Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Just recieved GP GIANT Extra 330l !!!

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Just recieved GP GIANT Extra 330l !!!

Old 05-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And another....

pic of finished installation:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78839_11422.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	28114  
Old 05-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Maudib

Default Awwwww heck...

and the finished plane too....

Name:	78840_11422.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	28115  
Old 05-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Maudib

Default And a little more ZDZ comments...

My Edge is 26.75 lbs all up and the ZDZ is running rich with a 26x8 Bambula prop... It still ahs LOTS of power, hovers around 3/4 trhottle for now.... and the enige (I'm told only gets hotter and hotter)

Vibration? NOT an issue... I hard mounted mine as instructed and when the low end needle is set, it just purrs with little vibration at all... And at a little over $600 sure seems like a PERFECT fit for a 24 lb. GP Extra.... Without a doubt I would HIGHLY recommend this engine...

(And no "cheek holes" to make room for twin spark caps)

Don't get me wrong... DA100's rock... I got one coming for a 28 lb Weeks Solution XX...
Old 05-16-2003, 02:57 AM
SloFlight-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default Just recieved GP GIANT Extra 330l !!!

Some more pics

SO Much more work to be done!!!

Name:	78898_10032.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	28116  
Old 05-16-2003, 02:58 AM
SloFlight-RCU

And Another......

Name:	78899_10032.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	28117  
Old 05-16-2003, 02:58 AM
SloFlight-RCU

Still another......

Name:	78901_10032.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	28118  
Old 05-16-2003, 03:00 AM
SloFlight-RCU

Last one for now!

Name:	78902_10032.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	28119  
Old 05-16-2003, 07:42 PM
BrianMorris

Looks great!
Did you outfit it with Rx and servos?
If so,what did you use?
When did you begin working on it?
Old 05-16-2003, 09:12 PM
SloFlight-RCU

Default In the bones

Right now, its just sitting in the bones....no hardware or servos or engine. I have 2 HS5945's, 4 HS5925's and a HS5735 for the rudder. I plan on a ZDZ80 for power, but am not opposed to finding a good used 3W or DA 100, my brother has the 3W on his H9 Sukhoi & its a very nice engine. I've been working on it off & on for the better part of 2 years. I just started covering it about 3 months ago.

I've got a running list of everything I still need to complete it & as it is right now, its about 1300.00 including a ZDZ80.

It's been fun. I've never built a plane of this size before (unless you count my attempt at a 1/3 Lanier Laser when I was 16...couldn't afford anything for it...so it never got finished).
Old 05-16-2003, 09:30 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Extra 300

HI all, I "m also building this kit too.I'm just about to cover the Extra now.I have a 3w 100 going in for power. The only changes I made where splitting the ailerons and using two servos, also using carbon fiber in the wing.
I"ll be using two receivers and three batteries, one receiver and battery in the tail and one receiver and battery at the wing for the ailerons and throttle and the third battery for the engine.
The only problem I always have is where to put the vent for the tank so the fuel won:t siphon out when inverted. It would be good to have a little pressure from the mufflers I think. What are the rest of you guys doing with the vent pipe .
Rcpete
Old 05-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: GP Extra 300

Originally posted by rcpete347
HI all, I "m also building this kit too.I'm just about to cover the Extra now.I have a 3w 100 going in for power. The only changes I made where splitting the ailerons and using two servos, also using carbon fiber in the wing.
I"ll be using two receivers and three batteries, one receiver and battery in the tail and one receiver and battery at the wing for the ailerons and throttle and the third battery for the engine.
The only problem I always have is where to put the vent for the tank so the fuel won:t siphon out when inverted. It would be good to have a little pressure from the mufflers I think. What are the rest of you guys doing with the vent pipe .
Rcpete

If I may, a word of advice, don't put muffler pressure on a gasser with the pump type carbs. I don't think you will find a problems when inverted since you don't normally stay that way very long and don't forget you are siphening fuel from the tank to the carb, which will prevent this a bit anyway.

Good luck..
Old 05-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Maudib

Default Re: Re: GP Extra 300

Originally posted by aerografixs
If I may, a word of advice, don't put muffler pressure on a gasser with the pump type carbs. I don't think you will find a problems when inverted since you don't normally stay that way very long and don't forget you are siphening fuel from the tank to the carb, which will prevent this a bit anyway.

Good luck..
Ditto on that... I asked that same questions a couple weeks ago...

The pump is pulling fuel thu the lines and out of the tank...

Air MUST come in to replace the fuel that is removed....

Fuel cannot go out both tubes at the same time...

Putting a pressure fitting or using the smoke fitting is just a catasrophe waiting to happen...

If for some reason the engine backfires pushing flames into the muffler.... - Kaboom...

In the air... or worse on the ground with you next to it...

You COULD have gas drainage if you handle the plane alot outside of right side up...

But when you handle the plane, just plug the vent line with a plug... (remember to take it off before starting it)

Others take their fuel line and make it go as low as it can, the turn upward as high as they can, then back down and out...

Basically making a "sinktrap"... but again, turing the plane upside down when handling it can work fuel thru the line...
Old 05-17-2003, 02:59 AM
GMM

Tim,

Thanks for the info. on the BME exhaust, that is what I wanted to hear.

Mordib,

Man your plane looks great, I love the color scheme. Is it monokote? I have not ruled the ZDZ 80 single out yet. How did you mount your engine, inverted or on its side. What kind of header did you use. Even though it is not an extra , could you post a picture of you engine installation with some shots of the header. I fly pattern planes, and I really enjoy the quiet mufflers on those. I want my gas planes to be just as quiet. The gasser I have now is pretty quiet, but I want to take it to the next level with the GP Extra.

Thanks
Greg
Old 05-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Maudib

Default ZDZ Header

Yes it's all Monokote... not as hard as it looks to do...

I mounted the ZDZ inverted and used the inverted header kit from RC Showcase. I did have to angle the canister a bit to allow for a "straighter" shot from the engine to the canister...

The header uses a flex pipe.

The combo is so quiet that even with NO other planes in the air.... on off idle power turns I can't hear it at all... I'm sure other canister setups are similar, but a guy who regulary flies and helps other who fly large gas planes was absolutely FLOORED over how quiet it was.

I'm trying desperately to put one in my upcoming Challenger III bipe with a ZDZ50... I WILL get it in there somehow...

Name:	79226_11422.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	28120  
Old 05-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Maudib

Default Another pic...

of the ZDZ 80 installation

Name:	79227_11422.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	28121  
Old 05-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Maudib

Default Pic 3

of the ZDZ install

Name:	79228_11422.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	28122  
Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Maudib

Default Pic 4

One last one...

Name:	79229_11422.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	28123  
Old 05-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Maudib

Default Recommendation

I still can't stress enough how much I can recommend the ZDZ80... I'm just T-total impressed with my experience with the engine and RC Showcase...

Also, if you all want some good "fodder" for scheme ideas, Wild Hare just conducted a design contest for a new Extra ARF he's bringing out...

I entered as well as seveal others, and there are some neat schemes to look at...

Finalists

and for others that didn't quite make it to the finals but look great:

Current Entries
Old 05-17-2003, 08:19 PM
BrianMorris

Very nice Morbid.
I am chomping at the bit to get mine finished.
Is yours a foam wing or built-up?
Old 05-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Maudib

Brian,

It's a foam wing....

I have a 35% extra kit on the shelf (the Hurley Extra from Model Aviation Magazine) that's a foam wing too...

It's funny how CLSOE you feel to being done when you get to covering, but how LONG it seems to take to get all the little things finished. Seems the anticipation grows as you go along...

Then when it IS done you are about half reluctant to fly it... Kindof like a release of building tension and a bit of first flight fears.

Whatever you do (and I'm sure you won't) DON'T rush anything... all the structural things COULD have been off a little bit with little to no relevance to the plane's ability...

But the hardware and setup... crucial...

Cross your I's and dot your T's... check and double check everything and the check it again... LockTite everything that even LOOKS like a screw....

Then after your first day's flights... take off the cowl and inpect everything AGAIN....
Old 05-17-2003, 11:37 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Default Re: Pic 4

Originally posted by Mordib
One last one...
hi where did you get that header for the zdz 80.

thanks dennis
Old 05-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Maudib

RC Showcase

carries the headers...
Old 05-18-2003, 02:27 AM
GMM

Mordib,

Thanks for the pics, that is exactly what I needed to see. Your set-up looks great. I'm in the process of cleaning out the shop to get ready to build the Extra. I should be getting to it in a couple of months.

Greg
Old 05-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Maudib

Greg:

Sweet.... well keep us all posted.

And remember.... the canister needs to have plenty air traveling over it and out thru the bottom of the fuse somewhere...

It also need some former or something to stop it from creeping back further. Air exit holes on the bottom of the cowl are MINIMIZED (just enough cutouts for the exhaust pipe and vent) in order to cause the airflow to seek the exit under the fuse. A small "spoiler" lip made of thin aluminum will also help alot in drawing air thru the tunnel.

Some preplanning here will make it MUCH easier(the plans help too, but I find it easier to understand... tack the first few formers together on a building board and make a mock canister out of rolled cardboard... figuring out how to cushion and mount the canister as well as cutting out the area in the formers it will pass thru. Would have been MUCH easier than having to fit it in AFTER it's built...

If you have any questions just ask... I am by no means an expert, but I consulted several during my installation.

Take care and Rock On!

Name:	79434_11422.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	28124  
Old 05-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by Mordib
Greg:

Sweet.... well keep us all posted.

And remember.... the canister needs to have plenty air traveling over it and out thru the bottom of the fuse somewhere...

It also need some former or something to stop it from creeping back further. Air exit holes on the bottom of the cowl are MINIMIZED (just enough cutouts for the exhaust pipe and vent) in order to cause the airflow to seek the exit under the fuse. A small "spoiler" lip made of thin aluminum will also help alot in drawing air thru the tunnel.

Some preplanning here will make it MUCH easier(the plans help too, but I find it easier to understand... tack the first few formers together on a building board and make a mock canister out of rolled cardboard... figuring out how to cushion and mount the canister as well as cutting out the area in the formers it will pass thru. Would have been MUCH easier than having to fit it in AFTER it's built...

If you have any questions just ask... I am by no means an expert, but I consulted several during my installation.

Take care and Rock On!
I have been there with the cannister installation, and I can tell you there is no heating problem. Here is how I installed them.
cannister install

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.