Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

29% AIR WILD Extra 260 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29% AIR WILD Extra 260 ?

Am considering the purchase of a 50cc extra 260 and have not seen any feedback or threads concerning the Air Wild Extra. They have other good products but have never seen any of these planes out anywhere.

Thanks for any feedback: Dale

http://www.airwildhobbies.com/MoreIn...&level=2&id=43
Old 06-10-2006, 12:02 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 29% AIR WILD Extra 260 ?

There is a thread but I think it was started by someone at Airwild. You are correct, there is not much out there on what appears to be a very nice light weight ARF. I'd like to see more too.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Zeeb

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I actually think there are two threads, both started by either AirWild or one of their pilots.

I asked this question in a thread I started some weeks ago after AW started shipping, and only got replies from the AW folks. They seem nice enough and I think product support would be okay based on my exchanges with them, but I want to see some user reports and especially the RTF weights. So far I think there is only one guy who posted about assembling his and it's on one of those two threads.

Maybe there are some more of them out there by now and you'll get a better response than I did...
Old 06-10-2006, 04:20 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I emailed them and they never responded to me!
Old 06-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Bob101

I've seen a few post on other boards and a lot of people are scared off by the non counter balanced elevators I believe.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:11 PM
DeadAccount237939

I wrote/took pictures for the original two threads on RCU, but have since given the airplane back to Jerry. I put a few flights on it and can speak intelligently about what it can do. To address some of the comments here, the best way to get a hold of Jerry is to call AW and speak with him. I am sure he will apologize for the non response to the email, i know how frustrating that can be.

As far as the elevator not being cb'ed....there was a gentleman who LOOKED at the airplane in Toledo and decided he needed more surface area. Obviously, that's his choice, but having flown the airplane I know firsthand that it has ample surface area for any 3d manuever.

One thing to keep in mind is that the actual number of buyers who are on RCU is probably just a fraction - I would guess one out of fifty or maybe even a hundred. As a result, there may not be the traffic that some of you are looking for, especially with a new airplane. That being the case, you might consider calling Jerry and asking him if he could put you in touch with other customers. Otherwise, I will try to answer any queries.

The easiest thing for you would be to find an excuse to come to So Cal so you could spend a few minutes on the sticks....

Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Zeeb

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: AWS

The easiest thing for you would be to find an excuse to come to So Cal so you could spend a few minutes on the sticks....

Paul
That's a generous offer, but the way the model fly's in Southern California won't have much to compare with the way it will fly here at 4500 ft. ASL.

All up weight is crucial around here and it seems to me that very few if any of the various manufacturer's products make the advertised weights. That's why I for one, am really interested in seeing what production models put together by various users come out weighing, even then you have to take what some say with a grain of salt...
Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 PM
PowerPlay
My Feedback: (11)

Paul

I'll take you up on the offer to see and fly the plane. I am looking to buy a 50 cc 260 in the very near future and the Airwild 260 is on my short list, but I'm not going to buy one until I see it up close and personal. Are you going to fly it tomorrow the 11th? , do you fly at the Corona field? I don't fly there but I know where it is.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 10:35 AM
DeadAccount237939

Power....jerry has the airplane so I would need to coordinate with him to get you on the sticks. There are two fields in Corona, I don't care for either one. Prado is close (abuot 91 and 71) and is better suited. PM me and we'll see what we can do. thanks for your interest.

P
Old 06-11-2006, 03:04 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello AWS and thanks for your replys. Will you please list all components that were installed during the build. I know you used the DA 50R but I would like to know specifics about the number and type of servos, number and type of batteries, switches, reciever, other electronics, size of fuel tank, any fuel dots, prop, ect....so that we can have a better idea of what our plane will weigh with different/similar equiptment. Seems really light for the size.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:45 PM
DeadAccount237939

okay, J here goes. there is nothing unusual about the build - just careful consideration of keeping it light. Simple things like tailwheels, spinners, batteries, and props can add/remove a lot of weight. I think the weight claims of under 15lbs are honest, but to get there requires attention to components used. Spinner and prop choice can add over 1/4lb to finished weight, as can tires, or using large batteries. And if one was willing to be really anal, you could probably get it down another 1/4lb without going nuts - use 4 cell packs, cut a hole in the top of the engine box, use nylon for wheel collars where possible, and small tailwheel. For those of use who look at the weights as being optimistic, look at the construction photos - the extra uses a single ply side for the fuse, the rear deck is hollowed, and the canopy is small. Yaks, by comparision, use a lot more construction to achieve their shape, and the size of the cowl alone drives up the finished weight. Hope this helps...

Engine/ DA 50 with stock standoffs and DA muffler
batteries: 2 cermak 5 cell 1700 Nickel metal
switches: 2 cermark heavy duty switches
connectors: all AW 22 guage
Servos: all (5) hitec 5945, except throttle which was a mini (mid size) hitec, not sure of the number. Throttle linkage was a blue/yello nyrod. I prefer the Sullivan carbon but didn't have any handy.
linkages: H9 titanium and Dubro 4/40 ball links. AW LP horns arms for servos.
tires: 3" Sullivan Sky Lites. My initial thoughts were that the tires were too small, but I went ahead and used them and they worked fine. If you are flying on grass, you might want to go a little larger.
spinner: AW Nova, lightened backplate - pix were posted. The lightened backplate alone saves a fair amount of weight.
Prop: AW wood, 22". About half the weight of a Mezjlik or other carbon props. I prefer the feel of wood in the air so that worked fine for me.
Tailwheel: Sullivan super light
Receiver: JR 950 (about twice as heavy as a 649!!)
H9 fuel dot
Dubro 160z tank

If someone wanted to use a redundant battery setup, they could add another switch, and use a lower Mah for the packs. The weight penalty might be a ounce or two, but not huge.

back to the garage...thanks for the interest gentlemen.

P
Old 06-11-2006, 04:03 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

That helps alot AWS. A lot of ARF's I have seen post all up weights and the prototype weights but when it comes to production models they seem to gain a couple a pounds. My Yak comes in at a robust 19.1 lbs, flies great but still has those heavy tendencies while trying to 3d and the verticle upline is more to be desired.

The Air Wild looks really good but would love to see one up close and fly one. We have an Imac event at our field on 7-22-06 and plan on attending the Shreveport event and then there are 3 or 4 in Texas after that we will go to. Maybe we will see one there.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 757Driver

I emailed them and they never responded to me!
757Driver, I not sure why AirWild never got your email. Jerry will be out for a little while but if you want I can try to answer any questions you may have.
The Extra 260 is a great flying airplane! You all should go check out the video of the Extra 260 we just got up on the site.

http://www.airwildhobbies.com/MoreIn...&level=2&id=43

Also we should have the video of the new 29% Edge 540T up shortly.

Jeffery Szueber Jr.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
JoeAirPort

Very nice video, that will sell a half dozen planes right there. Smart to get a good pilot to fly for the video. [8D]
Old 06-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Very nice video, that will sell a half dozen planes right there. Smart to get a good pilot to fly for the video. [8D]
Thanks! (That was me flying the plane in that video.) The airplane is a great flying airplane. 3D or IMAC It dose every thing so easy. If any one has any questions about the plane feel free to ask!
Jeffery Szueber Jr.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:32 PM
DeadAccount237939

Jeff...nice to finally see a video!!! was that the 260 that i built?

too bad the grass was mowed down...no way to do the jim porep "lawnmower"....

and for you imac folks...I was CDing the JR SCAT Series a few years ago when Jeff decided to move from F3A (FAI pattern) and give scale aerobatics a try. Flying a borrowed airplane that was supposed to be no longer competitive (35% Staudacher) in Unlimited, he went out and showed a lot of the old guard how to fly straight lines...and had a few of us judges scratching our heads.

He's a good guy to have on the other end of the phone when you are trying to sort things out.

P
Old 06-13-2006, 10:33 PM
JoeAirPort

So how did it harrier, no excessive wing rock? Any coupling in knife edge? Roll coupling in knife edge? Do tell anything that you think is good to know about the plane. Seemed like the rolling harriers were good. The pull out from hover was pretty good, was that the DA 50? Did you weigh it? Again nice job flying, it was a pleasure to watch.

ORIGINAL: Jeffery Szueber Jr.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Thanks! (That was me flying the plane in that video.) The airplane is a great flying airplane. 3D or IMAC It dose every thing so easy. If any one has any questions about the plane feel free to ask!
Jeffery Szueber Jr.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 AM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

ORIGINAL: AWS

Jeff...nice to finally see a video!!! was that the 260 that i built?

too bad the grass was mowed down...no way to do the jim porep "lawnmower"....

and for you imac folks...I was CDing the JR SCAT Series a few years ago when Jeff decided to move from F3A (FAI pattern) and give scale aerobatics a try. Flying a borrowed airplane that was supposed to be no longer competitive (35% Staudacher) in Unlimited, he went out and showed a lot of the old guard how to fly straight lines...and had a few of us judges scratching our heads.

He's a good guy to have on the other end of the phone when you are trying to sort things out.

P
Thanks for the kind words Paul. I remember that contest, you, Bill and Berry did such a great job running those contests!!! After I flew that first SCAT contest I had so much fun I knew this was more along the lines of what I had been looking for all along! Jim Porep is one of the coolest guys to watch 3D!!!!!
JoeAirPort
The airplane has almost no wing rock what so ever!!! I have about 2 percent knife-edge mixing between rudder and elevator and the same amount on the rudder to aileron. The airplane is the most maneuverable airplane I have ever flown at slow speed! Due to it's low weight. It is really a 3Ders dream to fly. The airplane has a DA 50 on a stock muffler and has lots of power. (As you can see in the video)
Jeffery Szueber Jr.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:17 PM
AJT

Just ordered mine!!
Thanks for all your help Jeff.
AL
Old 06-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Yak54Flyer

Nice video but will the paint match be that crappy on the production planes?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

ORIGINAL: AJT

Just ordered mine!!
Thanks for all your help Jeff.
AL
No Problem Al, I really enjoyed talking with you on the phone. Sounds like you are going to have a really nice airplane with the way you are going to set it up!

Yak54Flyer
No the paint matches on the production planes. If you look at Pauls (AWS) build thread on the 260 you will see that it dose.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:04 PM
RTK

Jeff,, do you think this plane can be balanced with a engine that weighs just over 2lbs?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

RTK
Hm... I am using a DA 50 in the one I am flying right now. (2.94 lbs) I moved my RX battery back behind the tube, and am running a Airwild NOVA spinner which has a lighten back plate, and the airplane is still a little on the nose heavy side. I have ZERO lead in the plane. With a motor that weighs a little over 2 pounds. ( I think) You are going to have to put all of your batteries, rx ect. as far forward as you can. and possibly run a spinner with a solid back plate. But if you do that I think you will be able to make the airplane balance. What motor is it that you want to run?
I hope I answered you question, If you have any more feel free to ask.
Jeffery
Old 06-16-2006, 08:07 AM
RTK

ORIGINAL: Jeffery Szueber Jr.

What motor is it that you want to run?
I hope I answered you question, If you have any more feel free to ask.
Jeffery
Thank you for the reply Jeff. The motor would be a BME55 that weighs about 2.1lbs.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:37 AM
DeadAccount237939

RTK...one of the reasons that the elev servos are in front of the stabs is to help balance the airplane with lighter engines like the 55. looking at the bme site, it looks like the 55 will need standoffs to achieve the same firewall to prop distance as the DA. rather than using aluminum or dowels, you could make them from ply which would add some nose weight. also, larger tires, carbon prop, unlightened spinner, maybe move the rudder servo a little farther forward, and batteries forward....i think you could balance it without relying on dead weight. the 55 looks good, should be a nice alternative to the DA.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.