Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Reply
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
  #10801
Slow and Steady
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 912
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Thanks, I will be starting out with the stock muffler, and may transition to the pipe later. I appreciate the help.
Slow and Steady is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM
  #10802
fireblade5437
 
fireblade5437's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Leicester, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 920
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

I can definately vouch for the DLE55 and the MTW #2 pipe power is great and so is the build quality. I had mine at the doorstep in 2 days from Germany to the UK great service!

Alan
fireblade5437 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
  #10803
Barry Cazier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Posts: 3,931
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Nice look bird Fireblade.
Nice.
Barry
Barry Cazier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
  #10804
diamondave
 
diamondave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: marana, AZ
Posts: 2,729
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

hey barry if you want to keep driving south come down to tucson and fly with me, its been in the 70's here, sunny, darn near perfect weather, here is our tenday forcast, those 80s are above normal, i think its supposed to be 74ish around now

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/85653
diamondave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 AM
  #10805
Barry Cazier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Posts: 3,931
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Rub it in....Rub it in.

As a young man I spent two years in Arizona. Part of that time was Tucson. I thought it was extremely hot and said I'd never go back. Since I've aged some it now looks very attractive. For the first time I think I'm gonna spend some time south this winter. I like to go to the motorcycle races in January in Pheonix. Maybe I'll spend an extra day or two and look you up. It would be very fun to fly with someone I've met here on RCU. I hope to spend 2 weeks in St. George, Las Vegas and maybe Arizona. I'll probably spend only two weeks at a time then come back home to work for a few weeks than back. I'm gonna have to see how it goes....but that's the plan.

Thanks
Barry
Barry Cazier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 AM
  #10806
Slow and Steady
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 912
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Diamond Dave, Your weather sounds like South Florida. Today it was around 80 and a light breeze. And thankfully hurricane season is almost over.

Barry, I guess I am not the only "older guy" on this site who appreciates the warm weather! I visited Jackson Hole (one of your neighboring towns) five times in the 80s, and was told most newcomers don't last the winter due to the temperature.
Slow and Steady is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:46 AM
  #10807
Barry Cazier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Posts: 3,931
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

I do work over in Jackson Hole quite often. It can be cold there...but the tourists are far more intimidating to me. It is overrun with people sometimes. In the summer it's people looking to see Indiana Jones....in the winter it's ski bums.

Anyways....great area, but less great because of the people.

your Florida weather looks attractive to me....at least in the winter....but the humidity looks scary in the summer.

Thanks
Barry
Barry Cazier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:53 AM
  #10808
Slow and Steady
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 912
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

The humidity in the summer can be in the 90s with temps to match. Alot different from Idaho Falls and Jackson Hole, I would imagine.

When it comes to tourists, it is probably alot like Jackson in summer, only year round.
Slow and Steady is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 AM
  #10809
fallingleaf
 
fallingleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 377
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Hmmm think I will pass on the Yak....found out peak models are just down the road so they are a local and I can get a SU26 (love that plane as a subject more than the yak) 50cc for $499 which is ALOT cheaper than the extreme flight yak....and its a plane I like. They look good and nice and strong.

http://www.peakmodel.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=792

Thanks very much for the help and advice lads....sound like a mean plane but not at that price for me
fallingleaf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:32 AM
  #10810
diamondave
 
diamondave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: marana, AZ
Posts: 2,729
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

i think you would like the way the efyak flies better than that one will, but i understand money for sure....

barry that would be cool if you came down, i grew up in pennsylvania near philly, had enough of those winters, no that im here in az and im getting older the cold seems to bother me more than it used to, the good thing about az is if you like snow and cold, there are several mountains withing driving distance to go check out, enjoy it, then go back down to the warmer valley
diamondave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
  #10811
Barry Cazier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Posts: 3,931
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

BTW
Thanks to Extreme Flight!!(Chris)
I had to ship a cowl and some elevator parts off my QQ Yak to a fellow who needed them. I used the box you supplied from one of the planes I order from EF. It is an exceptional box that is very sturdy. Worked perfectly.

So you guys even help us when we're not buying planes.
Thanks
Barry Cazier
Barry Cazier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM
  #10812
diamondave
 
diamondave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: marana, AZ
Posts: 2,729
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

this thread cant die.....im actually considering getting another one myself, been a few years since i sold mine to fund the 110yak, although that is by far my favorite plane ever, i miss having the smaller version, and now i have all the gear for it too.....the only other thing i was considering is the goldwingrc pitts12, always wanted a bipe, but would be taking on gamble not knowing how that one flies, cant find much about it on forums either, plus id need 2 more servos and an 8ch reciever to do it right, so leaning toward another 88 maybe in russian thunder....
diamondave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
  #10813
lokiyawl
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88


Quote:
ORIGINAL: diamondave

this thread cant die.....im actually considering getting another one myself, been a few years since i sold mine to fund the 110yak, although that is by far my favorite plane ever, i miss having the smaller version, and now i have all the gear for it too.....the only other thing i was considering is the goldwingrc pitts12, always wanted a bipe, but would be taking on gamble not knowing how that one flies, cant find much about it on forums either, plus id need 2 more servos and an 8ch reciever to do it right, so leaning toward another 88 maybe in russian thunder....

Diamonddave,

Nice to see a post on this thread again! I am still loving owning my 88" Yak. I got in 5 nice flights this past week. It has been windy here in Nova Scotia so there have not been too many good flying days. It is supposed to be cold but we haven't even had frost here in the past week and a half and the ground is totally bare. In fact I am quite sure that the grass is growing though slowly!

I have found that my 88" Yak will fit nicely into my Chevy Lumina. Just lay the seats all back, open all of the doors and I can swng it in from the front passenger door. the nose ends up sitting on a comfy seat while the tail lays back in the Vee created by the back window. I don't have to remove anything except for the stabs, which is a cinch with Wrong ways servo connectors so it is really easy to get this plane to the field and set it up. I now have about 100 flights on my Yak with no mishaps and no deadsticks with the Plettenberg powerplant. I have done some tuning on the plane but have a lot more to do. It flies fantastic, I can't wait for next summer and fall...

James
lokiyawl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 PM
  #10814
lokiyawl
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

After about 100 fights of flying off of a paved strip, my foam tail wheel is worn down to the plastic hub and the rubber stock wheels main wheels are probably 1/4" smaller! I never saw much wear on the stock wheels on my 74" Yak when flying off of grass but apparently pavement is a lot tougher on them . I was just wondering what kind of service I should get out of the Kavan air tires that I plan to put on? And are the stock plastic hubs for the Kavans ok for a 19 lb. plane?

James
lokiyawl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
  #10815
JoeAirPort
 
JoeAirPort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,259
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Taken abuse from me for 2 years no problem. People love the PSP alum rims if you don't mind the extra money.
JoeAirPort is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM
  #10816
diamondave
 
diamondave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: marana, AZ
Posts: 2,729
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

i had the kavon plastic hubs on my old one, 19.25lbs, lasted 2 years or so until i sold it and still going as far as i know, the tread did wear out on pavement, on the inside from the gear flexing i guess, looked like it needed a front end alignment by the tires....anyway id get them again in a hearbeat, ive seen people with the same ones on grass and they last forever apparently
diamondave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
  #10817
lokiyawl
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88


Quote:
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Taken abuse from me for 2 years no problem. People love the PSP alum rims if you don't mind the extra money.
Joe,

Thanks for the tip. I really like this plane and expect to be flying it for a long time so a few extra bucks for nice rims would be a good "investment". (grin) I own a back up airframe that I plan to build to have it ready just in case the worst happens... I have a set of Graph tech landing gear but so far have used the stock gear. It is amazingly flexible but so far I haven't bent it. I have heard others talk about how it takes a lot of stress off of the fuse, any opinions? It's always nice to save a bit of weight but this plane for some reason seems to carry an extra half pound without me noticing it much. I bought several diffent sets of flight batteries thinking that I might want to go as light as possible but I like the largest and heaviest batteries the best just because I can get longer flight times.. I can't really feel the difference between 19 1/4 pounds and 18 3/4 but that is probably just me. This plane feels light, flies light but still solid.

James
lokiyawl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:26 PM
  #10818
lokiyawl
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88


Quote:
ORIGINAL: diamondave

i had the kavon plastic hubs on my old one, 19.25lbs, lasted 2 years or so until i sold it and still going as far as i know, the tread did wear out on pavement, on the inside from the gear flexing i guess, looked like it needed a front end alignment by the tires....anyway id get them again in a hearbeat, ive seen people with the same ones on grass and they last forever apparently
Diamonddave,

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the Kavans must wear a lot better than the stock rubber wheels then, good to know. Did yours ever wear to the point that they lost air? I have a second set as a backup just in case. I am going to look into the PSP rims that Joe mentioned. But I sure know what you mean about the tires wearing faster in the inside due to the flexing gear..probably should be rotating them!

Have you decided yet to build a new 88" Yak? I like the Russian Thunder scheme too, really nice.
James
lokiyawl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 PM
  #10819
xtraflyr
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 2,295
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Hey Guys,it's great to see this thread still going strong ! I still have mine,but I stole the motor off of it and put it on my EF Edge 540T.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it though,and since we just bought ourselves a house for Christmas,not sure when I'm going to get it back going again.. But on the brighter side I have a whole basement now to work on projects!

I might sell it and the Matt Chapman 580 Cap airframe and use the 100cc motor and gear and get a 110" Russian Thunder or the red/white like my 88" is..

Dave just remember a bipe takes some putting together and breaking down time at the field.

I'll keep stopping in from time to time and make sure you guys are still alive and kickin !

Cya, Frank...
xtraflyr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 AM
  #10820
diamondave
 
diamondave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: marana, AZ
Posts: 2,729
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

i had the non air tires so never got a flat

im still in the air on what to do, that goldwing pitts looks pretty sweet, and there is a yellow/black one that looks like similar colors to my 110yak, as for putting it together at the field thats the other good thing, its only 71" span so im pretty sure i can leave it assembled and put it in my trailer maybe on a diagonal and should fit, it will take up more room in my garage but i can swing it i think, and that would save tons of time, not just for the bipe but even a mono too, i could just take it out and top off tank and go....we'll see, it looks cool and always wanted a bipe, but i already know this yak would keep me happy again, that bipe may be a gamble, only saw a few reports on it so far and theyve been encouraging, but certainly not 400 something pages of people loving it
diamondave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 AM
  #10821
JoeAirPort
 
JoeAirPort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,259
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88


Quote:
ORIGINAL: lokiyawl


Quote:
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Taken abuse from me for 2 years no problem. People love the PSP alum rims if you don't mind the extra money.
Joe,

Thanks for the tip. I really like this plane and expect to be flying it for a long time so a few extra bucks for nice rims would be a good ''investment''. (grin) I own a back up airframe that I plan to build to have it ready just in case the worst happens... I have a set of Graph tech landing gear but so far have used the stock gear. It is amazingly flexible but so far I haven't bent it. I have heard others talk about how it takes a lot of stress off of the fuse, any opinions? It's always nice to save a bit of weight but this plane for some reason seems to carry an extra half pound without me noticing it much. I bought several diffent sets of flight batteries thinking that I might want to go as light as possible but I like the largest and heaviest batteries the best just because I can get longer flight times.. I can't really feel the difference between 19 1/4 pounds and 18 3/4 but that is probably just me. This plane feels light, flies light but still solid.

James
James,

I prefer the stock alum gear. After pan caking my EF Extra I learned how the gear can save your fuse. And also you can just bend the gear back.

Joe
JoeAirPort is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 AM
  #10822
lokiyawl
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

James,

I prefer the stock alum gear. After pan caking my EF Extra I learned how the gear can save your fuse. And also you can just bend the gear back.

Joe

Joe,

So far I have been able to keep the pancakes and my Yak seperate but I see your point. I wonder which is easier to land on? I had the carbon on my 74" and it didn't have the spring in it. Worked out fine on that plane but for sure my 88" is even easier to land and maybe the gear is part of that. I think that since I have it, i will put my carbon gear together with my PSP titanium axles, PSP rims and the Kavans and see how I like it. So what about the tail wheel? Any suggestions there?

James
lokiyawl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 AM
  #10823
lokiyawl
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88


Quote:
ORIGINAL: diamondave

i had the non air tires so never got a flat

im still in the air on what to do, that goldwing pitts looks pretty sweet, and there is a yellow/black one that looks like similar colors to my 110yak, as for putting it together at the field thats the other good thing, its only 71'' span so im pretty sure i can leave it assembled and put it in my trailer maybe on a diagonal and should fit, it will take up more room in my garage but i can swing it i think, and that would save tons of time, not just for the bipe but even a mono too, i could just take it out and top off tank and go....we'll see, it looks cool and always wanted a bipe, but i already know this yak would keep me happy again, that bipe may be a gamble, only saw a few reports on it so far and theyve been encouraging, but certainly not 400 something pages of people loving it
Diamondave,

I really like the looks of the Hanger 9 100CC Beast myself. I bought a couple of the micos by Eflite since I liked it so much and found out that they didn't fly the way I like, slow and controlled. They zip around and are great for pattern stuff but what I really like to do is to be able to fly my planes low, slow and close and though I only have 100 flights on my 88 Yak I am already quite comfortable with it and I don't think that would be the case with the Beast. It's nice that there are so many options out there, I hope that you find a plane that you really like. I think that regardless of what plane I get in the future that the 88 Yak will live in my house. (grin)

James

James
lokiyawl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM
  #10824
JoeAirPort
 
JoeAirPort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,259
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Quote:
ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Joe,

So far I have been able to keep the pancakes and my Yak seperate but I see your point. I wonder which is easier to land on? I had the carbon on my 74'' and it didn't have the spring in it. Worked out fine on that plane but for sure my 88'' is even easier to land and maybe the gear is part of that. I think that since I have it, i will put my carbon gear together with my PSP titanium axles, PSP rims and the Kavans and see how I like it. So what about the tail wheel? Any suggestions there?

James
The Yak is just easy to land period. I would think either gear would be fine. The newer CF weaves have more flex I hear.

Stock tail wheel setup is great. I have abused mine with lots of harrier landings and it's 100% like it was new. I have not had to do anything to this Yak since I bought it. It's holding up like it was new. In fact it looks new! And I fly the heck out of it!

PS: Whups I forgot, I did have to cut the covering and balsa behind the canopy bolts. Was crushing the balsa. I need to glue a circular disk of ply in that hole. The balsa that was left detached from the canopy after many flights. Very minor though. Just cosmetic. I also glassed over some tiny cracks starting on the inside of the cowling. All normal maintenance after a few hundred flights.
JoeAirPort is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM
  #10825
lokiyawl
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Titusville, FL
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88


Quote:
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Quote:
ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Joe,

So far I have been able to keep the pancakes and my Yak seperate but I see your point. I wonder which is easier to land on? I had the carbon on my 74'' and it didn't have the spring in it. Worked out fine on that plane but for sure my 88'' is even easier to land and maybe the gear is part of that. I think that since I have it, i will put my carbon gear together with my PSP titanium axles, PSP rims and the Kavans and see how I like it. So what about the tail wheel? Any suggestions there?

James
The Yak is just easy to land period. I would think either gear would be fine. The newer CF weaves have more flex I hear.

Stock tail wheel setup is great. I have abused mine with lots of harrier landings and it's 100% like it was new. I have not had to do anything to this Yak since I bought it. It's holding up like it was new. In fact it looks new! And I fly the heck out of it!

PS: Whups I forgot, I did have to cut the covering and balsa behind the canopy bolts. Was crushing the balsa. I need to glue a circular disk of ply in that hole. The balsa that was left detached from the canopy after many flights. Very minor though. Just cosmetic. I also glassed over some tiny cracks starting on the inside of the cowling. All normal maintenance after a few hundred flights.
Joe,

The tail gear is holding up great on my plane as well with the exception of the tail wheel itself which is worn down to the plastic hub. But yes, I have also found that landing my 88 Yak is really easy, even on pavement. On pavement one needs to be a little more careful to be sure that the plane is lined up with the runway before touch down but with all of that rudder it doesn't take much. I don't have any cracks anywhere so far, but then the Plettenberg doesn't make any vibration which probably helps. I would like to find some T headed bolts for the canopy so that I don't need a tool for that or an easier way to open the canopy since I am in there each flight changing batteries. I am sure looking forward to getting a few hundred more flights on my Yak! I hope that you are able to get some flying in over the winter.

James
lokiyawl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:03 AM.