Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

no graphics either.....
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Nope...she flew naked for a month or so [:-]
Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
weezle

mine will fly naked for a month or so too[:'(]
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Mikecam

If the graphics aren't here the graphics aren't here. Although I must admit it flew much much better with the graphics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us55195.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1418074   Click image for larger version

Name:	oj28615.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1418075  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: weezle

my yak is ready for its maiden flight, hopefully this weekend it balances just a hair past 6 3/4.
When you maiden it listen to your inner voice for a clear "WOW". Or you just may yell it outloud. WOW !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Hello,

I am going to be removing the stabs. on my 88" Yak pretty much every flight and have been looking at the best way to deal with the servo wiring. Maybe a bulkhead connector hidden underneath the stabs, I think I saw some photos earler in the thread on doing this. But it also looks like one needs to be pretty careful to keep the wiring from getting into the linkage. So where does one poke the excess servo wiring to keep it clear of the linkage?

Thanks,

James
Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Hi James, we missed you last weekend at Z3D, it was awesome weather.

I really like my Deans 3 pin connector with fuse mount in the tail of my plane. It requires soldering the 3 pin connector into your servo extension coming up to the radio and on the servo side as well. They handle 10 amps, snap in place tightly and each time you put your wings or stabs on it is just plug em in.
I have them on the website under engine parts for $1.99 each.

So who of you guys are going to the Nall?

Richard

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Hello,

I am going to be removing the stabs. on my 88'' Yak pretty much every flight and have been looking at the best way to deal with the servo wiring. Maybe a bulkhead connector hidden underneath the stabs, I think I saw some photos earler in the thread on doing this. But it also looks like one needs to be pretty careful to keep the wiring from getting into the linkage. So where does one poke the excess servo wiring to keep it clear of the linkage?

Thanks,

James
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24479.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1418365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17464.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1418366  
Old 04-15-2010, 05:47 PM
diamondave

i dont suppose anyone has a majic remody to clean up a mess of CA on carpet? i spilled some the other day and it glued all the fibers together on the carpet, now there is a hard spot, oops, i dont want to cut it out if there is another way, my wife is kinda pissed plus we are in a rental, so that may be a problem when we leave.....
Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 PM
lokiyawl

Richard,

Your connectors look great, that may be the perfect answer for me. I am confused by the photo showing two leads apparently plugged in to one side of the plane in your photo? Did you set your plane up with a connector on each side or both on one side? Also, I am still wondering how to best deal with the 1' of servo wire coming off of the servo itself. Do you stuff it into the fuselage or maybe shorten the lead? My concern is getting a lead in the servo linkages.

Thanks for missing me at Z3D, I guess I am working too much. I hope that you had a great time there.

James

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

I really like my Deans 3 pin connector with fuse mount in the tail of my plane. It requires soldering the 3 pin connector into your servo extension coming up to the radio and on the servo side as well. They handle 10 amps, snap in place tightly and each time you put your wings or stabs on it is just plug em in.

Richard

Hello,

I am going to be removing the stabs. on my 88'' Yak pretty much every flight and have been looking at the best way to deal with the servo wiring. Maybe a bulkhead connector hidden underneath the stabs, I think I saw some photos earler in the thread on doing this. But it also looks like one needs to be pretty careful to keep the wiring from getting into the linkage. So where does one poke the excess servo wiring to keep it clear of the linkage?

Thanks,

James
Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: diamondave

sweet charles, i was expecting good things from you, def let us know how the pipe changes things, you going to wait a while to try it? just curious, id like to hear tach numbers and flight performance opinions
Thanks.

I'm going to wait long enough to get a good feel for the performance with the stock muffler. I'll do rpm comparisons but the flight performance difference is what i'm really after. I got a base line rpm with the 23A Yesterday. It was turning a solid 7250. I'm running a break-in mix at 40:1. I pulled the plug after the day of flying and it was a nice light tan. The pull out was very comparable with the last 88'' Yak I had with a Brillelli 60. I drilled my 23x8 Mej and 23B Vess yesterday. I plan to try them on the next time out.

Charles,
haven't been here in a while...
those are nice numbers for stock DA50!!!
off to SEFF next week, maybe you dad will be there?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

sweet charles, i was expecting good things from you, def let us know how the pipe changes things, you going to wait a while to try it? just curious, id like to hear tach numbers and flight performance opinions
Thanks.

I'm going to wait long enough to get a good feel for the performance with the stock muffler. I'll do rpm comparisons but the flight performance difference is what i'm really after. I got a base line rpm with the 23A Yesterday. It was turning a solid 7250. I'm running a break-in mix at 40:1. I pulled the plug after the day of flying and it was a nice light tan. The pull out was verycomparablewith the last 88'' Yak I had with a Brillelli 60. I drilled my 23x8 Mej and 23B Vess yesterday. I plan to try them on the next time out.

Charles,
haven't been here in a while...
those are nice numbers for stock DA50!!!
off to SEFF next week, maybe you dad will be there?
It is running good on the stock muffler.

I'm not going to be able to make SEFF. I've got vacation scheduled to go to the Joe Nall. SEFF and the Joe Nall are to close together so it's hard to go to both.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Gatorb8

Here is the video clip of my 88'' on the day of the Maiden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLtBfHdGLyM
Nice bus driving Ralph!!!
Norton
Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Gatorb8

Here is the video clip of my 88'' on the day of the Maiden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLtBfHdGLyM
Charles,

I really enjoyed watching your video. How much does your plane weigh? It apears to be really floaty. Some really nice flying.

James

Thanks. It weighs very close to 17lbs with the Carbon spinner I put on it. It's a very light flying plane. I'm really enjoying it. I was really getting comfortable with it after 7 more flights yesterday.
17 lbs! that's too light! 19 lbs is perfect!!!
hehehe
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Gatorb8

here is a vid of jeff having some fun, couple hovers, not sure if he go the tail in the vid, was real close, but i saw him do it for sure when i didnt have the camera, i saw the rudder deflect a bit as he bumped the ground.....a nice elevator in the vid too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJSDrB8ccw
don't ya love how that yak does the doooowwwwwwwwwn elevator!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Gatorb8

[quote]ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Richard

effin quote got ixed up!

no Nall for me this year, gonns try SEFF for a change of pace
give em HE double hockey stick for me!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

I think the pic above is of the 110 or a different larger plane using two elevator servos per elevator half???? Nice setup - I used the deans as well but only closer to the rx since I don't pull the stabs off.

To get the CA out of the carpet, soak in Acetone and blot up with paper towels, it will take FOREVER to get it all but you will eventually. Same method for getting it out of blue jeans (use search) but with that said, you could always get a carpet guy to cut a patch and replace it from a piece in a closet.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

I think the pic above is of the 110 or a different larger plane using two elevator servos per elevator half???? Nice setup - I used the deans as well but only closer to the rx since I don't pull the stabs off.

To get the CA out of the carpet, soak in Acetone and blot up with paper towels, it will take FOREVER to get it all but you will eventually. Same method for getting it out of blue jeans (use search) but with that said, you could always get a carpet guy to cut a patch and replace it from a piece in a closet.
i was wondering about patching it like that, i thought about doing it myself but wasnt sure how it would turn out, may end up with half the living room messed up, i do have some acetone but didnt think that would do anything, maybe i will try it, im thinking it may be beyond repair, i actually had the lid off the glue and the bottle fell over an i didnt see it right away, so there is a good size chunk of carpet, couple inches square id say, and now it looks kinda white and the carpet is a light tan, so i think it messed up the color too or that it just the glue itself, it feels like its down to the pad too, its pretty hard when you step on it..
Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Richard,

Your connectors look great, that may be the perfect answer for me. I am confused by the photo showing two leads apparently plugged in to one side of the plane in your photo? Did you set your plane up with a connector on each side or both on one side? Also, I am still wondering how to best deal with the 1' of servo wire coming off of the servo itself. Do you stuff it into the fuselage or maybe shorten the lead? My concern is getting a lead in the servo linkages.

Thanks for missing me at Z3D, I guess I am working too much. I hope that you had a great time there.

James

Richard

Hello,

Thanks,

James

Hi James, it is a larger plane with 4 elevator servos. On my servos I take the pins out of the JR Connector and clip them as close to the end as possible (for the solder to the deans) so that if I ever need to send the servos back or use them elsewhere they will have standard lengths, I simply crimp back new pins.

Trying to remember the elevator setup on the 88. How about a piece of foam to keep the wire from flopping around back there?

GatorB8, we will surely miss your antics at the Nall....

R
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
lokiyawl

Kevin,

I think that the 110" also uses a single servo per elevator side, so I am still confused about the two connections on one side of the fuselage?? Maybe Charles will be kind enough to to clear the air... I have had really good luck with the mini deans on small electrics so I think they would be a good choice for servo connections. I am however wondering about making a custom bulkhead connector using a servo extension so that I could use the lighter stock connections.

Yes, acetone is sort slow to work on CA, especially if it is a big thick glob. Maybe soaking a rag with acetone and then covering with some thick plastic to minimize evaporation would help the process...also open a couple windows, acetone is pretty volatile stuff!

James

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 AM
lokiyawl

Richard,

James

Richard

Hello,

Thanks,

James

Hi James, it is a larger plane with 4 elevator servos. On my servos I take the pins out of the JR Connector and clip them as close to the end as possible (for the solder to the deans) so that if I ever need to send the servos back or use them elsewhere they will have standard lengths, I simply crimp back new pins.

Trying to remember the elevator setup on the 88. How about a piece of foam to keep the wire from flopping around back there?

GatorB8, we will surely miss your antics at the Nall....

R
Richard,

Thanks for explaining about the dual connectors at the elevator..wow four servos on the elevators...that must be a huge plane! Have you ever considered making a bulkead connector using the stock JR connectors? Is there a problem with doing this in your opinion? Do you need a fancy tool to crimp the stock JR connectors on and do you solder also? It would be nice to have servo extensions that were just the right length without a soldered connection in the middle. Can you supply the JR connectors?

It was great meeting you an Gator at FX3D, and I enjoyed his antics more than he probably enjoyed mine I suspect. (grin) I will see you both at FX3D next year if you decide to attend..should be a blast.

James
Old 04-16-2010, 11:28 AM

James, to me the benefit (why Charles uses them too) of the Deans 3 pin plugs is that they can take 10 amps continuous...it is not that you are going to use it.... but I think of JR connectors (most people say 3 amps continuous) inline like toll roads on the highway....it is a bottleneck for the best current draw you can get from your wire. A highway that can let 3 cars through the toll road in a given time versus 10 in the same time will let more traffic flow....in this case current.

You will find GatorB8 and Charles (both electronically inclined) doing away with as many JR connectors as is possible in line, and that is where I got on the bandwagon.

Remember, when DC current travels a longer run in a given wire the amount of voltage loss (however small it is) increases with the distance..putting in toll roads can only exasperate the problem....more voltage to the servos means more torque/power/speed.

When making custom extensions it is imperative to have a good crimp tool (at least for me). They can be had for about 20 bucks. Soldering JR pins is a no-no.....makes a brittle connection more likely to give under vibration.

So who is going to the Nall, beside GatorB8 who we know is heading for the high country??
Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Also James, if you dont mind having your plane down for a few days you can send me your servos and I can make you the custom lengths that you want. All you have to do when you get it back is to mount it and fly.

To answer one of your questions I forgot, I do have gold plated universal servo JR style connectors plus the deans 3 pins. Use lots of them in making the batteries.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 PM
lokiyawl

Richard,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, suggestions and the offer to install the min Deans on my servos. It would be interesting to know how the resistance of the stock JR connectors compare to the actual lead wire. And on that note, what gauge wire do you think should be used for the longer runs back to the elevator? I think that the HD servo leads I have ordered are 20 gauge. The pins on the JR connectors are sure a lot smaller than the Dean's and are probably more vulnerable to getting broken off over time. One thing I was wondering is whether the the Deans pins are all inset in the blukhead connectors, or whether any of the pins stick out and are also vulnerable to being bent or broken off? If I provided the lengths, could you make up the bulkhead fittings with the JR connectors ready to be plugged into the RX? My soldering skills are decent, so I should be ok putting the ends on the servos..but I might go ahead and send those to you too.. I will let you know. Thanks for the tip about not soldering the JR pins, I didn't know that would make a brittle connection..why is that?

Thanks,

James

James, to me the benefit (why Charles uses them too) of the Deans 3 pin plugs is that they can take 10 amps continuous...it is not that you are going to use it.... but I think of JR connectors (most people say 3 amps continuous) inline like toll roads on the highway....it is a bottleneck for the best current draw you can get from your wire. A highway that can let 3 cars through the toll road in a given time versus 10 in the same time will let more traffic flow....in this case current.

You will find GatorB8 and Charles (both electronically inclined) doing away with as many JR connectors as is possible in line, and that is where I got on the bandwagon.

Remember, when DC current travels a longer run in a given wire the amount of voltage loss (however small it is) increases with the distance..putting in toll roads can only exasperate the problem....more voltage to the servos means more torque/power/speed.

When making custom extensions it is imperative to have a good crimp tool (at least for me). They can be had for about 20 bucks. Soldering JR pins is a no-no.....makes a brittle connection more likely to give under vibration.

So who is going to the Nall, beside GatorB8 who we know is heading for the high country??
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Mikecam

Well guys guess what, after having the Yak up from the dry basement the pull pull rudder wires have tightened up on there own. Looks like I may need to take out half a turn. [X(]

I did have one other problem today. Plugged everything together and started the DL to warm her up. After a few minutes I checked the surfaces before heading to the runway and one of my elevators was not working. Pulled it apart at the field and swapped channels and it still did not help. Figured I blew a Hitec 7955 so home I go to test it on the HPP-21 programmer before I head done to the LHS to pick up a spare. Plugged it into the programmer and after a second it started working. Almost like it had to reboot itself. I though okay put it back together and check endpoints, everything was fine. Went back to the field and put 4 flights on her. Anybody ever heard of this before, should I be concerned and send the servo in. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:09 PM

James, I sent you a PM. Did not intend to hijack any thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.