Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Lanier Cap 232 building question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier Cap 232 building question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 01:41 AM
uglystick
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Cap 232 building question

I'm nearly finished building my Lanier Cap 232 and I've seen several posts on this aircraft. A lot of positive stuff about the kit.
I need some suggestions from some who have built the kit regarding how the area between the aft end of the horizontal stab to the end of the top of fuselage should be finished. Lanier shows nothing and it looks just a tad bit ugly. Would appreciate some ideas.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:39 AM
daren
My Feedback: (4)

If your talking about the plastic cap that they supply to go over the horizontal stab. I just formed a balsa block to fill the gap. before you glue the stab on. tack glue the balsa block on and plane, sand and form it to the fusalage.the remove it and glue on the horizontal stab. then sand the bottom of the block to fit the stab. then glue it on. then carve out a slot for the vertical fin and glue it on. it turns out looking good better then there plastic cap.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:54 PM
lenough

I just left it alone on mine. I thought it looked strange too, but the last thing the plane needs is more weight.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:54 AM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I capped minw with balsa also. I used light balsa, and carved, sanded it to shape. Doesn't look to bad! My plane came in at 16.5 pounds with a bme 50 and is an good 3-d plane. Of course it isn't a 40% carden but it does real well. There isn't anything it won't do. I did remove some unnessecary wood from mine to help get the weight down, such as the bottom sheeting.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:04 PM
uglystick

It's good to hear that the BME 50's working out well - that's the engine that's going in mine along with digital servos and a 6 volt parallel system.
I noticed on the Lanier Cap 232 ARF that Lanier used two different pieces of fiberglass to blend the area together - over top of the horizontal stab (kit ABS) and another piece from there back to the end of the fuselage - it would have been nice if something like that were available to the kit builders. The solid balsa looks like maybe the best way to go. Getting plenty sanding time with this aircraft.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:34 PM
capthis

I am running the22-8 zinger pro and haven't tried any other props as I am very satisfied with the performance of this setup. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:52 PM
uglystick

capthis,

What did you do with the rudder servo system - rear mount, under the canopy (pull pull) etc.?
Old 01-15-2003, 03:43 AM
capthis

Pull pull under the canopy. My battery is directly under the wing tube. so it balanced out perfectly like this. I would suggest you definatly double bevel the rudder line. I wish now I had addes tristock to the trailing edge of the vert. stab. It will knife edge loop and such and I have lots of throw but I would like to get just a little more. I let Jeff Williams fly my plane and his only complaint was that it would run out of rudder. But it will do everything his 1/3 scale cap would!
Old 01-15-2003, 03:44 AM
capthis

By the way Jeff is a real good 3-d pilot and designer of the morris hobbies sledge. Just a little background on him to let you know he know what he is talking about. And a heck of a nice guy too.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:18 AM
uglystick

Capthis,

Thanks for the tip regarding the edge on the back of the fuse and the rudder (the triangle) - caught that addition just in time - before I sized and shaped the top of the rudder. My email is [email protected] would like to stay in touch. I'm happy so far with this aircraft and very anxious to fly it. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:33 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default new question

Guys:

I posted a new question about the Cap here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...267&forumid=38

Please have a look. Need help with my thrust line. :