Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Giant Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Kits

Looking for 25% - 40% kits to build,, I would really like an Edge 540 or something to that effect, where can you get GREAT kits or plans for such craft without having to spend $500.00 or more, I don't want to do the ARF, I like building them, but everything I see is around 700 - $1000.00's of dollars,,, For KITS,,, wow,,, is there nowhere to find a great Kit or set of plans for around $300.00 or less in these sizes???? if not,,, I'll have to save money for the next 10 years to get such a toy,, But I want it NOW.... Any Info would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Giant Kits

Here ya go.

http://www.aero-sports.com/whplans/edge.html

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

Looking for 25% - 40% kits to build,, I would really like an Edge 540 or something to that effect, where can you get GREAT kits or plans for such craft without having to spend $500.00 or more, I don't want to do the ARF, I like building them, but everything I see is around 700 - $1000.00's of dollars,,, For KITS,,, wow,,, is there nowhere to find a great Kit or set of plans for around $300.00 or less in these sizes???? if not,,, I'll have to save money for the next 10 years to get such a toy,, But I want it NOW.... Any Info would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Unfortunately, this is not a cheap hobby. If you can't afford more than $300 for a big kit, how can you afford to buy the accessories you will need to finish it?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:04 PM
glover1482

Today, UPS is supposed to deliver an OMP Edge Hybrid to my front porch. It will be my winter build project. Obviously, I can't recommend it, but that is where I put my $300.

http://ohiomodelplanes.com/92edgehybrid/

Fly Safe, Glover
Old 11-13-2006, 03:14 PM
GoldenEagle
My Feedback: (1)

Since the price of the airframe is only about 20-25% of the total cost of these big birds, going cheap on the airplane design itself is false economy. Consider your total cost and get the best quality airplane and engine you can afford regardless of size. You'll be happier with a great small airplane rather than a crappy big 'un.

Chris
www.goldeneagleaircraft.com
Old 11-13-2006, 06:07 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a Great Planes 330L. 80 to 100 cc engine. There is a build thread going on in the kit forum I think.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4858369/tm.htm

here is a build thread that has been started.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's just exactly what your after:

www.fiber-lite.com and click on the plane. He only makes one plane. It's all laser kit from an outside source and he does all the glass work in-house.

It's an Edge 540 and weighs 15 pounds +/- with a DA50. Plane is a kit and costs $399 + shipping. I talked to him about 2 weeks ago and he's a really nice guy. Very willing to talk about the design and the construction of the plane. It's on my list when I crash my next plane. I usually fly 60cc engines in these 50cc planes because of my altitude.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Man I love this site,,, Thank you all so much for the quick replies and links,, This is exactly what I was looking for,,, Kit Choices,, you guys are the best. I've been bouncing around all over searching through forums and websites for months until I decided to just post my own forum about it. I knew I should have just came here from the beginning but I thought it would be lost in millions of other forums for the same thing,, but I couldn't find one,, so thank you all again.

Hammbone In response to the how will I be able to afford the accessories to one of these big boys if I can't afford the plane itself,, I can't afford any of anything anyway, LOL,, But its just something you have to do... no matter what the wife says,,, Hope she didn't hear that LOL,, but at least starting with a kit thats not over a grand, will help the other items come a little faster, I just knew there had to be something out there in a kit form that was decent, and wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. I don't want to chince corners by any means, I guess you could say I'm just doing some great homework before I buy one. and it was looking like I was going to spend around $900.00 for the kit I wanted.

It use to be buying a kit was the most inexpensive way to go, plus all the fun & glory that is involved with building a kit from a box of sticks. I understand the convenience of ARF's and so,, but I just can't do it, I have to build it all.... but kits are getting harder to come by in the Local Hobby places around here,, I have to drive across the state border to come close to a great hobby shop, but he doesn't carry anything in the bigger sizes.

I've been building and flying for over 35 years now, mostly 40 - 1.60 size birds, I don't want to by junk at all, but I really want to take the next step up,, I want a Big toy... if I've learned one thing at all, spend the extra buck and get something good, its so worth it in the end, and probably cheaper anyway in the long run. so I will have to check out a few of these links you guys sent me, the Build doesn't scare me at all, but I am looking for quality as well, so if I have to spend the big bucks then so be it....

Again thank you all, and i'll be posting again in this thread when I make a decision ,, most likely for some more advice.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Flyfalcons

Lanier has a 40% Edge kit. It's fairly reasonably priced and they have sales on their big kits every now and then. I got mine for $550 shipped! If you want to go all out, check out the Cardens - I haven't flown their Edge but if it's anything like the Extra it would be a real winner.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

CA models, I believe Aeroworks sells them, also if you jump to 35% and $550 the Jtec Radiowave...easy builds both of them but as stated the larger ones are gonna cost you to actually get in the air.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I second what RcPilet said.. that is a realy nice kit and it's actually a quick building plane from what I have read and I spoke with him in the summer about it.

Lots of squares.. light.. 87" fast build.. $399 what more can you ask for?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Bass1

Yeah, that Fiber-lite Edge looks pretty good! If someone were to send me one (out of the kindness of their heart), I would be happy to build it for me!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 AM
glover1482

Yes, the Fiber-Lite Edge was my second choice. The fact that I do not have vacuum bagging equipment for sheeting foam was the tie breaker that steered me to the Hybrid. I know that foam can be sheeted with weights, but not by me for a 16lb toy. I checked with Fiber-Lite regarding getting pre-sheeted foam, but was told the option was not available. Maybe by next winter I'll have facuum bagging equipment. The Fiber-Lite video is excellent.

Fly Safe, Glover

PS My Hybrid arrived yesterday, and it is a very substantial pile of balsa. I going to need more glue!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 AM
tobytorkn
My Feedback: (1)

i sell kits/plans at various stages for builders. see www.silhavyaerosports.net
thanks, toby....
Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

I dont see any giant scale kits on your site
Old 11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Bass1

Look in the Imac/3D section. Three nice looking airplanes.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:24 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Look in the Imac/3D section. Three nice looking airplanes.

Oppps....Thanks.....Man i wish you had a 35% 540