Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hostetler 25% Gee Bee R-2

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 01:49 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hostetler 25% Gee Bee R-2

I am in the final stages of finishing off my R-2 from Hostetler plans. Does anyone know if I need to add any right thrust or down thrust? The plans do not show any thrust angles anywhere. This model is tied closely to the Byron Originals Gee Bee, so if you have one of those maybe you can help too.

Also, what engine do you guys suggest. I have a used Quadra 52 sitting around with the old Byron muffler mount system. I think the plans show a 3W-60 or something similar. I know a lot of the Byron Gee Bees used the G-62. Will the Quadra be adequate or should I go with something in the 60-70cc range?

Thanks,
-Scott-
Old 01-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Newflee

Go to Wendell's webpage and email him. He'll answer all your questions promptly.

Lee
Old 01-06-2003, 02:35 AM
rcjock

VoughtF4U

What is the expected weight of your Gee Bee?

In talking to Henry Haffke, he advocates keeping the weight as low as possible, and NOT overpowering it. By that I think he means keep the thrust roughly equal to the weight, but I'm not entirely sure.

My R-1 will come out at about 18 lbs, and I too am looking for the right engine to power it.

Let us know of your decision.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 01-06-2003, 02:56 AM
VoughtF4U

Default Gee Bee Weight

Lee,

Thanks for the tip. For some reason it didn't even occur to me to try Hostetler. He emailed back in a couple of hours and said he uses no right or down thrust.

Joe,

Mine should come out weighing about 19 pounds. I was shooting for under 20 with the old Byron Purr power muffler mount system, but it was going to be too difficult to modify the firewall to make it fit. So I ordered a muffler from Bennet Built and it will save me a pound. I am going to cover the fuselage with Sig Koverall fabric and dope, and probably fiberglass/polycrylic the wings.

The fuselage is completed except mounting the servos. The wings are finished except for the final sanding of the tips. I am now just waiting on the covering to show up and expect to have it finished by the end of the month if I can get some decent weather for spraying the dope.

I am using Hitec 700 servos on each aileron and each elevator half. I am using a Hitec 705 on the rudder and a standard for the throttle and the engine kill switch. The servos I am using are very heavy, but I had them and I won't have to worry about stalling them out.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:26 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you put wash out in the wing tips????nice plane ,,bad habbits...careful with it...lost mine...
Old 01-10-2003, 12:16 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Bad Habits?

Cublover,

I put about three degrees of washout in it. What kind of bad habits did you experience with yours? I don't know of many people that have the Hostetler Gee Bee. Everyone seems to have the Byron which is about the same, and they say it takes off and flies great, just that landings are a pain.

I would like to hear how yours did so I know what to expect with this one. Thanks for any information you can provide.

-Scott-