Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Stinger 84" wing span question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Stinger 84" wing span question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:40 PM
rameleni1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinger 84" wing span question

I am building a Giant Stinger now. I have built a Stinger 1.20, and shortened the wings 8" for better performance. What is the minimum wingspan for this larger plane? I'm looking for someone who has done this, what their span was, and how their plane flys.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:43 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Stinger 84" wing span question

the stinger 120 was designed with two wingspans the one you are currently building does not but you can get an idea by figuring out how many rib bays you clipped the wing by.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:42 PM
lever02

Gee, never thought about clipping the wing, but the Stinger is a horse power sponge. You may want to consider a 100 cc twin. Worked well for me. heck, I may get out the saw....javascript:void(AddText(''))
javascript:void(AddText(''))
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 AM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

I am working on a Stinger 84 also. I have seen several stock Stingers with G 62 fly very well. Clipping the wing may increase the wing loading where the hovering and slow flight may suffer. The Stinger (KIT) is very heavy by today’s standards and was intended to be a trainer that could do anything. I have put my stinger on a diet and cut out the foam in the wing bays except the one that have the aileron servos in them. I also cut the fuselage out on the bottom and sides and added balsa stiffeners to the top from cracking. The fuse is next to my other G 62 project, AW Edge 540 31% finished weight less than 16 lbs. I am hoping to get the Stinger to 17 also. I am also having Rcignition.com lighten the G 62 and install electronic ignition, can save about 1 lb.

I was able to save 1 lbs with the cutouts.

Lanier has it weight at 14 lbs.... I never seen on that light, most are over 20 lbs. I would consider taking some weight off if you clip the wings. I think a light wing loading will make the Stinger less of a power hog. I also think the 84 inch Stinger has a lower aspect ratio wing than the 120 at 72 inches.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41992.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	497483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13328.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	497484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63963.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	497485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38319.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	497486  
Old 07-27-2006, 08:14 PM
3dsky

If you had a Stinger 120 with the 72.5 inch wing the Aspect Ratio is 4.3 and the 80 inch Aspect Ratio is 4.7

The Stinger (Giant) 84 inch wing has an Aspect Ratio of 4.4 so it is close to the clipped wing Stinger 120. I would think the handling would be close. But cutting the wing to 82 inches would give it an Aspect Ratio of 4.3. I would expect the performance would be the same, better if you are using a 60 to 75 cc gas engine.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
rameleni1

3dsky-fantastic job on the fuse. I also cutout the foam on the 1.20, and plan on doing so with the larger Stinger. Did you cut it out with a saw? That's what I did the first time. Your's looks much better than mine. I'm going to try the hot piano wire thing this time. I am also going to try transparent yellow monocote for the wings, and tail feathers. I have built about 25 planes so far, and like flying the Stinger the best. I totaled the 1.20 last year, and had to scratch build the fuse from the rear of the wing forward. It probably added 2 pounds. I have a g62 in it, with unlimited vertical, but it still flys like a brick. I am trying to build the new Stinger as light as possible. I'm thinking of cutting 5" off of each wing. With the think airfoil, and very large wing, I don't think it will be a problem. The 1.20 probably weighs more than the larger stinger does, and has a 72" wing now. It still lands very slow. I'm kicking this idea around now, not sure what I'm going to do. I could always cut the wing later... I'm still mad about losing the 1.20 in a crash. I was coming out of a high loop, full throttle, and had no up elevator. It hit so hard I bent the crank. Parts were scattered over a very large area. There was no flutter. When I brought the broken parts to the pits, all the electronics worked fine.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 PM
kingdom802
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys,
I have new unused set of plastics for the giant stinger that I would gladly get rid of for cheap. Let me know if anyone is interested.
L
Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 PM
3dsky

rameleni1, I used a Roto Zip with the wood cutting tip, I still have to sand the cutouts. I also used a round drum sander. I am also a Stinger fan but it is not a Extra or an Edge, that is why I am so slow in finishing the 84 inch one off.

Try the Lanier Laser 1/4 scale kit if you want a better plane, builds like a Stinger and at a good price. I have one in the box and I want to use a 40 or 50 cc. I will be cutting the Laser out also and I am not using any of the ply in the kit.

The thick airfoil and straight wing on the Stinger is a killer IMO. Wow a 120 Stinger with a G 62, what is the weight? I have flown a 120 on a G 38 at 15 lbs and it was IMO underpowered. I have flown a Stinger 84 at 20 lbs on with a G 62 and it was great in a hover and 3D. I am trying to get my 84 incher close to 17 lbs. so far the wing is at 3 lbs. the fuse with out gear is 2 lbs 3 oz.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:30 PM
rameleni1

I'm not sure of the weight of the 1.20 with the g62, I don't have a scale. I doubled the area from f2-f3 to mate the front of the plane after the crash. This is a overlap area to connect the front to the back. I couldn't think of anyway to repair this fuse without doing that. To order the fuse, and plastic parts from Lanier, would have cost more than the kit. It looks like a giant stick now. No turtle deck, canapy, fuel tank cover. I just sheeted everything so I could fly it while I build the giant. I have decided to go with the full length wingspan of 84". I could always cut it later. I did cut out the foam from the wing bays today. I bent some 1/16" wire to fit in my soldering iron. It took about 1/2 hour, but it worked, and looks fantastic. When I built the 1.20, I couldn't cut the hardspots for the tailstruts. I practiced on scrap, and everytime I tried, I crushed, or splintered the wood. I tried drills, brass tubes, nothing worked. I ended up sheeting the tail, and that's one of the area's that survived the crash. I am planning on doing the same with the 84" Stinger. What I am looking for with this plane is to be able to hover, and be able to pull out. I'm not going to be slamming the sticks with this plane. I am going to lighten the fuse. I have a 1" holesaw at work, and I'm going to try that out. I don't have the time to do what you did. I did drill out 5 1/2" holes on each side of the stock landing gear on the 1.20. I didn't have any problems with doing that.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:38 PM
3dsky

Sound like you are on the right track . I would not sheet the tail. I have seen the stock Stingers crash and the stock stab and rudder survived too. I cut out some 1/16 th contest balsa for the tail also and decided not to use them added to much weight.