Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

More DA100 installation questions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

More DA100 installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More DA100 installation questions

Here are a few pics of my Da100 install. And here are my questions:

Pic 1,2,3,4 shows the choke lever from both sides of the carb. As you can see in the pic 1 and 2 the lever moves in a manner that necessiates the use of a bellcrank. Pics 3 and 4 show the same from the other side. Can someone show me how they rig up their bellcranks? How are others doing the choke lever, in case they DONT use a bell crank. Do you use a servo? where? how? The entire position is slightly odd and if I use a push rod to move the lever, it will be pointing vertically downwards, in line with the muffler exhaust.

Pics 5 and 6 show my "poorly" cut spinner. Is the gap between blade and metal too much? Will it cause problems in engine efficiency?

Pics 7 and 8 show the throttle servo. Is this a safe place to have a servo? What about vibrations? The servo is a hitec 225mg...good choice? any reco?

This is my second gasser, the first being a DA50 based plane that was much simpler to rig. Hence these questions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35862.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	507105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15784.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	507106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61305.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	507107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12584.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	507108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57901.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	507109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84880.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	507110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95305.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	507111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr61581.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	507112  

Old 08-14-2006, 10:55 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More DA100 installation questions

ORIGINAL: Ragz

Pic 1,2,3,4 shows the choke lever from both sides of the carb. As you can see in the pic 1 and 2 the lever moves in a manner that necessiates the use of a bellcrank. Pics 3 and 4 show the same from the other side. Can someone show me how they rig up their bellcranks? How are others doing the choke lever, in case they DONT use a bell crank. Do you use a servo? where? how? The entire position is slightly odd and if I use a push rod to move the lever, it will be pointing vertically downwards, in line with the muffler exhaust.

I connect a 4-40 rod to my choke levers and run them down through a small hole in the cowl. When you pull the lever chole is on, push the lever (up) choke is off, very simple.

Pics 5 and 6 show my "poorly" cut spinner. Is the gap between blade and metal too much? Will it cause problems in engine efficiency?

No, better have too much clearance than the chance of the spinner cutting into the prop.

Pics 7 and 8 show the throttle servo. Is this a safe place to have a servo? What about vibrations? The servo is a hitec 225mg...good choice? any reco?

That's a nice placement for the throttle servo, gives a straight and direct connection to the carb. Your choice of throttle servo is poor though, I never use less than a standard sized/strength servo for throttle on these gassers. I like to use the Futaba S9001, a nice cheap coreless servo.

This is my second gasser, the first being a DA50 based plane that was much simpler to rig. Hence these questions.
DKjens
Old 08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would not use a bellcrank for the choke.
I would glue a servo arm to the choke arm and use it to extend the lever arm of the choke.
That is what I do on my BME engine.

The gap is good. So long as the spinner doesn't touch the blade, you are OK.
Make sure your servo mount for your throttle is strong enough not to break lose during vibrations.
I have seen this happen then you can't land until the fuel runs out

Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Ragz

DKJens, Does the 4-40 choke push rod exend vertically downwards? If so, wont it vibrate through the tiny cowl hole? I used to use this method on the needle of some large 4 stroke glow engines..and those push rods woud really vibrate throught the cowling. Can you provide me a pic of your installation?

Geistware, can I see how you glue the servo arm on the choke lever?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

This is the only picture that shows the choke arm.
I have to take my cowl apart and get my wifes camera to take another one.
On this I used a brass shim, JB welded to the choke arm.

DKJens, Does the 4-40 choke push rod exend vertically downwards? If so, wont it vibrate through the tiny cowl hole? I used to use this method on the needle of some large 4 stroke glow engines..and those push rods woud really vibrate throught the cowling. Can you provide me a pic of your installation?

Geistware, can I see how you glue the servo arm on the choke lever?

Name:	Ax73066.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	507433  
Old 08-14-2006, 09:11 PM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

You can take the choke arm off your DA and flip it over making it hang down. It will leave plenty of room for a 4-40 ball link and they fit perfect on the choke arm. Put the 4-40 ball link on the outside in the large hole on the choke arm. A small washer on the other side and bolt it together with the 4-40 bolt that comes with it. It will center itself on the arm.

I mount all my servos inside the plane. I don't like seeing fuel residue on my radio gear.

As far as the spinner goes I don't see anything wrong but cosmetics.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

As far as the choke arm, use a piece of fuel tubing or a rubber grommet to cushion the rod where it comes through the cowl.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:34 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Here's the wicked easy solution for a servo operated choke... been using this for several years now:

1) Go to LHS
2) Get a pack of dubro metal landing gear straps and star washers/short bolts/nuts sized to fit the landing gear strap
3) Bolt 1 landing gear strap to the choke arm (same side as throttle) with a star washer between the strap and the choke arm... use red locktite also. The strap should be set 90 degrees off the choke arm axis.
4) Now, when you push the strap forward and back the choke will open and close... bolt up a little ball link and some nyrod and you are set (use a long threaded rod in the end of the nyrod... you don’t want the plastic between the mufflers).
5) If using nyrod for throttle, use Precision rod instead... my throttle trim never changes.

Here are some pics... hope they help:

P.S.- On your setup, make sure your servo mounting bracket is really secure!!!
P.S.S.- As it works out with my method, if the motor comes loose and pulls forward, the choke closes.
P.S.S.- The last pic is there so you can see where my throttle and choke servos are located.

Name:	Ig13742.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	507997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98082.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	507998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11934.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	507999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52358.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	508000  
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Ragz

Nice ideas...let me see how mine turns out...
Old 08-25-2006, 03:19 PM
lyka

perfect idea, sillyness . Congratulations !!!!!
I will install this system in my DA 100.
SO much thanks