Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Cobra_03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: diamondave

cobra: she is a big baby on low rates, dont worry about a thing, you will be smiling asayto
Thanks Dave, it's looking like rain for us here in Washington for the weekend. Go figure. Maybe I can sneak a maiden in between rain drops![sm=idea.gif]
Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Gatorb8

24 hrs and no posts...........slow day for the EF 88" yak!

I would be curious to know the range of weight added to the wing tips for lateral balance.

what have you guys added to the wing tips to get her to float-flat?

I'm doing tests and seems right wing tip needs 1-2 oz, is that normal?

Gator

Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Here is one from today.

Rocky will be two years old I think this month.

This is with the JC SuperProp 23x7....good spool up, great pull best of both worlds between 22 and 23 inch props

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKc4hekLPdE

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10577.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1155735  
Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Here is one from today.

Rocky will be two years old I think this month.

This is with the JC SuperProp 23x7....good spool up, great pull best of both worlds between 22 and 23 inch props

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKc4hekLPdE

Richard,
was that the infamous wrongwaycam???
We need to work on a bionic zoom interface, I think you would be a perfect test vehicle..........I have the brain probes all designed, we just need to do a little mapping of your brain it won't hurt a bit (if you drink wiskey first!)

nice prop! I should have tried one at fx3d but as you know I was busy .....
Gator

Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

bionic zoom interface,

Does that mean you have to drill a hole in my head???

On the WrongWay cam you have to learn to glide like a beauty queen or else the camera transmits the thump thump thump of your foot steps. (I was not doing so well today) Also, like the pageant contestant you can't look back and forth and move your head much or it makes the viewers dizzy. Really is a knack to video yourself when flying...but if you notice in the vid, the field was empty and nobody around.

I was not happy with my Yak today. I did some servo switching and wound up with JR8411's on elevators....nice servo but I only have 1.25 inch arms, certainly not enough throw....gotta go back to 1.5's or more and try for bevel to bevel.

I was also having fun with my 58 inch Slide with Saito 100. Something about a lesser expensive plane and the pucker factor...and the 11 ounces per square wing loading makes you want to get it down......great plane to practice for the 50cc and higher which certainly turn more heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxyhTwhLCQ
BTW this has the JC SuperProp 16x4 on there....the wood is so much better than others as it is very dense, stiff, and hard.....In the last century Brazil exported this wood to the wealthy in Europe to make broom stick handles that lasted and did not break or bend. . Pau Marfim (translates to Wood Ivory) only grows in South America, mostly in Brazil.

You missed it at FX3D when Dmitriy burried his 29x8 in the dirt when the gear collapsed. It went in with the motor running and was up to mid blade....Wiped off the dirt and ready to fly. .... Good stuff.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

bionic zoom interface,

Does that mean you have to drill a hole in my head???

On the WrongWay cam you have to learn to glide like a beauty queen or else the camera transmits the thump thump thump of your foot steps. (I was not doing so well today) Also, like the pageant contestant you can't look back and forth and move your head much or it makes the viewers dizzy. Really is a knack to video yourself when flying...but if you notice in the vid, the field was empty and nobody around.

I was not happy with my Yak today. I did some servo switching and wound up with JR8411's on elevators....nice servo but I only have 1.25 inch arms, certainly not enough throw....gotta go back to 1.5's or more and try for bevel to bevel.

I was also having fun with my 58 inch Slide with Saito 100. Something about a lesser expensive plane and the pucker factor...and the 11 ounces per square wing loading makes you want to get it down......great plane to practice for the 50cc and higher which certainly turn more heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxyhTwhLCQ
BTW this has the JC SuperProp 16x4 on there....the wood is so much better than others as it is very dense, stiff, and hard.....In the last century Brazil exported this wood to the wealthy in Europe to make broom stick handles that lasted and did not break or bend. . Pau Marfim (translates to Wood Ivory) only grows in South America, mostly in Brazil.

You missed it at FX3D when Dmitriy burried his 29x8 in the dirt when the gear collapsed. It went in with the motor running and was up to mid blade....Wiped off the dirt and ready to fly. .... Good stuff.
Whoooooo,
learn something every day...didn't comprehend the skill required for the wrongwaycam!, didn't realize you were a Jr Miss Trained Queen!.........Just kidding! Ok, 1 free shot at me!!!

I twisted my gear back to the fuze AGAIN on a deadstick....had a BF and ran a Rx battery dead, I knew I would do it so i have 2 Rx and 2 batts.....but the Rx that died controlled the optical ignition kill........didn't think of that......so the smart fly dual Rx ignition kill is in the mail.....if one rx drops out the ignition will still go....until the other batt dies.....that would take a double BF and in that case I deserve sticks of balsa!!!
Gator
Gator
Old 03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
jnj55024

Well my new EF 88" Yak arrived today!!![8D] New here to this forum so I just wanted to say, I have made it from page one to page seventy so far, awesome info and thanks a bunch to Maudib for starting this and doing such a great job of documenting his build.

I also have to say thank you to the EF team and Chris. I ordered on Monday and it arrived to MN on Wednesday. Great shape, great looking plane. I think the reason I chose it was because of all you posters raving about this plane and the great videos by Higher Plane. I am coming off of a H9 Extra 260 27% so this thing is a monster in comparison.

I am trying to decide on the exhaust set up, I have a DL-50 from the Extra and like the looks of the KS1060 or the MTW tuned pipe so far. I can't stand the stock exhaust, too noisy for me and for some reason on my last flight the stack broke off.

Anybody have suggestions for me?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

My DA50 turned a Vess 23A at 7600rpm on the MTW 75 pipe on Amsoil 100:1. Instant throttle response. Awesome power on pull out. Only draw back is the exhaust stinger didn't quite extend past the belly of the fuse. I simply put in an angle plate "diverter" behind the exhaust. Works just fine. 200 flights.

Doug
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 AM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

Go with the pipe or cannister if you prefer less noise. I started my gas experience with a pitts rear dump muffler and quickly swapped that out for a cannister ... quieter and more pleasing (IMO.) Going to use a pipe next.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Gatorb8

I got through break-in (again, don't ask) and switched from break-in prop vess 22a to a vess 23a. What a difference! Seems not to torque roll as much, floats through manuvers, I can't figure why but even seems to snap less.........WOW even does a better landing glide path, no more wing tip stall.......

I was doing inverted flat spins and a senior very experienced pilot came over and asked how I did it.....big smile
I love this plane!
Gator
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Man I'm jealous! I haven't flown mine in so long!! Now that I'm almost moved into my new place,I hope to get out next week,as long as the weather stays "Jersey Fresh"...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Man I'm jealous! I haven't flown mine in so long!! Now that I'm almost moved into my new place,I hope to get out next week,as long as the weather stays "Jersey Fresh"...
xtraflyr,
Spring has sprung down here, it's commin' you way I'm sure! Hang in there!
gator
Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

you guys that have used choke servos, what do you use? is a standard old nylon gear good enough, like a 425, or do we need metal for vibration like a 645? just curious, thinking about adding to a few planes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Gatorb8

you guys that have used choke servos, what do you use? is a standard old nylon gear good enough, like a 425, or do we need metal for vibration like a 645? just curious, thinking about adding to a few planes
diamondave,
I use a optical ignition kill and manual choke, can't help ya there
I do use a hi-tec 225-mg mini on the throttle though, would use another if I did a choke
Gator
Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 PM
diamondave

yeh some people say even though the 225 has the torque, the smaller gear set cant handle vibration, i just got the chinn yak with a saito 82 and ef says to use any standard size case servos just for that reason, even on that small thing, so not sure about 225's on a big gas plane, i use 5625's on my throttles, i know you dont need the torque but those are nice and quick too on 6v, anyway for choke its only used to start it, i wont use it to kill it, but i still wouldnt want to have gear sets going bad even if its on something not as "important"
Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Gatorb8

yeh some people say even though the 225 has the torque, the smaller gear set cant handle vibration, i just got the chinn yak with a saito 82 and ef says to use any standard size case servos just for that reason, even on that small thing, so not sure about 225's on a big gas plane, i use 5625's on my throttles, i know you dont need the torque but those are nice and quick too on 6v, anyway for choke its only used to start it, i wont use it to kill it, but i still wouldnt want to have gear sets going bad even if its on something not as "important"
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into it, may be a weak link.....? I thought Curtis told me it would be ok, I'll call and ask.
Gator
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 PM
xtraflyr

Ive been using the 225mg mini on mine for 2 years without a problem,OOPS!! Hope I just didn't jinx myself!!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Gatorb8

Ive been using the 225mg mini on mine for 2 years without a problem,OOPS!! Hope I just didn't jinx myself!!
EFYAKINVERTEDFLATSPINHOVERKNIFEEDGEWATERFALLROLLIN GHARRIERLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWPONDDIP
There, the jinx has been negated!
gator
Old 03-13-2009, 06:25 AM
diamondave

well they told me for the surfaces on the chinnyak anyway, mini is okay for throttle, but someone on here once said they had 225 go bad on throttle of gas plane, i think more than one person mentioned that actually, maybe they will chime in
Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Had a 225 on the throttle and killed the gear train. I've run a 5625 for 400 plus flights without a hitch. Believe it or not, I have a 5955 on my choke on my 110" Yak. Why? Because I had one that wasn't doing anything. AND, it can handle my A123 voltage unregulated.

Doug
Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Gatorb8

well they told me for the surfaces on the chinnyak anyway, mini is okay for throttle, but someone on here once said they had 225 go bad on throttle of gas plane, i think more than one person mentioned that actually, maybe they will chime in
diamondave,
I did a search on "225 and mg and throttle" , found a small sample of mixed results. Some used for years with no problem, some had repeated failures.

I can see where setting a throttle servo up on a digital servo is critical. If the endpoints are not set perfect, with limits and low idle in mind, it would be easy to kill a throttle servo. Some radios have the capability, some don't.

I am concerned to hear about "any" 225mg throttle failures, think I'll just change it out. I'll take it apart and take a close look, has about 6 gallons on it.
thx
Gator
Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Dave,

I've used 3004 Futaba's and 475 Hitec's without any problems on the choke. None of my planes have choke servos now but I like having them. I used to always kill my DA50 with the choke and I would start back up on the first flip probably 8 out of 10 times when I go out for another flight.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

EFYAKINVERTEDFLATSPINHOVERKNIFEEDGEWATERFALLROLLIN GHARRIERLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWPONDDIP
There, the jinx has been negated!
gator
Thanks Gatorb8! I feel much better now!!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

I have a 225 on my choke and it seems to be fine for the job. I also use it for a kill.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

Dave,

I've used 3004 Futaba's and 475 Hitec's without any problems on the choke. None of my planes have choke servos now but I like having them. I used to always kill my DA50 with the choke and I would start back up on the first flip probably 8 out of 10 times when I go out for another flight.

thanks, i will try a 425 or 475 then, i heard somewhere you shoulnt kill the motor with it though, something about leaving fuel in there or something? i forget the details but it was a no-no i thought, i figure it will be an extra safety thing to since i no longer use the smart fly fiber optic kill deal, i had one of those go bad so i took them out of my planes, i figure with a choke i can kill it if the throttle gets messed up, and the ease of starting sounds good, my sd yak i reach in a hole in the cowl with a screw driver to operate choke, and my 110 i ran a choke lever out the bottom of the cowl, i was so proud of how it turned out and how well it works, but i soon realized every time i prime it with choke closed, it drips some fuel on my rod and runs down, so i get fuel on my fingertips everytime i start[:@], i just lick them clean but id like to stop doing that, making me goofy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.