Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Back into R/C Planes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:12 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Back into R/C Planes

The WH 260 has like 1760 and is really more for an 80cc single! I just over power it. Bill flew his on a 3W 75 just fine. You guys running the 80cc singles are you using cans and such?

I think any brand 260 or Yak would fly awesome! The yak has the advantage of downline breaking with that hoss of a round cowl.

Servos and batts. are all up to your budget:

5945's work well for this size or 5955. If you like JR go with 8611A's which are overkill and 1oz heavier than the Hitecs. Lion battery and regs are available from so many different sources.

Checkout many different places for servos. Many have good discounts if you buy a package deal of like 4 servos or more. Aluminum arms are good security for doing 3D. Same goes for battery and regulator setups. A lot of money saving deals to be had as well.

Some ARF's come with awesome hardware to include linkages. CF linkages are another good way to go to save weight.

Your choice of plane and engine will keep you in your budget. Man that 3W is such a bargain!

The hardest part of spending money on these is the dork factor. Every plane has en expiration date
Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

You might want to try either the WH Extra 260 or MX 2 or Aeroworks Extra 260 with a DA 100. The power and torque of a twin in a hover is so much nicer. Dont get me wrong, the new light 80 singles are nice but they cant touch a twin for torque which is nice in a hover. That being said the 80's like the ZDZ, 3W, EVO are very nice and cheaper.

Like everyone says, its a toy so if it gets dorked then it sucks. Forget brands, fly a friends 33-35% plane with a twin like DA, BME, ZDZ whatever and you will feel the difference.
While I totally agree with you about the twins, there's no way he's going to put together a 33-35% size model with a twin and stay within his listed price range.

Just a thought...
Old 05-30-2006, 10:22 PM
airborneSGT

Depends on if you buy all new or some used. If I can get a RTF 40% for $2k then its more than possible to get a 35% rtf near that.

The great thing about the 80cc singles is they make the cost of a 33% really close to that of a well put together 28% and fly SO much better!

I have seen the AM 33% Yak fly on the 80cc single and it was way cool. I dont know why this didnt become more popular. My old club president did everything 3D with his H9 cap that had the older ZDZ 80. I just wonder how much smoother the new big singles are. The twins seem to be smoother.

I am not trying to promote any which way to go. Just pointing out to stay within a budget there are many ways to go. Its a hobby, there is no wrong or right! Whichever way you go is the right way.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

The WH 260 has like 1760 and is really more for an 80cc single! I just over power it. Bill flew his on a 3W 75 just fine. You guys running the 80cc singles are you using cans and such?

I think any brand 260 or Yak would fly awesome! The yak has the advantage of downline breaking with that hoss of a round cowl.

Servos and batts. are all up to your budget:

5945's work well for this size or 5955. If you like JR go with 8611A's which are overkill and 1oz heavier than the Hitecs. Lion battery and regs are available from so many different sources.

Checkout many different places for servos. Many have good discounts if you buy a package deal of like 4 servos or more. Aluminum arms are good security for doing 3D. Same goes for battery and regulator setups. A lot of money saving deals to be had as well.

Some ARF's come with awesome hardware to include linkages. CF linkages are another good way to go to save weight.

Your choice of plane and engine will keep you in your budget. Man that 3W is such a bargain!

The hardest part of spending money on these is the dork factor. Every plane has en expiration date

5945= 1.97 oz's
5955= 2.18 oz's
8611 a= 2.24 oz's

How is the jr 1 oz heavier
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
airborneSGT

I stand corrected! They are .27 more than the 5945. Now thinking of AUW when you get over 4 of them it might make a difference! Perhaps you might with all 8 servos in a 33% setup...lol.

You will more than likely have more weight in extensions and such!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:28 AM
lithiumstatic

How many channels minimal do I need to have?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:15 AM
DENNIS C

ORIGINAL: lithiumstatic

What kind of radio gear do you have ?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:52 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Minimum is 4 channel and a bunch of Y-harnesses, but about 3% of people get that chinsey when it comes to planes of this size. If you are a JR guy, the best all-around is the 9303(9 channel). If you dig futaba, then the 9CAP or ZAP is a good intermediate radio.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought you said you already have a nice tx and rx?

Bodywerks is correct in that four channels is usually the listed minimum number but is not really adequate for the size model you're talking about. You'll usually use separate channels for both the elevators and ailerons, then there's one more needed if you use a servo for the choke, then you'll probably want at least one extra slot for power input depending on whether or not you choose to go redundant with the rx power supply, etc...

Perhaps it would be better if you told us what rx you have as Dennis C suggested, and then you might get some better suggestions on whether or not it will work depending on how you choose to set it up...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:06 AM
airborneSGT

You are going to want a nicer radio for a nicer plane. Not saying that you NEED it, but it will help you manage your plane much better. I fly the JR 9303 heli with synth module. This gives me everything I need for planes and helis.

If you like Futaba try the 9C. Myself I flew both and really enjoy the JR for ease of use and program features. To give you an idea this past monday I setup my friends 35% plane in my radio (he flies JR also and we didnt have a DSC cord) in about 5-10 mins tops. Flew great! The nice thing about the JR is it breaks down your plane into right elevator half, left elevator half and the same for ailerons and such.

Let us know what you have now and we can make good pointers. We were ALL there before. Trust me my first leap into giant scale was with a Futaba 6 channel tx and rx. Needless to say the 9C made it better and now the JR 9303 does everything I need. It was a pain with that 6 channel rig because you had to use Y's and servo rev. ect. The better radios from ANY brand allow you to plug in your servos directly and not use any Y's thus making your setup much easier to manage.

Just look around and you can see complete RTF packages for under $3k including a good JR, Futaba, or Hitec TX and rx.
If you are going to invest in a new plane or new to you, then at least give yourself some nice tools in the form of any brand radio which can allow you much more enjoyment.

If you choose to fly IMAC or 3D or even just for sport - the ability to mix out a planes tendancies, have triple rates, expo., end point adjustments, ect. will make it so much easier on you.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
lithiumstatic

I have a JR XP6102 with a JR 770RX. I use this on my Raptor50 and Blade CP, I really enjoy it. I know people with radios with more channels and like to talk smack about mine but it works very nice for my current application. I was wondering with all those servos it takes to run a big plane like this how is this going to work? My old planes (that are 65" wings or less) it uses 1 servo per channel.

Let me also give you guys a litle background about my R/C Airplane experiance. I flew airplanes from about 1985 - 1988 and learned how to take off, fly around and land in about 6 weekends. I took to it like duck to water. I flew planes with my father and learned from him. He flew planes from 1956 - 1991. He bought a real Cessna 182 in 1991 and has been preocupide with it to say the least. I asked him the other day, "Dad if we sell all 12 of our little planes that we have collecting dust and buy one nice large scale Extra, would you still know how to fly one?" Without hisitation he said "No problem". So that led me here to ask questions. These large planes are so nice compared to the little ones of yesterday. I don't know how many hours we spent building but it's a lot I know and none of them were as light weight and nice as these ARF's of today.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Bob_S

A 6102 will do fine. That is what I was using. One channel each for throttle, elevator, rudder and a kill switch. Two channels for the ailerons. You can (a lot of ppl do) replace the kill switch with a choke servo. The 2 elevtator servos are on a Y cable. I used 2 batteries and regulators and plugged them into the 2 remaining ports on the receiver (same as yours also).
Old 05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Hasn't flown in 14yrs, I wouldn't sink all my ducks into one large one. Get something or use one of your little ones for a refresher. Then get a nice big one to fly.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Ki0qm, didn't you end up programming your hitecs though on the elevators to get exact equal throws? I guess one could use a matchbox back there, too.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
lithiumstatic

My Dad says he can handle it but I'm going to get someone to come over and help us the first flight. We live out in a large 36 acre field and the strip is just in front of our house. We have a nice wind sock out there too. My dad eats, sleeps and breaths airplanes.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Bob_S

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

Ki0qm, didn't you end up programming your hitecs though on the elevators to get exact equal throws? I guess one could use a matchbox back there, too.
Yeah. I used the programmer for all of the surfaces actually. You'd either have to program them or use a matchbox.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 PM
airborneSGT

The matchbox is going to be a good way to go. That or the equalizer from smart fly. On dual elevator setups it can be hard at times to get it perfect. The 6102 is a good radio. It doesnt have all you need, but probably enough for about the size you want. You could probably swing a 1/3rd scale.

The thing that surprised me about the Cessna 182 was how much you can slow that sucker down. Man that wing has got some lift! The airport here is fun in that it has a highway on either end of the runway. Really motivates you to get things right.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:11 PM
lithiumstatic

They have a lot of lift! Have you tried landing with 20 degrees flaps? It makes for a smoother landing.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:06 PM
lithiumstatic

I want a giant airplane so damn bad I can't stand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Selling everything in the house if it's not bolted down.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:03 AM
airborneSGT

Ha ha! I am prolly going to be doing the opposite at some point to fund a full scale Pitts project. Im telling you man look for some good deals to be had and save a bunch of money. I really liked the Aeroworks 35% Extra that I flew. My friend got a great deal on it and it does 3D very well.

Just wait to save and get the setup you want. Its good to try a few different planes if you get a chance to help you choose.

Good move on getting some help. I think I might cry if I dorked a 35% plane on its maiden.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:06 AM
lithiumstatic

Ok guys this is what I found 31 miles from my house. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=198289

I called the guy and he said he would hold it until Saturday so I can drive over and look at it. Do you guys think it's worth the money?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 AM
DENNIS C

Looks like a good deal...do the math
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 AM
airborneSGT

Dude there you go! Awesome plane, engine, and gear! Good deal too! Very nicely packaged although kinda high, but worth it. Go over it with a fine toothed comb and bring a flying buddy.

Plus you can use the 8611A's in a larger plane someday! I would say go for it man. The DA 100 is really reliable and powerful. That plane will take you to IMAC and 3D land no problem.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:17 AM
torqmeister

Jeremy, I wanted to finish the thread before I chimed in. The gentleman selling that Extra 330 in Henderson is a friend of mine, & I was going to suggest you call him. I san attest that he has at least $4,500 in that plane. He is a real good IMAC/3D pilot, & is moving up to 40% stuff. The plane has only about 12 flights on it, I have seen all of them. It is a great flying airplane. All the stuff in it is brand new with this build. I even got to watch him build some of it, he's a good builder too. If you have any questions on this plane, Or anything associated with the hobby, give me a call @ 903-724-4700. Happy to find another local flyer. BTW, I do most of my flying at the field in Tyler.

Ok guys this is what I found 31 miles from my house. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=198289

I called the guy and he said he would hold it until Saturday so I can drive over and look at it. Do you guys think it's worth the money?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 AM
torqmeister

I would buy this plane myself, but I have 3 Extreme Flight 87" Yaks to go through before I can consider more R/C stuff. I also have a 30% Ultimate to finish.

Paul Claeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.