Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

W.M. 28% EXTRA 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

W.M. 28% EXTRA 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default W.M. 28% EXTRA 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

Guys

I have just heard of a World models Extra 330L loosing it's tail on it's first flight.

Apparently the whole tailplane & fin came off the ply fuse box as a unit.

Has anyone else heard of this with this model?

Does anyone know of any of these models flying?

Any info is welcome, I have a mate due to maiden one of these in a couple of days.

Cheers

PS. I don't want to hear general ARF horror stories or bagging, I am looking for specific info on this model. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87158.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	519314  
Old 09-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: W.M. 28% EXTRA 330L TAIL FALLS OFF?

I haven't heard of anyone flying this plane and as far as I know--I must be the only guy for 600 miles around that has one.

Thanks for the heads up on the tail. I was trying to sell mine and the GT-80 so that I could move up to a 40% plane, but I'm not having much luck getting rid of it. I guess I'll keep it. It's really a 30% plane and I am in love with the GT-80 twin. I will probably end up finishing the assembly on this ARF and fly it with the GT-80.

I'll check out the tail really good. I don't care for the way the stabs and wings attach to the plane. Running a bolt through an aluminum tube never seamed like a good idea. Too easy for it to strip out and too easy for it to just vibrate out. Loose the retainer bolt and your stabs are going to start flopping around. It wouldn't surprise me to fine out that the retainer bolts came out and then the stabs started flopping around on the plane your talking about. That would rip the tail off in short order.

I just haven't figured out how to re-engineer the attachment yet. About the only thing I can come up with is to add a lite ply plate to the root of each stab and then use a bolt through the plate into a blind nut in the fuse.

Name:	Xv65008.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	519349  
Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 AM
japan3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I use on my horizontal stabs is a threaded insert in a block of wood epoxied inside the aluminum tube. 150+ flights on my comp-arf 3m Extra and have yet to find one of the bolts loose after a hard day of flying.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Rcpilot

I've heard of this method for attaching the wings and stabs.

What you basically do is get a dowel the size of your tube and then cut a bit off the bottom. But, you leave it planety big so that it can't slip in the tube.

Then you put a blind nut in the wood and epoxy the whole thing inside the tube.

I've heard of guys doing it, but I still don't like the idea of running a bolt through my wing panel or my stab. Just seams stupid. There's no reason why you can't attach the wings to the fuse from the inside with a simple 1/4--20 bolt or nut.

On my World Models Extra, I cut open a small hole in the root of the wing panel and eppoxied in a hardwood block about 1" x 2" Then I drilled and tapped the hardwood for a 1/4--20 bolt. I threaded a nylon bolt in and epoxied it in. Cut the head off. Now I have a 1/4--20 stud sticking out of the root of my wing panel. Slip it on the tube and run a wingnut over the stud from inside the fuse.

Name:	Lj21813.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	519492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec90007.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	519493  
Old 09-06-2006, 09:39 AM
gdm

Ihave one with a zdz super 80 and cannot see how yu could loose the whole tail assembly
mine flies like a big foamie outrageous power to weight
it is a really good flying plane but of course not perfect as it is an arf
Old 09-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: gdm

Ihave one with a zdz super 80 and cannot see how yu could loose the whole tail assembly
mine flies like a big foamie outrageous power to weight
it is a really good flying plane but of course not perfect as it is an arf
Have you weighed it?

I'm flying at a lot higher altitude than most. I'm concerned with wing loading and the GT-80 twin isn't going to be as light as a single. It will be smooth, but I'm probably going to pay a 1 pound weight penalty.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 AM
gdm

Have not weighed it yet but it is real lite about 20 pounds at most
your gt80 will fly it good even at your elevation
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not know if the World Models Edge is the same, but I have one of those, the tailplane and fin are only attached to the fusalarge by the glue joint as standard, I would reccomend supplimenting the joint to the fus in some manner, I made up a ply plate to fit over the LE of the tailplane attached by screwing into the former in front of the tail, and screwed through the TE ply plated into the plywood reinforcing plate for the tailwheel. I just thought that to rely on a glue joint for attachement was asking for trouble on an 78" 3D capable plane.

Hope this helps, but not scare you.

Mike
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I do not know if the World Models Edge is the same, but I have one of those, the tailplane and fin are only attached to the fusalarge by the glue joint as standard, I would reccomend supplimenting the joint to the fus in some manner, I made up a ply plate to fit over the LE of the tailplane attached by screwing into the former in front of the tail, and screwed through the TE ply plated into the plywood reinforcing plate for the tailwheel. I just thought that to rely on a glue joint for attachement was asking for trouble on an 78" 3D capable plane.

Hope this helps, but not scare you.

Mike
I wasn't aware World Models sold an Edge in 78" size.

Got a link?