Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Byron Staggerwing Balance point and control throw

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Byron Staggerwing Balance point and control throw

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 12:15 AM
Super Hot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Staggerwing Balance point and control throw

I am currently restoring a Byron Staggerwing, 1/4 scale. It will be powerd by a fuji 50 engine. Does anybody has any information about balance point and control throw? Any help would be welcome.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:27 PM
rcwacogeorge

The Byron Staggerwing is 1/5 scale. The instruction book says the CG should be 1/2" back from the leading edge of the upper wing. Recommended control throws are: 3/4" up and down for elevator, 3/4" up and down for aileron, and 1.5" left and right for rudder.
I have been flying a quadra 35 powered, 21 lb plane since about 1985. It is capable of mild aerobatics with this power. I have added a lot of differential aileron travel since the ailerons are on the top wing only and I experienced a lot of adverse yaw. The rigid landing gear requires precise and smooth landings...it is not forgiving and will bounce and porpoise on landing if one is sloppy in his landing technique. With your added power I would expect better rolling characteristics than mine has. It is a beautiful plane on a low pass with the gear tucked up!! Good Luck with your restoration.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Super Hot

Thank you for your reply.
I will give you my impressions after my flight test which will happen in the beginning of June. After early cg tests, my 22 pound airplane seems to balance correctly according to the information you gave me, without adding any weight.
Thank you again and have a happy flying year.

JJM