Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Whirlyspud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

If I had saved any more weight on the front of my yak, the batteries would have had to be mounted in the spinner. Right now they are in line with the former that the front of the canopy latches into. Cg is about 1/4 in behind the center of the wing tube. Da50 with stock muffler.

Mike

Edited because I said cowl where I meant canopy.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

I hear you same here ! Im am tail heavy but not to bad just how I like it . Makes for nice flat spins .
Old 05-24-2007, 01:31 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Whirlyspud

If I had saved any more weight on the front of my yak, the batteries would have had to be mounted in the spinner. Right now they are in line with the former that the front of the cowl latches into. Cg is about 1/4 in behind the center of the wing tube. Da50 with stock muffler.

Mike
Mike, I thought I needed the battery up on the engine box, but in reality I think most of my trouble was in the stab incidence. As soon as this wind stops, I'll get out and experiment with moving the reciever battery back. I'm at or about on the center of the wing tube. It flys a little nose heavy for my taste. I would imagine I'll end up near the back of the tube.

John
Old 05-24-2007, 01:58 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: CHM

John - it's the 1" steel fender washers that are bringing that weight up. I just weighed eight 1.25" fender washers (all i have here) on a $150 digital postage scale... 2.5 ounces!

If you use a hole saw you can make your own aluminum washers and save weight...for free.

Chuck

I didn't have actual fender washers so I was weighing 1" regular washers with the big hole. I dont think they were even a 1/16 thick, eight of them came to 1.4 ounces. If your numbers are correct, it Looks like we need to add another 1.1 ounces to the DA 3'' standoff/ fenderwasher setup. Putting the total weight to 7.3 ounces. Looks like I saved 3 ounces. Closing in on a quarter pound.

john
Old 05-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

John, send me a pm and let me know how much and where would I order from. Also what are the chances of getting a set of 2.5 inch stand offs? That will be the size needed for the 88.5 inch plane when using a DA.

R
Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: rdb127

John, send me a pm and let me know how much and where would I order from. Also what are the chances of getting a set of 2.5 inch stand offs? That will be the size needed for the 88.5 inch plane when using a DA.

R
Richard, are you talking about the Yak or the new extra? The 88'' Yak needs 3'' with a DA-50. I'm sure re-writing the program to 2.5 inches is fairly simple, but making one set would be pretty expensive. I had 4 sets of the 3'' built, It would have cost me nearly the same to build one set. I figured I'd use them all eventually. In retrospect I should have had him build 10 sets for a few dollars more. The guy making them made me nervous. He didn't return phone calls, never went to work, his yard was a mess and the inside of his house was not fit for pigs and smelled like cats. I wasn't sure what I was going to get. He surprised me. His work was perfect.

John
Old 05-24-2007, 02:43 PM

The 2.5's are not for this Extreme Flight airframe.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:50 PM
jrjohn

Ok, I gave the blueprints to "Bgold", I'm not sure if he has a CNC machine or he was going to buy one. It's possible he might want to make some custom standoffs.

John
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM

Here is one you guys may enjoy.

Mounted in my 88 inch yak my Futaba R319DPS receiver had glitched last month during flight and twice I almost lost the plane. I shut down and made a sucessful deadstick and got my plane back whole.

The receiver was under warrantee so off it went to be checked out. They replaced the antenna and "resoldered the circuit board" re-calibrated and all is well. During the wait I have been flying an identical reciver which is now mounted in much more than 1/2 inch foam. (I do like these recievers)

As I am looking throug the paperwork I noticed that my shipping label was mistakenly printed for Hitec RCD and that is where I sent the Futaba reciever.[X(]

Without so much as a peep Hitec RCD had forwarded my receiver to Futaba like within a day of receipt.[[X(]
Now that is service!!!! Those guys at Hitec will have a faithful customer in the future for shure. As a disclaimer I do like Futaba as well and have no problem supporting their fine product.

Richard

PS Anytime your setup is not exactly 100% it pays not to fly. I had the smallest of warnings and really might have/should have paid the price. (I thought it was the elevator extension)
Old 05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Whirlyspud

That was very cool of them.

Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

jrjohn i have my receiver battery back were the rudder servo sits

23a vess
brison 3.2
carbon spinner
c/f pipe
8611 on the rudder
4-8411
4400 li and 2200 on the engine box
throttle servo in the engine box area
receiver in front of the rec.battery along with reg.
stock 20 oz tank
CG=7" hands off inverted
wt 17lbs forgot the change part i think its 10 or 12 oz
Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 PM
kochj

Why not just use a Prop hub extender for your DA engine!
Here it is
Description and Pricing
Part Description Part #
http://www.sierragiant.com/prod32.html
Price http://www.sierragiant.com/prod32.html
Zenoah 2", 2-1/2" & 3" Zenoah Prop Ext. $35.00
Sachs 2" Sachs Prop Ext. $35.00
3W 1/2", 1", 1-1/2", 2" 3W Prop Ext. $40.00
DA 50 1-1/4" & 1-3/4" DA Prop Ext. $40.00
ZDZ 1", 1-1/2" & 2" ZDZ Prop Ext. $40.00
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77015.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	690895  
Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM
chipwill
My Feedback: (12)

Maidened my 88 today.

Brillelli 60 had some issues but I got them sorted out quickly. Was pretty hot and muggy here. Motor ran great. I have a Menz 22-10 on it now. Power is good, and I expect better after break in. No tach numbers. I forgot I had my tach with me!

I don't know what my Yak weighs in at. I didn't have to add an ounce of weight to balance ( it balanced on the wing tube with two RX batteries on the engine box, ign. battery and regulator up there too.

The only downside, is I realized this am I had two Smart Fly Ignition cutoff receivers, and no transmitter unit. So, I had to set the idle as low as I could. Cannot cut off the motor with trim alone. First flight, the idle crept up and well, I would land and stay just below flying speed down the field, so instead of popping the elevators into hi rates for braking, I just took her up and spent more time getting used to it. Took 26 minutest to run out of fuel, doing IMAC style flying. After that I adjusted the idle down and was able to land and taxi at ease. Still, need the ign. cutoff!. This Yak flies every bit as good as the 87 I had two years ago. Actually, flies better. In KE flight, I had the slightest tuck to the belly, probably not even worth mixing out.

I am flying with the DX7 and it is great! I might get a module for my 9303 but for now, I don't know if I really need to.

Thank you Chris for another great airplane.

The Columbus IMAC contest is on Saturday and Sunday and I will be flying in it. Should be fun, though my sequence flying ability is pretty weak right about now!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 AM
bgold

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

Ok, I gave the blueprints to "Bgold", I'm not sure if he has a CNC machine or he was going to buy one. It's possible he might want to make some custom standoffs.

John
John: I have a CNC lathe now, that's how I make my living. I'll call about the standoffs.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Update:

A little birdie told me the 88" Yak shipment is due in mid next week!

Wasn't there someone chomping at the bit... hmmm... let me see.... Oh yeah I remember...

Let your buddy's know that MOST of this shipment is sold already... so the remaining planes are FCFS...

Oh... there will be some 74" Yaks on there too in the Black & Yellow scheme as well...
Old 05-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Maudib

Kochj...

Those prop entender options are usually used by "long nosed" warbird guys who need to stick the prop out further from the cylinder head due to concealment... (especially planes with nacels)

While these work pretty decent... they don't can create CG issues and are harder on the bearings in the engine.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Maudib

Hey Chip!

That's great to hear! Give 'em what for at the IMAC...

(BTW... that Sukhoi changed hands I don't know how many times... but now a new friend of mine here in Kentucky has it! It STILL isn't finished!)
Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Whirlyspud

As sick as it may sound, I just ordered a backup.

Mike
Old 05-25-2007, 07:08 PM
sinchai

Hello,

I am thinking of using 2.4 system for my EF 88 Yak. I looking at either JR or Futaba. Has anybody use them? And what you think?

Thanks,

Sinchai
Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Update:

A little birdie told me the 88" Yak shipment is due in mid next week!

Wasn't there someone chomping at the bit... hmmm... let me see.... Oh yeah I remember...

Let your buddy's know that MOST of this shipment is sold already... so the remaining planes are FCFS...

Oh... there will be some 74" Yaks on there too in the Black & Yellow scheme as well...
you refering to me chomping at the bit?? i just got an order today from tbm, didnt open yet but should be pretty much everything else i needed, other than the plane[:@]

they say good things are worth waiting for.....
Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Got 4 flights on mine between the rain storms...........This is one Hell of a PLANE!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 02:39 PM
diamondave

well i really am looking forward to this one now, i lost my comp arf today, bad day indeed, went out early cause i new it was going to be hot, but the sun is low and off the right of our field in the early am, i had a hard time seeing it once, kept it towards the other side for a while, but then wanted to do a nice slow ke pass from the right to left, went into the sun, kept my head down so my baseballl cap brim would help with the sun, got 1/4 of the way up the field in ke and came out, totaly lost orientation completly, was too low, had sun spots in my eyes, etc.etc, reduced power even more and tried to figure it out, fliped and rolled at least once or twice but never understood which way i was going, thought i was upright and gave up ele,, was either to low and slow and it snapped, or was still inverted, i kinda think i was too low and slow and it snapped in, landed kinda upright from the way the damage was, either way it was totalled, bummer, so i am devoted to the new yak even more, still have my ef 300e to fly in the meantime, and rd123, now i have an 80 looking for a home eventually, may end up with the am 33% yak after all, might stick with yaks, i was never a big fan of the extra, luckily i had gotten a really good deal on it so the sting isnt as bad as it could have been, still sucks though, it was a good plane to have for when it got windy....
Old 05-27-2007, 06:12 PM
chipwill
My Feedback: (12)

Well the Columbus IMAC is over.

It was two years ago this contest that my left eye hemmoraged and I was out of action that season, then my other eye last year. Was great to get back into IMAC flying finally.

I went into the Contest Saturday, with a grand total of 5 flights on my airframe. Didn't really do any mixing out of anything. A few clicks of trim and the plane flies straight! Saturday, we flew three rounds. The last round I took off and was making a trip pass and the motor quit, and a quick S Turn and I was on the ground safe. The ignition battery failed. I had a spare Fromeco 2400 in my box so strapped it next to the wing tube and was off again. The other ign battery was not a Fromeco.

Flew Two rounds today. First round was calm. Second round was 12-20 kt gusting winds. I almost decided to call it a day, but the wind was almost right down the runway. Worst that could happen was I could land backwards. The plane didn't really care about the wind, it just flew. Now, my wind corrections were funny at times. I ended up in 4th place. I probably would have finished 5th if one guy didn't have the most unfortunate near catostrophic event I have ever seen yesterday.

The Yak got great feedback on the field. A friend's daughter called it the Bumblebee, so now I need to find a Bee Graphic to get for it.

Looking forward to hopefully many many flights from this plane, and already considering putting my name on the list for the Big one.

Chip
Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 PM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

DD
you will like the SD 33 /80 combo,they to are a blast.I have a 33%SD with a twin crammed in the nose.
Donnie
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM
diamondave

yeh i was very close to getting that one anyway, but i knew what ef planes were like from having them in the past, and with rb127's feedback(he had both) i decided to get the ef yak(still waiting) and a 60 for it, but now since i lost the comp that sd yak is looking like a good replacement, the comp arf was a good plane, nice not having covering shrik and things like that in the weather, but after measuring and comparing specs, it actually has a higher wing loading than many of similar size planes, so i dont think they are the ultimate plane by any means, some of the guys in my club now, and past club said they are the only way to go, i wasnt that impressed to say that, good plane, but heavy for the wing area imo, good for imac stuff i think, but not high alpha slow 3d stuff, and thats what i like to do, it had lots of wing rock in harriers, and i know that can be alot of things causing that, but i have had other planes and did them all the same way and had better results, so my guess is the wing loading was noticable in moves like that, i will miss it the plane, but i am looking forward to this 88 yak and some other 80cc plane to replace it, not for a while though, my wife will make me wait for a long time i think

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.