting to know your plane time"! Compared to the time-effort required to actually build, it really ain't spit. have fun