Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

airwild extra 260 29% who's got one?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

airwild extra 260 29% who's got one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:32 PM
CAURIMARE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airwild extra 260 29% who's got one?

Hi,
I am thinking of getting this plane but I would like to know what people think about it, is it really comming out at 15 lbs with a DA50? how is the ligth construction?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 PM
AJT

Default RE: airwild extra 260 29% who's got one?

I am currently flying one! I have about 5gals of gas through the plane so far. (Taurus-52 Airwild 260.) I am happy to report I've had no issues with the plane to date. i.e. landing gear, motor mount, covering, ect. My RTF is 14.9lbs. Using a lighter battery system than what I have( 4000ma duralite and 1000ma nicad for ignition.) and the DA-50 I would say without a doubt 14.5lbs RTF or less!! As it is My 260 is a vertical missile. And fly's very,very lite. I made no mods to the kit, and placed my battery packs just behind the wing tube (almost touching). Balance is at the center of the wing tube. I think with a DA the batteries would be forward the tube. This is truly a great 50cc class airplane. The best I've owned so far and I've had a few. My other plane is a BME EDGE (exact same set up) but falls WAY short in a performance match. The 260 just plain smokes it in every respect. That being said I still love to fly the EDGE. I hope I have answered some of your questions.
AL.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:57 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I have the BME Edge with a DA50 and it flies 3D like nobody's business. If this Airwild Extra 260 smokes the BME then it's gotta be good. They are about two pounds difference in weight so that helps, but it sounds like there's more than weight that's better? How's the coupling?

ORIGINAL: AJT

I am currently flying one! I have about 5gals of gas through the plane so far. (Taurus-52 Airwild 260.) I am happy to report I've had no issues with the plane to date. i.e. landing gear, motor mount, covering, ect. My RTF is 14.9lbs. Using a lighter battery system than what I have( 4000ma duralite and 1000ma nicad for ignition.) and the DA-50 I would say without a doubt 14.5lbs RTF or less!! As it is My 260 is a vertical missile. And fly's very,very lite. I made no mods to the kit, and placed my battery packs just behind the wing tube (almost touching). Balance is at the center of the wing tube. I think with a DA the batteries would be forward the tube. This is truly a great 50cc class airplane. The best I've owned so far and I've had a few. My other plane is a BME EDGE (exact same set up) but falls WAY short in a performance match. The 260 just plain smokes it in every respect. That being said I still love to fly the EDGE. I hope I have answered some of your questions.
AL.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:48 AM
AJT

Coupling is about 4% up elevator & 4% of left aileron in knife edge ( full power). No wing rock in harriers. Flat spins are very flat. This airplane carries a lot of speed, Sometimes I think it's good sometimes I think it's bad. Throttle management is a little harder with the 260. It's that learning curve thing! Most of the time I fly at half to 3/4 throttle anyway. My wing bags, body bag from my BME fit this airplane. which tells you both airframe are just about the same. You are correct Joe there is a 2 lb difference in weight. But truthfully my BME EDGE fly's as good as the 260. Power to weight the 260 has the EDGE. I think the 260 would be a better platform for IMAC. But for 3-D it's a close race, A well seasoned pilot will make you want to buy either airplane. Like I said I fly at half to 3/4 throttle most of the time. And that's right in the 3-D range for either aircraft. If I had to choose one or the other, I would have to pick a name out of a hat. I really think the BME EDGE is just a great airplane I will never sell it. Same goes for the Airwild 260. One thing I want to say is I wouldn't get rid of the EDGE for the 260 if I were to only have one 50 size plane. You really wouldn't be gaining that much only the vertical missle thing and that gets old quick. Now it's time for me to go bigger I just ordered a 35% WH SUKHOI this will be my first truly large airplane. I can't wait!!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 AM
CAURIMARE
My Feedback: (2)

I will be ordering the 260 today, that plane at 14.9 lbs has to be a killer for 3D I can't wait.
I was only a little bit concerned about the quality of the construction being that light.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
AJT

I personally think the quality is as good as any other MGF plane I've owned. I had landing gear or firewall issues on ALL others, But not this one to date. Our field is a little on the rough side. So far I haven't been able to rip the landing gear out. (unusual for me) I did my EDGE twice. However I have bent the tail wheel spring a couple of times but the rough conditions of the field was at fault. I really must say for it's lite weight, The airframe has held up fine. I think you'll come in at less weight than mine with a DA-50. Have a ball This is a great all around flying airplane. If you were in NY I would invite to the field and let you have at it!!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to like the coupling on the Sukhoi. With an aft CG there is about a 6% up elevator to rudder mix with a ZERO roll coupling in either direction. The pitch coupling is the same in all directions, unlike the Edges and Extras that seem to always be a little different in each direction. Removing the right thrust at the engine by adding a shim under the mount makes all further flight trimming about as easy as you can get. Basically Im saying that the plane does not require any engine thrust for excellent to perfect control responses.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:18 AM
AJT

No doubt I'll be picking your brain during the construction (set up) of the SOHKOI. I have read your threads several times. I see no news yet from RTK on the BME-115! That's ok I've got all winter to construct. I can't remember ever flying a plane that had no roll coupling. I'm looking forward to that!! Love knife edge. Pat you did a great test on this new airplane, sold me!! I bet your really enjoying it. At our field I'm the only flyer that has GIANT scale. No IMAC or anyone else to go to for help. I depend on this website for set up tips, I wish we had people like yourself to fly with.
AL
Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 115 is supposed to be flying tomorrow. I'll be overseas when the Sukhoi is released but I'll reply as quickly as able. There should not be too much of a delay.

I know what you mean about being the only one at a field that flys giants. For a few years that's the way it was with me at one field. The guys are finally starting to make the step up to better flying planes and equipment, but they seemed to have been waiting a long time to be certain that what I had been doing would always work. A very long time When I made the step up to giants I was lucky in that I had a hobby shop owner that was also a giant scale warbird kit manufacturer at the time to guide the way to some extent.

The Sukhoi should be a very easy assembly and set up. It's probably the most and best documented prototype that Tom has done to date. One item of note for the best possible performance. Don't be concerned about having the engine a lot more forward than anything you have ever done before. The propeller loses a lot of thrust and ability if it is placed up against the cowl. Poor engine positioning can cost several hundred rpm from what it could be. Keep the back of the prop an inch or an inch and a half forward of the cowl. More won't hurt at all and still look scale! That's one of the areas that the 115 will work for the plane instead of against it as a heavier engine would. Plus more power!!

I'm actually looking at the Air Wild 260 for one of the 3.2's I have that are not hanging on anything at the moment. It's appears to be pretty well thought out for a "smaller" plane.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:03 PM
AJT

I will make sure that I mount the motor (prop hub) at LEAST 1" probably more from the cowling! Also I'll shim the motor mount to neutralize the offset. I'm very excited about this airplane.
So your looking at a 260, OUTSTANDING. You would like that plane. It does build lite. The tail wheel assy has a little to be desired but it doesn't weigh much and works great if your field isn't to rough. Actually I went to the next gage wire one and I still managed to bend it. (lol) but the main gear mount is very strong I haven't managed to rip that out yet. Other than that I have NO complaints. All is as it was from the box after 5 gals. No cowling cracks, covering loose, or any of the usual stuff I've seen with my other ARF's Much to my pleasant surprise. One note I have tried a lot of different props on this plane but when I switch to a ZHOR 23/8, holy smoke what a ball of fire!! My buddy from another club tried one on his DA-50 after watching mine fly. He said he'll never use anything else. Really woke his DA up. You probably have been there done that. But I thought I'd mention it anyway. As you can see they save a lot of weight with the control horns they use. I will look forward to hearing about it if you decide to buy a 260 . I did NOT add any strength to the motor mount or landing gear block, NOT necessary.
AL.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:36 PM
BoneDoc

I just can't believe how light this thing is. for almost 1400 squares, most airframes are around 16-17 lbs. This is approaching or is at the wingloading of that mythical EF Yak .
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah take a look at the Airwild Edge video (similar design). He does square loops with some sharp corners, it looks odd in a good way. They can simply do things other planes cannot at this wing loading. Can't make up my mind to get one of these or just go 33%.

ORIGINAL: BoneDoc

I just can't believe how light this thing is. for almost 1400 squares, most airframes are around 16-17 lbs. This is approaching or is at the wingloading of that mythical EF Yak .
Old 09-09-2006, 08:18 PM
BoneDoc

If you already have a 50CC, then I suggest going bigger. There's no point having 2 of a plane that is very similar.

Where can I find the video BTW?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
JoeAirPort

Extra 260: http://www.airwildhobbies.com/upload...d%20finish.wmv

Edge: http://airwildhobbies.com/uploadimag...dge540t-29.wmv

The Edge is the one that I thought the guy flew some unusual stuff.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Do you mean ZOHR or XOAR?

Where can these be found?

Thanks.

ORIGINAL: AJT

I will make sure that I mount the motor (prop hub) at LEAST 1" probably more from the cowling! Also I'll shim the motor mount to neutralize the offset. I'm very excited about this airplane.
So your looking at a 260, OUTSTANDING. You would like that plane. It does build lite. The tail wheel assy has a little to be desired but it doesn't weigh much and works great if your field isn't to rough. Actually I went to the next gage wire one and I still managed to bend it. (lol) but the main gear mount is very strong I haven't managed to rip that out yet. Other than that I have NO complaints. All is as it was from the box after 5 gals. No cowling cracks, covering loose, or any of the usual stuff I've seen with my other ARF's Much to my pleasant surprise. One note I have tried a lot of different props on this plane but when I switch to a ZHOR 23/8, holy smoke what a ball of fire!! My buddy from another club tried one on his DA-50 after watching mine fly. He said he'll never use anything else. Really woke his DA up. You probably have been there done that. But I thought I'd mention it anyway. As you can see they save a lot of weight with the control horns they use. I will look forward to hearing about it if you decide to buy a 260 . I did NOT add any strength to the motor mount or landing gear block, NOT necessary.
AL.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:05 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Xoar props can be purchased at Desert Aircraft. The 23-8 is the prop of choice on the DA 50 in our area.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
AJT

Thank You: I will keep that in mind the next time I order props! My bub's DA-50 really does preform with this prop. Spools up quicker and will just start to rip it straight and level. Whole different airplane with the XOAR. ( spelled it right this time).
Old 09-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I just purchased this plane. It has a lot of the things I'm looking for at our high elevation, 4800'. Light weight, light weight, light weight.

I'm impressed with the quality of the ARF. Very nice. I'll start building it this week. I estimate a couple weeks to have it in the air. I'm powering it with a DA50. It will be my second gas plane. I'll use Hitec 5945 on the rudder and elevators and 5645 on the ailerons. I'll be using a NX 22x8 prop and hopefully a 23x8 after break in.

Everything looks top notch in this kit. I'm impressed. And so far Airwild has been very nice to deal with. Sounds like they know their stuff and are willing to help in any way. I like that. I usually have a lot of questions.

Anyways, I'll keep posting as I build and fly this beautiful airplane.

Thanks
Barry
Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
BoneDoc

Please do so. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Barry Cazier

Got officially started on Air Wild Extra 29% yesterday. Great looking plane. It starts off with mounting the engine. Got that done. The DA50 looks beautiful sitting there on the front of the fuse. I had to drill the firewall but AirWild provides a template to do it. Very easy. They address other engines to be mounted but get very specific on the DA50 with exactly how to mount it. So, if you are using a DA 50 it's a very easy thing to do.

I looked everything over and went over all the covering with my heat gun. I'm ready to get going. The stab is removable and bolts on with an aluminum tube. Maybe most giant scale planes do this but it was a surprise to me and pretty neat. The cowling looks very "light" and maybe a bit fragile. I'll be careful with that as I cut and install it. It has carbon fiber pushrods for the elevators (cut to length and with the ends installed), the ailerons pushrods are titanium connectors (very short), the hardward package is as good as it gets and very complete (even has gasoline tubing for the fuel tank).

The wing tube is aluminum and so is the landing gear. I'm happy about the landing gear (every carbon fiber gear I've seen or personally flown has delaminated) but I wish it had a carbon wing tube. It's a 25mm tube. I may get one. I estimate I could save 4-5 ozs weight with a carbon tube.

Well, I'm started. That's it for now.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Throw up a few pics Barry. Do you have the pitts muffler, or a can for your DA? I hope to have some thing similar in December.

Steve
Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Barry Cazier

Steve...

I'll take a few pics tonight and post tomorrow. I'm using a Slimline Pitts "twin pipe" muffler. I figured the regular DA single pipe pitts would be too loud. Costs me 4 ounces though.

This is a very complete hardware set up. All the arms are aluminum with threaded holes for 4-40 ball links. Very nice stuff. The manual is about the most complete I've seen. And they give great info on where to install all the batteries etc to balance properly. Also a great guide on trimming the airplane. Almost seems they want their customers to be satisfied.

Thanks
Barry

PS: Are you up to flying sometime this week or next?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a great deal. Get'er done so I can see it fly.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Barry Cazier

A few pictures of the DA on the AirWild. Coming along nicely, but slowly. Hope to get a lot done this weekend.
Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92777.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	536064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53693.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	536065  
Old 10-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Barry Cazier

Couple more.
Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90093.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	536073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79793.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	536074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99380.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	536075  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.