Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Back into R/C Planes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:50 PM
lithiumstatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back into R/C Planes

Hi guys!

I've been out of R/C flying for many years and want to get back into it. I want to get a giant aircraft 1/4 or 1/3. Who makes the best ARF kits nowdays?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Bob_S

Default RE: Back into R/C Planes

How much do you want to spend total? Nitro or gasoline? What types of planes/fying interests you?
Old 05-29-2006, 02:51 PM
YNOT

Surf the threads for a few days, I am sure you will be able to narrow down the choices a bit.

One piece of advice. You get what you pay for.

There is "the best" if you are willing to pay for it. For a toy. That is going to crash.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:20 PM
lithiumstatic

I do want to keep my first plane around $2,000-$2500 I already have a nice TX and RX. What kind of plane? Scale. I really like the Extra 300 type of planes. I like flying very maneuverable planes with lots of power. I've used glow engines in the past but would now like to try gas. I just don't want to get burned and buy some junk kit. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
lithiumstatic

Is Ultracoat better than Monokote?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:40 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Is Ultracoat better than Monokote?

Thats a good one.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:48 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Tom at wildharerc.com has some decent plane's for the money.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
DENNIS C

sorry double post

Old 05-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Dr1Driver

Who makes the best ARF kits nowdays?

Nobody.

Dr.1
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

There are dozens of 50 cc size planes in the 28%-30% size range. I could list some, but I would surely miss some of the top notch ARFs out there. You can get a real nice set-up for the money you're talking. You'll spend $400 to $670 for the nice ARFs out there. For $700, you can get a complete engine and muffler any of the best 50cc-60cc engines out there. Spend what you need to get good servos. The best ones are around $100 each. You can do it for less, but don't skimp, you'll always have the best and you won't have to upgrade.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:16 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

You are going to find that there are problems with all of them, but some have less problems than others. If you're looking for an Extra, your best bet for quality and performance at a decent weight would be Aviation Models. Wildhare makes cheap ARF's but you get what you pay for. And stay away from the Great Planes Patty Wagstaff ARF and H9 260 if you're looking to get into a 50cc gasser. I am sure I will get flack for this, but in my experienced opinion they are both too small for a 50cc engine and will end up with a high wingloading, which makes flying harder in several aspects of aerobatics, as well as landing, and high-speed stalls get scary.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:27 PM
DENNIS C

LOL....You have an opinon about everything.

I have to agree with Dr1 driver
Old 05-29-2006, 10:41 PM
SU-13
My Feedback: (1)

ALL THE PLANES ARE GOOD
Old 05-29-2006, 11:37 PM
lithiumstatic

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

You are going to find that there are problems with all of them, but some have less problems than others. If you're looking for an Extra, your best bet for quality and performance at a decent weight would be Aviation Models. Wildhare makes cheap ARF's but you get what you pay for. And stay away from the Great Planes Patty Wagstaff ARF and H9 260 if you're looking to get into a 50cc gasser. I am sure I will get flack for this, but in my experienced opinion they are both too small for a 50cc engine and will end up with a high wingloading, which makes flying harder in several aspects of aerobatics, as well as landing, and high-speed stalls get scary.
Anyone got a link to Aviation Models?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 AM
bodywerks

http://www.toc1.com/index.html
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Bob_S

Wildhare makes cheap ARF's but you get what you pay for.
I disagree with my buddy here. I have a WH Extra and like it. For every ARF out there you can find some really bad experiences and some people that love them. From what I've seen WH has no more or less problems than anyone else.

And stay away from the Great Planes Patty Wagstaff ARF and H9 260 if you're looking to get into a 50cc gasser.
For sure. All of these and the goldbergs are way too small in the wing area.

www.wildharerc.com
www.aero-works.net
www.troybuildmodels.com (he carries several planes from different companies)

Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Nobody has asked this yet. How long has it been since you flew a model? What type of flying did you do? Deep thought here. "How experienced were you". Do you really want to start with a $2500 ARF or maybe something that will get you going again. These big planes really fly good, and easier then the smaller counter parts but I hope you will get some help with them.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
DENNIS C

ORIGINAL: ki0qm

Wildhare makes cheap ARF's but you get what you pay for.
I disagree with my buddy here. I have a WH Extra and like it. For every ARF out there you can find some really bad experiences and some people that love them. From what I've seen WH has no more or less problems than anyone else.

And stay away from the Great Planes Patty Wagstaff ARF and H9 260 if you're looking to get into a 50cc gasser.
For sure. All of these and the goldbergs are way too small in the wing area.

www.wildharerc.com
www.aero-works.net
www.troybuildmodels.com (he carries several planes from different companies)

LOL......I didn't think he had any friends
Old 05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
bodywerks

Ha! You're a funny one, Dennis! Probably just like you (or not!), I come off like an a-hole in the forums sometimes, but I am really a nice guy in person[sm=tongue.gif]
Bob, what about your bent aileron? and the weight? and the snapping tendancy it has? And you have to admit, WH planes are just about the ugliest of the bunch!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Bob_S

Bob, what about your bent aileron? and the weight? and the snapping tendancy it has? And you have to admit, WH planes are just about the ugliest of the bunch!
The over-sanded LE aileron... isn't a big deal to me really. Just makes for a gap i had to tape. I never asked for a replacement. I know Adam was freaking out about it.

I thought the weight was awesome. 17.75 lbs with the Evolution 58GX and under 17 w/CF. Tom seems to do pretty good on his weights. I mean wit the 58 engine (which is a pound heavier than a DA50) I still came in within his advertised weight range.

Snapping I think could be stab incidence. I haven't checked it yet but I have seen others talk about that on WHs. I'm also pushing the CG back quite a bit which adds to that.

Ugly???? PaLEASE!!! This from a guy that flies a QQ! Talk about fugly. Seriously though, looks are so personal. I actually like the WH and hate the QQ schemes.

But this just points out what I said first. Bodywerks would never buy a WH where as I on the other hand would have zero issues with buying more.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:14 PM
DENNIS C

I have a wildhare 33% 260 on the table and the build looks pretty good compared to SOME other's out there. and it's light also Bodywerks
Old 05-30-2006, 04:15 PM
DENNIS C

Ha! You're a funny one, Dennis! Probably just like you (or not!), I come off like an a-hole in the forums sometimes, but I am really a nice guy in person[sm=tongue.gif]

LOL...Yea probably
Old 05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
lithiumstatic

You guys have all been very helpful. I'm leaning towards this configuration.

Aviation Models Extra 260 33%
3W-80xi

What do you guys think? Can you give me a run down down on other parts needed to complete this aircraft?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

You might want to try either the WH Extra 260 or MX 2 or Aeroworks Extra 260 with a DA 100. The power and torque of a twin in a hover is so much nicer. Dont get me wrong, the new light 80 singles are nice but they cant touch a twin for torque which is nice in a hover. That being said the 80's like the ZDZ, 3W, EVO are very nice and cheaper.

Like everyone says, its a toy so if it gets dorked then it sucks. Forget brands, fly a friends 33-35% plane with a twin like DA, BME, ZDZ whatever and you will feel the difference.

The argument with the singles is they come out lighter. If you build right they come out the same weight as my twin setup and I like the extra torque.

In the end, its a hobby and whatever works best for you! Planes need not be new to kick butt. I recently flew my friends Aeroworks Extra that was 5 years old. I re-built it for him with all new servos and lightened it up. It does harriers, hovers, and rolling harriers sweet. The best part is it floats like a feather. There are many good to go used airframes out there that with a little tlc are great for 3D and still float and best of all are light on your wallet. I just got a 40% RTF for $2k.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: lithiumstatic

You guys have all been very helpful. I'm leaning towards this configuration.

Aviation Models Extra 260 33%
3W-80xi

What do you guys think? Can you give me a run down down on other parts needed to complete this aircraft?

Thanks.
That would be an ideal choice. My buddy built their 33% Yak and didn't get too crazy about trying to save weight and he came in at 22 pounds on the nose. Of course, that was without smoke or wheelpants and he went with Kavan wheels.
From what I understand, you can get a killer combo deal from www.cactusaviation.com

AirborneSGT, we are talking about a plane with 95" or less wingspan and only around 1600-1700 squares - this is specifically designed around the 80cc singles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.