Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Lanier giant stinger aileron servo wires

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier giant stinger aileron servo wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 02:40 AM
sirmombo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier giant stinger aileron servo wires

I just putting together the wing on the giant scale stinger and everything looks straight forward, except I can't figure out how the servo wires are suppose to get routed.

There are some servo wire holes notes on the plans. Am I suppose to drill holes through the foam from the exit holes to the servo box? If so, what type of drill do I use? It would need to be a small but very long one.

Thanks for any info,
Bill Weston
Old 01-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

get a metal rod and heat it up using a propane torch and it will melt right thru the foam. or u can cut a slot in the foam b4 u cover the wing for the wires to rest in. Andrew
Old 01-10-2003, 11:12 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also try a length of copper tubing with the end sharpened. Tap it in with a small hammer, just make sure it goes in straight. When you get all the way through use a wooden dowl and push the foam out of the copper tube.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Barry Fogal

Default Servo Wires

I just finished my Stinger wing. I have a Weller soldering iron. The pistol style, black, weights a ton, little light above the trigger type. You will notice that the solder tip is a bent copper piece that arraches to the iron with set screws. You strip a piece of 12 ga. solid house wire and bend a piece in a square or it can be a u shape. attach it to the iron and burn a wire trough from the servo box to the center, about 1/2 wide x 1/4 inch deep. I also bent a wire to cut in the servo box. If you don't have a Weller iron it will be worth your $$ to buy one. It makes working with foam fast and easy.

Keep the wheels down.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Servo Wires

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry Fogal
[B]I just finished my Stinger wing.

I just have to ask......
I have one setting in the box under my building table....
Did you do anything different to make the wing stronger...
I've looked at the prints...and just don't like butting the wings together with epoxe with the ply plate in front of the spars...
I've heard horror stories about a lot of things with this plane..

Thanks,
BB1
Old 01-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

I USED HEAVY FIBERGLASS CLOTH TO COVER THE CENTER OF THE WING AND EPOXY. MINE WITHSTOOD A ZDZ 80 AND ALL KINDS OF FUNKY MANUEVERS. ANDREW
Old 01-11-2003, 07:43 AM
BigBird1

Thanks,
I'll keep that in mind...
Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Barry Fogal

I epoxied a 1/2" wide strip of carbon fiber under each of the balsa wing spars. I also used two progressive layers of fiberglass cloth at the joint to reinforce the wing. I am putting a 3W 75 on mine and did not want to have a problem. There are a lot of giant stingers out there, I haven't heard of a wing problem, but an ounce of....

Good luck
Old 01-12-2003, 09:59 PM
BigBird1

I've read about one or two...
One wing seperated and on one the back wing bolts pulled through...
This will be my first foam and sheet project and am a little on the shy side so I look for tid bits every chance I get...
I'm thinking about fully sheeting the wings, would it be worth it?
And some extra reinforcing on the front of the fuse...
Love the idea of the 75...

Thanks
BB1...
Old 01-13-2003, 02:04 AM
sirmombo

I purchased a two foot section of 1/2 inch copper pipe from the hardware and managed to create nice hole from the root to the servo. I had to stop every few inches to clean out the foam from the pipe, but it went fairly smoothly. I probably would have went faster if I heated the pipe, but I didn't have a torch handy.

I just joined the wing halves a few hours ago and I don't anticipate any problems with the wing breaking right in the center. The instructions have a dihedral brace, epoxy, sheeting, and fiberglass cloth holding the wings together. That's a low more than my Ultra Stick had and I never had any trouble.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Barry Fogal

I did fully sheet my wings. I used a joiner to true the edges on 48" long 3/32 x 4 sheets and glued them together with Zap thin to make the wing sheets. Sanded the sheets and glued them to the foam cores with Zpoxy. This added some weight over the standard wing construction, but with the 3W 75 I felt that I could affort it. I also fitted the wings with Hitech giant scale digital servos (one each side), Robart hindges and carbon fiber push rods with titanum ends. I used Rocket City 6/32 posts threaded through a 3/8" dowel hard point in the aileron.

Again, plenty strong but with the area of this wing and potential G forces that I usually put a plane through, I wanted to be sure. I did manage to over speed the wings on my Sig Something Extra and did fracture them. I don't understand, I ooonlyyyyy had a .78 on it.

No matter where ya go; there you are.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:33 PM
BigBird1

If you take the pipe and file v notches like a saw blade, It'll cut much easier....
Old 01-13-2003, 10:40 PM
BigBird1

Default Stinger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry Fogal
[B]I did fully sheet my wings. I used a joiner to true the edges on 48" long 3/32 x 4 sheets and glued them together with Zap thin to make the wing sheets. Sanded the sheets and glued them to the foam cores with Zpoxy.

That was one of the things I was looking for...
Thanks

Robart hindges and carbon fiber push rods with titanum ends. I used Rocket City 6/32 posts threaded through a 3/8" dowel hard point in the aileron.

I had aready planed on using the Robarts, good idea on the hard points and 6/32 post...

I only want to build this thing once, any advice from anyone is taken...

Michael.